/dev/null boot up and modprobe problems

sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

While the computer is booting I see something to the effect of "could not open /dev/null" and when I open a konsole I see this at the top.

-bash: /dev/null: Permission deniedNice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice. -- Foghorn Leghornmatthew@giskard:~$
Not only worried about /dev/null but it seems my computer is insulting me. :happyroll: These are the permissions for /dev/null. If they are incorrect I'm unsure how they would have been changed. The only reference I can find for this deals with Slackware back in '05. It had something to do with udev. :thumbsup:
matthew@giskard:~$ ls -al /dev/null-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25 2007-03-22 19:47 /dev/null
Also found this in dmesg:
Partition check: hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hdb: hdb1 hdb2SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00libata version 1.20 loaded.kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
The only reference I can find to the latter is something concerning RH 7.3 and an answer saying to ignore it. Edited by sloppyslacker

Hi SlackerUdev is not used with 2.4 kernels so if you ( like me ) still use the 2.4 kernel with Slackware udev is no issue.Maybe try this:

# chmod -R 666 /dev/null

That will make the permissions the same as on my Slackware install.Also you might want to have a look at the ownership/group . . . mine is root:sys and yours is root:root . . . . so if you still have troubles try

# chown -R root:sys /dev/null

Imagine that changing to root:sys gives you even more problems change it back to root:root ;):thumbsup: Bruno

sloppyslacker

Hi Bruno,Yup, we had covered the udev thing before. All I can think is I must have messed up something during one of the updates. I haven't been tweaking at all. Too busy getting old rigs going for others.Will try your suggestions. :hysterical: Thank you.