Memory Mgt from DOS

theHammer

In our autoexec and config.sys we use to be able to (really had to) stuff device drivers, utilities, etc above the 625 limit to be able to use as much of that first 625 for programs. When working with boot disks now this knowledge needs to be refreshed and I am finding relearning most difficult. So much info is out there for the 286 and 386 but much of this is no longer applicable. I use to have a way of dumping memory to see where the "stuff" was placed and could even rearrange the order of loading to maximize usage of small holes. LoadHigh appears to still work and do I need to use HiMem. Anybody recall how we use to dump a meaningful display of what was where and any reference to a refresher tutorial for the Pentium chips?Ed

I would assume the same techniques still apply. DOS is DOS and a Pentium 4 is still an x86 processor. The DOS debug program was used to do memory dumps as far as I remember. Remember the command: mem /p to see which TSR were loaded and how much memory they took up?Try your old DOS boot disks that were optimised for your 386 and see what happens. rolleyes:

Peachy - I think mem is what I was attempting to recall. Now I can play a bit and see whether or not I need Himem.Sys before I use a loadhigh, or whether DOS=HIGH, UMB still loads DOS at the top. So the chip is still a x86 but they kept making changes, for example somewhere along the line the EMM386.sys was no longer needed. Again many thanks for push. Ed