Flip4Mac equivalent on Windows?

genegold

A friend with a Mac (OS 10.4) uses the Flip4Mac plugin off the Microsoft site to save streamed videos. Does anyone here know of an equivalent in the Windows XP world? Thanks.

I believe that Flip4Mac is the Mac replacement for Windows Media Player :D . You might just try double clicking the offending file in Windows and see if it plays. If so, it's been a while but I think you can save it in the player?

I believe that Flip4Mac is the Mac replacement for Windows Media Player :D . You might just try double clicking the offending file in Windows and see if it plays. If so, it's been a while but I think you can save it in the player?
System Requirements are Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx)

I meant that Windows Media Player in Windows does what Flip4Mac does in OSX. Flip4Mac is the OSX equivalent of WMP because Windows doesn't make an OSX version of WMP.

I meant that Windows Media Player in Windows does what Flip4Mac does in OSX. Flip4Mac is the OSX equivalent of WMP because Windows doesn't make an OSX version of WMP.
The "Flip4Mac" plug-in allows watching a streaming video and then simply clicking a button in the playback window to save the video as a file when it's done. I'm not aware that WMP does that. Btw, it says down below under Post Options that, "You are currently receiving email notification of replies." I haven't received either on this thread.

Windows Media Player will let you save file types that it supports directly, like WMV and (I believe), AVI and MPG. It can't save Flash movies, as zlim's linked article points out. I don't think it can save several other formats either. This is actually a fairly complex question.The newer versions also have some DRM in them that presumably prevents you from saving supported formats that have the DRM turned on by the file creator. So you might encounter some videos that don't save, while others do.-- Scot