A live chat room is needed too.........real time

imranj

Wouldnt it be cool to have a chat room ...........their..........so ppl can instanstly talk on things.........rather then wait and u would also get answers soon.......for small things.......... :D

SonicDragon

Absolutely Love The Idea!I think it has been suggested before and it didn't seem to fly with people :( I don't know why. An IRC channel is really aren't that hard to set up right?

phpMyChat is easy to integrate - I have it on my forum, but I just noticed the link is missing for it :( last update on the forum must of wiped out my link. It's simple to setup with php and mysql. I just added a link to it on the forum and presto.

Wouldnt it be cool to have a chat room ...........their..........so ppl can instanstly talk on things.........rather then wait
I don't think a chatroom is such a good idea. These forums serve (at least) two purposes: to supply an answer to questions and to read past questions and answers (in a few years these forums will become a huge knowledgebase). A chatroom is volatile, so only answers to questions, and only written by members who are "on-line" at that specific moment.Furthermore the "speed" of a chatroom, discussing technical matters (not common chat) makes it very difficult for me as a Dutch girl to participate (with my dictionary at hand :unsure: ). One last point: often I read a question, think about it, maybe ask a friend and write an answer. I think the answers in a chatroom will not be as balanced as in a forum.

Bingo! Snoepie was right on the ball with the way I feel about the issue... Granted, a chatroom might be fun for casual conversation, but when it comes to computer issues, having them posted on the board for everyone to read and respond is very important IMO... People would miss a lot if they weren't online during an important chat session... Also, due to the fact that we've got members from the US/Canada to Europe to Asia, it would be more difficult for everyone to get their input in on different topics. B) I do agree it would be nice for casual conversation as the message board format is quite slow and can be annoying sometimes. B)

SnoepieYou have a lot of valid points. There is a lot to be said for thinking through what you are posting. I know translating has to make it even harder. I don't know how you, Bruno, and our other friends with English as a second or third language do it! What I use instead of chatting is to set my mail program (I use evolution) to send and receive every minute. I can have 30 emails back and forth with an individual in an hour (I have done this with forum friends) and this keeps it private where it is not going to be read by those who would be looking for ways to spam you.

I agree with Snoepie tooA chat room would be nothing for me. The good thing about this forum is that you can read and learn from other peoples questions and answers. Read them over and over again. Give answers in your own tempo and even change the phrasing of it as often as needed to make it understandable for those who read it. I also like the going off-topic a bit now and then, it makes it light and fun to read, not always only serious to the point answers, but a mix of good advice and having a bit of fun when the issue is resolved.B) Bruno

Chat? Ugh!!! Nope. Snoepie has made most of my points. If people want to chat they can always use IM. There really isn't a need to build it into this forum. I like the ability to think through my posts, especially if I'm helping someone with a computer problem.

B) Most of you guys are sound asleep, snoring at about 4:00PM Australian time, so I'd only be talking to myself and the cat, but of course I do that anyway!

B) Most of you guys are sound asleep, snoring at about 4:00PM Australian time, so I'd only be talking to myself and the cat, but of course I do that anyway!
Nice one Joy !!Say hello to the cat will you ??B) Bruno

You might catch Jeber about that time. That is 2 in the morning for me and I can guarantee I am usually sound asleep at that time. It is always delightful to get up and to see what has happened while I slept. :(

It is fun too looking at when different folks are on line. You can almost predict some folks. Then you scratch your head and wonder just what they are doing on line at that time of the day, night, whatever. :(

:( Right now it's almost 7:00PM Tuesday, I've been rushing around forums trying to fix DOS problems, Compaq problems, old computer problems etc.I think I'll shut down for the night and go back to the programming books.They can fix their own problems or leave it untill the morning (my time).

Guest LilBambi

I agree with snoepie, Bruno, Peachy, Ryan, teacher, greengeek....Also, the forum has it's own brand of charm. And even though some things might be faster by chat, and a chat would be fun at times (at least for some folks), the forum gives the advantage of someone else being able to benefit at a later time from the experience, help, advice, etc.That would be pretty much lost in a chat situation. Plus with the forum, you have the ability to search out a problem, topic, etc. across forums. That that would not be possible in the same way with a realtime chat even if it is logged.And as several pointed out the language issue would be an unpleasant barrier to many of our folks in a fast paced chat environment.I agree with Peachy, "Aren't we pretty much chatting right now" :( Conversations can happen pretty quickly here if needed (even if a bit cumbersome at times, especially for those of us on slow dialup LOL!).

You are all mighty fine and wonderful and insightful people. :( My two cents on this:<shutdown /thought/of/chat -h now> :D

You are all mighty fine and wonderful and insightful people. :( My two cents on this:<shutdown /thought/of/chat -h now> :D
Ummm Quint...Don't know if you noticed...but linux has taken over your writing and communcation skills .. :( .But then again Should I be afraid that I understood :(

SonicDragon
I don't think a chatroom is such a good idea. These forums serve (at least) two purposes: to supply an answer to questions and to read past questions and answers (in a few years these forums will become a huge knowledgebase). A chatroom is volatile, so only answers to questions, and only written by members who are "on-line" at that specific moment.Furthermore the "speed" of a chatroom, discussing technical matters (not common chat) makes it very difficult for me as a Dutch girl to participate (with my dictionary at hand ). One last point: often I read a question, think about it, maybe ask a friend and write an answer. I think the answers in a chatroom will not be as balanced as in a forum.
Good points, and certainly understandable. I did not think about those issues. I guess a live chat isn't such a good idea after all :(But, we are always availible to IM or email or stuff like that ;)

SonicDragon
QUOTE (quint @ Jul 8 2003, 09:48 AM)You are all mighty fine and wonderful and insightful people. My two cents on this:<shutdown /thought/of/chat -h now>Ummm Quint...Don't know if you noticed...but linux has taken over your writing and communcation skills .. .But then again Should I be afraid that I understood
LOL!

And some companies have a policy prohibiting chat....Financial Institutions and those with producivity issues are two that come to mind.

I don't think a chatroom is such a good idea. These forums serve (at least) two purposes: to supply an answer to questions and to read past questions and answers (in a few years these forums will become a huge knowledgebase). A chatroom is volatile, so only answers to questions, and only written by members who are "on-line" at that specific moment.Furthermore the "speed" of a chatroom, discussing technical matters (not common chat) makes it very difficult for me as a Dutch girl to participate (with my dictionary at hand :) ). One last point: often I read a question, think about it, maybe ask a friend and write an answer. I think the answers in a chatroom will not be as balanced as in a forum.
I also agree with Snoepie. I think chat's have their place but doubt it would be worth it here.What is great about Message boards like this is that your questions and answers are posted and saved for record. So on your own leasurely rate you can read and post at will. Chat's seem to get all tangled up and if a simple question is asked on a busy chat it can easily be lost and forgotten.I'd vote no on the chat idea. I like the Message Board (Fourm) format much better.Chris

Just curious ... if some people want chat, and many others don't, would it be a bad idea to have chat just for the people who wanted it? It's something that I had always planned to add, just not a high priority (especially since I have to pay for the IPB version of it anyway).I don't have a strong feeling either way about this. I doubt I would use it very often either way. About the main way I could see using it is if we tried some sort of online event where someone came to "speak" here. I don't know if that went out with other stuff in 1997 or whatever. But I've done those things before and enjoyed them.Anyway, 'nuff said.-- ScotP.S. By the way, I completely agree with Snoepie that a major advantage of a place like this is that after a couple year's time it becomes a repository of very rich, useful information. That's a big part of why I started this forum.

SonicDragon

Chat certainly should not be something that costs money. If we were to do a chat, maybe an IRC channel or a web based javascript thing?Anyway, people seem to be against chat because the questions get lost and others can't read them and have time to respond etc. If we were to have a chat, maybe set up a rule where the chat is just for chat. All questions must be asked in the forum.You couldput a link to your post in the chat or ask that others help you with your post, or something like that.I'm just suggesting. I don't really have a strong preference either.