Mouse vs TrackBall Debate

RandomBox

I am attempting to spark a lively debate here, so bare with me!I am an old school TrackBall kinda guy! But not just any TrackBall! I am talking about the ONLY one worth having!I'll get to the specifics in a second, once I finish my preamble!I think we (you?) all take the mouse for granted and it should NOT be that way! Especially in light of the fact that it is one of the MOST widely used devices in any system! I am not solely talking about the ergonomic issue(s) here, folks!I think the "mouse' is the work of the Devil!Why do we (you?) never even question this little piece of hardware??Especially when it is such a significant part of our (your?) computing experience??Why must we (you?) clutch the mouse as if our (your?) life depended on it and never even think about any alternatives??Why must we (you?) have to purchase a MousePad to make the dang thingy work properly??Why must we (you?) keep having to center it back on the mouse pad, when you have fallen off one side or another??Why must we (you?) have to take it apart to clean the fuzz out of it, often??Sup widdat? :blink: Have I touched a nerve yet?? I sure the heck hope so! But before my punchline, I must tell you that primates have a thumb NOT for doing precision work! Our thumbs are for heavy-duty tasks such as hanging from limbs and/or for grasping things!Why else would the thumb only have TWO joints, as opposed to the three joints for each of the other four digits/hand???Why would the thumb be short, stubby and fatter??Now consider the alternative!I have been using a TrackBall for at least 5 years but not just ANY TrackBall and especially NOT one that requires operation by the thumb!I solely use the KensingtonExpertMousePro. Everything else is an also-ran!*Four buttons around the ball!*A scroll wheel on top of the ball!*Six programmable quick keys atop of the wheel! *Much smaller foot-print!*Does not require repositioning! *Built with ball bearings! *Requires no maintenance or upkeep!*No need for a mouse pad!*PS2 or USB connectivity! *A FIVE year warranty!Oh, I hear you say you want more, much more >>> pffft >>:*How about the fact that you can remove the 2" ball just by lifting it?*You can actually replace it with any pool ball (but not the cue ball which is slightly larger than the rest of the numbered pool balls)! I presently use a "reverse" 8ball in mine!*Customizable software This is my 5th generation Kensington TrackBall! Even my original one is still in use on one of my friend's system!Downside? A few:*Price $100! *One week acclimation period to break your old habit of clutching a mouse!No, I don't work for Kensington! I am only attempting to have you explore an alternative that I consider worth the initial money outlay!It will make you more productive, faster, provide more comfort, and yield less strain on your wrist!But don't make the mistake and get an alternate TrackBall! This is the real McCoy!Worse that happens is that after a week's time; you return it back to the store and write me an email and cuss me out! :(

Great subject, I believe the subtitle coul be "Breaking the Paradigm". :( I was recently reading about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome somewhere, (maybe here!!) and the mouse was a major sticking point. I know that my mouse hand begins to ache after long hours of mouse use. I have been working on learning more and more keyboard shortcuts to use the mouse less. Plus it's like 4 times faster (according to SOMEbody or another :( ) probably Bruno!!Then again, a new Mayo clinic study "suggests" that computer use does NOT increase the chance of CTS. however, it was a "small" study and the reccomend more research into the subject. :blink:

Nice try... but I see a cord... there is nothing that your funcky track ball can do that my MS cordless 4-button Wheel red-eye optical can't do... except connect to a Mac and work with out software...A bit of wisdom... never bring a knife to a gun fight...

I've tried several track balls, and even use a Swann mouse on one of my computers that has a track ball instead of a scroll wheel built in...and my one complaint has been the difficulty I have doing any kind of drag&drop operation with a ball, probably because I don't understand how. With one, I had to hold down the "left click" button while dragging with the ball, using the other hand. Very inconvenient. It is a good alternative to have around, though, like my Aiptek pad...good for some things but not for everyday use. And yes, I returned my $99 track ball after two weeks, but I won't give you any grief about that. :blink:

nlinecomputers

I hate trackballs for one thing they make my thumb hurt. I've never found one that will let me be as percise as a mouse does. If it works great for you that fantastic. The nice things about computers is there is no right way to do anything. What works for you is what works the best.

Track balls have always been too imprecise for my tastes. And as stated above, your thumb isn't made for precision work.Regular mice (wired or not) have always bothered my hand (fells frozen in a curled position after a hard day at the computer). And I just don't see the logic in having to have a clear desk area to move the thing around in.For years I have been using one variety or another of touchpad mice. For the last few, I use a Cirque Cruisecat (http://www.cirque.com/products/cruise.html). I can scroll web pages back or forward, scroll a web page up, down, left or right, zoom pages in Office, add a custom command (I've added minimize) and more. What I like the most is being able to scroll from wherever I am on a page without having to move over to the scroll bar (we had this before the wheel mouse became popular). All in a 3" x 2" touchpad area.Cleaning is as simple as wiping it down with water now and then and best of all, my hand and wrist don't hurt after a day at the computer.However, experience has shown that many people just don't like touchpads and have difficulty adjusting to their use. Woman in particular (when they have long nails) seem to have the most problems.

Let me clarify a couple issues based on a few replies!I never said that the specific Kensington TrackBall is a thumb operated one! I would NEVER suggest such a thing and this specific model is operated via the middle fingers and NOT the thumb!Please also notice that I never indicated anything about CTS in my discussion and that was intentional!Maybe I did not make my point clear! Please try this Link again and observe the location of the ball!Drag-and-Drop only uses the thumb to hold the left "mouse" button! But if you wish you can customize the buttons where chording allows the motion of holding down the left button! The software allows precision settings to be changed as well as accelaration and speed of the movement! I can actually go across the screen in one small "slap" of the ball! This TrackBall is not like my grandmother's cheezy and puny trackball! This is the creme de la creme! I would not go thru all this trouble of writing about it here otherwise! Really!Marsden11, if you go to the linked site, you will notice that there is a Version of the Kensington TrackBall that is wireless and that weapon that I brought to this gun fight is a new laser weapon made to look like a knife! I smell singed flesh! :) 'Nuff said!

nlinecomputers

Fine so I'll have a sore index finger instead of a thumb. NO I'm not trying to flip you off I can't bend my finger! :) Again this is going to be(for me) too imprecise. I have to move off the ball to reach the buttons or risk moving the dang ball while trying to right click. Again either a lot of work just to move your mouse pointer or an over sensative ball that jiggles the pointer just when you need to click. No offense but why TRY to debate this? There is no right or wrong. What is hard for me to use may be easy for you to use and master. And vis a vis. I have tried such things before allways went back to the mouse. I have not tried your exact model but one close enough to see that it will work no better for me then any other.

If I were going to use a trackball, it would be one of the Logitech thumb-driven trackballs (see here). My friends use these, and I used to, but when it comes to playing video games (especially first person shooters), there's no comparison to a good optical mouse. I've got a 4-button Logitech Optical mouse, and wouldn't trade it for anything... It's large enough that it fits my hand well, and is so much more precise when it comes to locking in that sniper rifle on some unsuspecting player's head. :)

<<singed flesh>> Eh?My MS wireless mouse is from $30 to $60 bucks less in price than your wireless trackball!In my book that is more bang for the buck...Game over! :)

This should be more a discussion than debate...but here's some hardware to add to the confusion.  :)
Thanks Jeber! That Quill mouse looks really interesting. $99 is a bit expensive to experiment with though...

brucekrymow
If I were going to use a trackball, it would be one of the Logitech thumb-driven trackballs (see here).  My friends use these, and I used to...
Ryan ~A great trackball! I despise Logitech mice because of the lousy drivers, but their trackballs are superior. I am a big proponent of the precision of wired opticals, but am not a game player. There was another model that was absolutely incredible and D*** near vertical - perfectly ergonomic where radius does not cross the other forearm bone, but was discontinued for lack of sales.I would own the model you linked were it available for left-hand input users. ( I am right-handed but use lefty peripherals).Currently, I use:optithumb.jpgclickenlarge.gif

SonicDragon

I'm just a standard mouse kinda guy. I'll take the plain ones that come with my computer. Two buttons and a scroll wheel is all i need. On a side note, has anyone tried one of those vertical mice?!? Those look like fun!

nothing, NOTHING, beats the cordless optical 4-button logitech mouseman. as for trackballs? i was shocked to discover people still bought them! i thought they passed away in the Tandy-era. you say kensington mouse is not thumb-driven. what is it? palm driven? or index finger driven? how can any of those, rolling a ball with a hand, finger, or thumb, be more ergonomical than simply MOVING a mouse across a hard surface?and all those arguements that a 'mouse' hurts your hand or keyboard hurts your hand. phooey! repeating ANYTHING for long time will hurt. remember the days of pen & paper? if you write enough with a pen, your wrist/hand is just as sore. if trackballs really WERE more easy and accurate than using mice, we'd all be using trackballs by now. B)

SonicDragon
remember the days of pen & paper? if you write enough with a pen, your wrist/hand is just as sore.
Those days are still here for some of us B)

I have never been able to get the hang of a trackball. As others have said, it's that precision I miss. My current pointer of preference: Logitech optical mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel. It is tethered, i.e. has a cord. Since switching from a ball mouse I have not had any "skipping" problems.On my IBM portable I am quite taken with the pointing stick on the keyboard. It is not great for long use, my index finger gets numb. But it has spoiled me so that I cannot use those touchpad portables. Once again, it's all about precision.

...and all those arguements that a 'mouse' hurts your hand or keyboard hurts your hand.  phooey!  repeating ANYTHING for long time will hurt.  remember the days of pen & paper?  if you write enough with a pen, your wrist/hand is just as sore. 
Not a true statement. I use the Cirque touchpad all day at work and then at home. Sometimes 18/hrs per day. And my hand/wrist/forearm does not hurt with it. But I do get pain when I have been forced to use a regular mouse.

First off, let me say I have owned and used various trackballs over the years. I now use the Logitech Comfort wireless, optical mouse. Day one it reminded me of the old trackballs from years ago. It felt too big for my hand. I learned to rest my hand so the palm is further back of it instead of further up and it is quite comfortable. It has all the benefits of a trackball. In my conversions, I set up my computer to use the numeric keypad as a mouse. Now I can go without even touching the mouse. With that and keystrokes I can just forget the mouse! We had to first learn to use a mouse, now we can learn to leave it behind. Just thought I would muddy the waters a bit! :D

/me jumps into the frayI am the owner of a Logitech Trackman Marble. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything...previously I had their Trackman II trackball. Thumb-operated trackballs are more comfortable for me to use so that's what I've stuck with through the years. I don't have a problem using a mouse (my other two computers use regular optical mice), but for my main box I'll always use a trackball.I seem to get a lot of incredulous responses in games when I tell people I'm using a trackball. I went to a local LAN party a few weeks ago and I was the only guy there with a trackball...guys in my own Quake clan wonder how I do so well. ;) While you mouse people are furiously moving your mouse around (and making sure it doesn't go off the side of the mouse pad), I'm just sitting there calmly firing away in the game. Seems less physically intensive, don't you think? :DI just wonder if this thread will turn into a mouse-trackball war before long. ;)

I was chatised for starting this one!Even Jeber (the Village Idiot) recommended that this "should be more a discussion than debate" At least, I have (maybe) one person on my side!I usually like doing wars solo, but it don't hurt to have an ally!Thanx, Hawkfan! :lol: But we can't win this one! ;) All of my original statements (arguments :lol: ?) were really specifically about the KensingtonExpertMouse TrackBall with the 2" pool ball operated by middle fingers! But the whole thread got diluted as replies came in!Even to Hawkfan, all I have to say is that if you have not tried this SPECIFIC trackball, you have no clue what I am talking about! Oh dang, now even Hawkfan is gonna change camps and I am going to be doing a solo act again!I will continue my silence until "a true patriot" backs me up! :blink: