What's the current version of OS X?

zlim

I bought a Dummies book for Mac OS X 10.2, jaguar. The price was right, $2.99 :thumbsup: I know it is now up to 10.5 or later. Is there much difference between 10.2 and the later versions? Since I haven't worked on any Apples since 1989, even info from 2002 will serve me better than anything I may have remembered from 18 years ago! ;) I figured I'd do my reading before I buy so I'm not totally clueless about what to do once I have the MacPro in front of me.

Edited by zlim

There are a lot's of changes under the hood, but that should not discourage you from reading the book.A lot of the stuff is still the same, so you can't go wrong.MacOSX is now up to 10.4.8 (Tiger) and there should be new release 10.5 (Leopard) in next couple of months.Principle is the same in the whole X series of Mac but every time they release major point upgrade, they add features and polish previous ones.

Thanks. In between trying to fix windows, I'll read about MacOSX.
That sounds like a good plan. Just compare it to your linux commands and uses and you won't have a problem with Mac. You just won't need to run very many commands if at all. The file structure is pretty much the same as far as where your files are located. It really is not hard at all. All your favorite open source programs are available. :thumbsup:

Next week, we are driving to a Philly suburb to the Apple store so I can get up close and personal with a MacBook Pro. I'll put off my purchase until the new Leopard comes out.I just don't want to buy a computer sight unseen. I want to try it out and ask questions. Once I use it, I'll be okay buying it by phone from that store.