DPCs again & NETGEAR WN121T

dalep

Hi, Hoping somebody can help as Packard Bell & Netgear support have been no help so far!!The problem is that about every minute my computers DCP process goes from 1% to about 15% and this causes any music that is playing to slow down and stutter for that second..This happens whether played from internet, CD or Hard DiskI have narrowed it down to this DCP process after about a week or so of internet research etc! but now dont know what to do nextI have a Netgear Next Rangemax router and this pc has a Wn121T USB Netgear next rangemax adaptor. I have tried the adaptor in another PC and get the same problem, so it appears to be NETGEAR's issue..When the adaptor is disabled, the spikes stop.I have tried another adaptor in the PC and it is fine..but I would only be getting 54mps not the 270 i bought the WN121 for...ANY IDEAS ????(I did notice another thread on this forum that appeared to have problems with this adaptor although the circumstances were slightly different..)Many ThanksDale

Yeh i was the one with same problem. Circumstances are different but problem is exactly the same. The only way i solved it was by going back to old adaptor lol! Also just using the netgear software reduced the chances of it happening but only a little. I also had the latest versions of the drivers/firmware. Definately a fault from Netgear part.

Hi, Hoping somebody can help as Packard Bell & Netgear support have been no help so far!!The problem is that about every minute my computers DCP process goes from 1% to about 15% and this causes any music that is playing to slow down and stutter for that second..This happens whether played from internet, CD or Hard DiskI have narrowed it down to this DCP process after about a week or so of internet research etc! but now dont know what to do nextI have a Netgear Next Rangemax router and this pc has a Wn121T USB Netgear next rangemax adaptor. I have tried the adaptor in another PC and get the same problem, so it appears to be NETGEAR's issue..When the adaptor is disabled, the spikes stop.I have tried another adaptor in the PC and it is fine..but I would only be getting 54mps not the 270 i bought the WN121 for...ANY IDEAS ????(I did notice another thread on this forum that appeared to have problems with this adaptor although the circumstances were slightly different..)Many ThanksDale
It would appear from the other replies that your only real solution would be to buy a different brand of router and nic. But as a kludge you could install both adaptors and only enable the netgear adaptor when transfering large files. There is a way to have icons on your desktop to quickly change from one adaptor to the other. Let me know if you want me to post how to do that.

thanks for your help..I had already downloaded the latest drivers..for both router and adaptor - no joy...Looks like i'll be back with the USR 8.11g for a while...Presumably Netgear will replace the adaptors or refund me ???Dale

I think I may have fixed it...I read somewhere about how WZC, wireless zero configuration can sometimes cause problems if you have a third party service controlling your netgear, so in killing the service I have tried my PC and - wahay...no spikes!! DOnt quite beleive it - and havent dare alter anything at the moment...currently only running at "g" speed on a "n" router and only have WEP not WPA...but as we speak it works..Hopefully this might help somebody else out there having the same problems!DP

fwiw, I was a former Netgear component owner of an FS508 hub. I liked it when it was new (circa '99) but from day 1 I thought it ran real hot. I could probably cook on it. After a conversation to their tech support they said that was normal. I could RMA it if I wanted but I chose the other option. I chose with my wallet and have been a happy Linksys owner ever since.I know you have a totally different piece of equipment but the theory is the same. If we all put up with sub standard support/parts/software then who is to blame?

I think I may have fixed it...I read somewhere about how WZC, wireless zero configuration can sometimes cause problems if you have a third party service controlling your netgear, so in killing the service I have tried my PC and - wahay...no spikes!! DOnt quite beleive it - and havent dare alter anything at the moment...currently only running at "g" speed on a "n" router and only have WEP not WPA...but as we speak it works..Hopefully this might help somebody else out there having the same problems!DP
So you disabled the WZC and it stopped the spikes? I had problems trying to connect to my router using the netgear software and so only way to connect was using Windows which caused the problems :)