My last Slackware 11 install

sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

A few things went wrong on my second try at setting up Slackware 11 this last time, including the k3bsetup, so I'm doing it one more time.:thumbsup: So far I've gotten my mouse to scrolling, k3b a burnin', my default init level changed and a few annoyances taken care of in the way that KDE does things. So far, so good. A few questions. I have decided to give Konqueror a fair shake and have set up Kget as the download manager. As I type this post my display window for typing in text is only about 1 and 1/2 inches wide. I also cannot have smilies appear in my post by clicking on them (a notice in the lower, right corner notifies me that "This web page contains coding errors"). Anyone else notice this sort of behavior? On my to do list are: Nvidia driver install and configure. Get mplayer installed and playing DVD's. Setting up my backup hard drive in fstab. Other stuff that won't surface quite yet. Wish me good karma!Now that I've posted my first topic with Konqueror I notice that I don't get page breaks with a carriage return. Really annoying.

sloppyslacker

Okay, here's a request. Any way to add filters to the adblock function in Konqueror? I mean en'masse. I really don't want a free, online checkup for my Windows PC since I don't own one. :thumbsup: Well, got a few more things accomplished. Macromediaflash installed and xorg.conf edited for my preferred 1280x1024 resolution and some nicer colors and backrounds for my desktop...grooooooowwwwwllll. Have just noticed that none of the formatting options show up in the posting page. Konqueror is weird.

As I type this post my display window for typing in text is only about 1 and 1/2 inches wide. I also cannot have smilies appear in my post by clicking on them . Anyone else notice this sort of behavior?
Nope . . . . my display window for typing is just as big as it is in FF or Galeon . . . and the smilies are clickable . . . . . Maybe this is because of the screen-resolution you are using ?
(a notice in the lower, right corner notifies me that "This web page contains coding errors")
This however is familiar behavior, konqueror is keen on coding errors ( but still will display the page ) . . . it just says that the forum software makes code errors when coding the pages for the forum . . . B) . . . . if you go to a page that is "W3C validated"valid-html401.png you will see that the message is gone.:thumbup: Bruno

sloppyslacker
Nope . . . . my display window for typing is just as big as it is in FF or Galeon . . . and the smilies are clickable . . . . . Maybe this is because of the screen-resolution you are using ?
I don't think so. I'm back in FF and all is normal. :medic: Below is what it looks like in Konqueror.postreplyxs0.th.png
This however is familiar behavior, konqueror is keen on coding errors ( but still will display the page ) . . . it just says that the forum software makes code errors when coding the pages for the forum . . . :medic: . . . . if you go to a page that is "W3C validated"valid-html401.png you will see that the message is gone.
I only see the icon in the lower right corner when I attempt to load a smiley. :medic: Until I figure this out I'll stick with FF. Too many other things to cover for now. B)
I'd help, but don't know diddly about KDE. :hmm:
Considering my troubles in getting some things to work on the last install (self inflicted problems, I'm sure), I almost used your "raging bear" tactic. :thumbup:

sloppyslacker

Things are going quite well, so far.Nvidia drivers are installed and working well. Glxgears reports 1100+ fps.In fine tuning dvd playback in xine I ran xine-check which provided this out put.

[ hint ] /dev/dvd is /dev/dvd, not a DVD device		 /dev/dvd is the default device that xine uses for playing DVDs.		 You could make your life easier by creating a symlink named /dev/dvd		 pointing to your DVD device (something like /dev/scd0 or /dev/hdc).		 If your DVD-ROM device is /dev/hdb (slave ATAPI device on primary bus),		 rm /dev/dvd		 ln -s hdb /dev/dvd		 typed as root will give you the symlink.		 Alternatively, you can configure xine to use the real device directly,		 using the setup dialog within xine, but I can't check your DMA		 settings in that case...

I want to follow thier hint but am a little shakey on what to do. My workaround, for now, was to change /dev/dvd to /dev/cdrom in the xine preferences.

Hi SlackerGlad you are having fun . . . and that things are going well ! . . Seems to me you are learning fast !

My workaround, for now, was to change /dev/dvd to /dev/cdrom in the xine preferences.
If that works for you then please do it that way.The way they post it is neat . . . but you will probably have to change the /etc/fstab as well.:thumbup: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
Considering my troubles in getting some things to work on the last install (self inflicted problems, I'm sure), I almost used your "raging bear" tactic. :hmm:
HAHA! No! No! Don't do that! :hmm:

sloppyslacker
Hi SlackerGlad you are having fun . . . and that things are going well ! . . Seems to me you are learning fast ! If that works for you then please do it that way.The way they post it is neat . . . but you will probably have to change the /etc/fstab as well. :devil: Bruno
I will leave well enough alone. :hmm:
HAHA! No! No! Don't do that! :hmm:
I'm quite a bit smaller than you, so I might be better off with the raging wolverine approach. :pirate:

sloppyslacker
Oooh! Wolverine... a nasty little critter! wolverine_rbrogdon.gif
Actually saw one at the zoo, once. Very intimidating creature. Also quite mad. Probably driven that way by his rather limited space. Did nothing but pace, back and forth.Haven't been to a zoo since. :hmm: Poor guy.

sloppyslacker

Have noticed one problem with my install. Gxine will not load. When attempting to launch it via command line I get these results.

gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I find a reference to it here.http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386

xap/mozilla-1.7.12-i486-2.tgz: Linked libmozjs.so into /usr/lib since gxine needs to be able to find it.
I don't see where anyone is having a problem with this off of a fresh install and the only thing I have done with Mozilla, so far, is to install Flashplayer per Brunos instructions.Any ideas?

Have noticed one problem with my install. Gxine will not load. When attempting to launch it via command line I get these results.
gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

any ideas?

Hi Ss i am just thinking, have you ran?/sbin/ldconfig

sloppyslacker

Okay, xine launches fine. Thanks guys.Perhaps a more pertinent question. Why both xine and gxine installed on the system? Seems redundant, in a way. ;)

Perhaps a more pertinent question. Why both xine and gxine installed on the system? Seems redundant, in a way. ;)
Maybe to allow you to use gxine with the gxine-mozilla plugin so you can watch streamed videos from websites ?:o Bruno

sloppyslacker

Okie-dokie. ;) Didn't know there was one. I watch some videos on youtube but didn't seem to need a plugin for that. Guess I'm just not hip to all the stuff on the internet. :D Still seems redundant. Why not the xine-mozilla plugin? I know, dumb question. :o

Why not the xine-mozilla plugin?
LOL . . . just because there is none . . . ( Mozilla & Firefox are Gnome apps . . . . and Gxine is a gnome app ;) ):o Bruno

sloppyslacker
( Mozilla & Firefox are Gnome apps . . . . and Gxine is a gnome app :D ) :D Bruno
:o I REALLY need to get out more. I had no idea they were gnome apps. ;) Thanks Bruno!