Media to burn on

FuzzButt

Well I thought I would ask to forum what media they like to use in their CD or DVD burners. While we are at it where is a good place to buy it from. I have about had it with rebate's and other post sale way's to reduce the price. What I would like is a good sale price rather than something that is much reduced in price but not for 8 weeks after the sale when the check comes in the mail.I have been burned a few times by Imations rebates and since last year when they denied me a $7 rebate because I could not have 2 for the same offer even though Best Buy printed 2 forms. Anyway, What are your choices/favorites? Where from?ChrisP.S. Right now I am using the 25 Pack TDK 4x DVD+R at $1.80 each. The CDR's are complete blanks I bought at Office Max but I cannot remember the brand.

FuzzButt,I am sure that there are some excellent brands and speeds of CD-R's out there, far better than what I use, but will say this: I have burned over 200 data CD's, on Linux and Windows, and have had a total of two "coasters"! :) And, the media that I use has been either Staples' or Circuit City "cheapo's". Have had such good luck with them, I see no reason to pay a higher price for a "quality" CD-R/RW. JMO, am sure there will be other favorites that people will talk about...happy selecting and burning. ;)

actually, my view is differenti used to buy no-label blank CDRs, only to have their film layer peel, chip or break away and me losing the data on that CD. this was a lot more common on my music CDs for my car, as i sometimes dropped them on floor or left them on seat. i'm sure if you meticulously (is that even a word?) store your CDs and carefully handle them, your mileage may vary. but after one incident where a Divx recorded on a cheap no name CD actually disintegrate into a thousands pieces while it spun at 52x in my CD-ROM, i never touched no-names again.my current choice are the black surfaced MEMOREX for data (black and gold label) and for music, i like the e3 Works, the ones that are black on both sides and look like old vinyls with a narrow orange label in the middle as a label. i dunno, i just love them black CDRs. but if i get other CDRs, i make sure i get the blue ones or gold ones, but i never ever touch the light green coloured ones. btw, try this out to test your CDRs shatter-resistance capability. there is a huge difference between no-name and good brands. (note: this test will destroy your CDR , so best to use 'coasters' ;) ) - try bending the CD until it breaks. i've had some no-name brands shatter upon one inch of bending, while other good quality ones i actually managed to fold the CD in half touching edge to edge. mind-boggling :) p.s.- good topic, fuzzbutt.

my current choice are the black surfaced MEMOREX for data (black and gold label) and for music, i like the e3 Works, the ones that are black on both sides and look like old vinyls with a narrow orange label in the middle as a label.  i dunno, i just love them black CDRs.  but if i get other CDRs, i make sure i get the blue ones or gold ones, but i never ever touch the light green coloured ones.
I also use Memorex brand CD-R's. I've hardly had a problem with them and with the local "warehouse" stores always running sales on Memorex media, I don't spend a lot of money buying blank CD-R's. :) Where do you find the blue/gold colored discs? Usually all I see are the green ones...should I be looking closer at the places I usually shop? ;)

Kodak makes gold ones. I like the Kodaks. I haven't had problems with Imation or Maxell (silver). I stay away from the cheap bulk ones. You get what you pay.

I have probablyl used Memorix the most and never had a problem with them. I usually pick them up at Walmart or BestBuy when they have them on sale for little or nothing. I have never used a CD-RW disk, since I figure CD-Rs are cheap enough. ;)

I have never used a CD-RW disk, since I figure CD-Rs are cheap enough.  :rolleyes:
I just bought a small batch of CD-RW's. I use them for stuff like backups of data that tends to change frequently. Since I have a dedicated backup folder on one of my computers it takes no time at all to mark the folders that I want to make a copy of and proceed with the burn. I always have a fairly recent backup on disc should something happen to a hard drive. The CD usually has quite a bit of room left over since the data isn't very large, so I'm also not wasting a CD-R for a less than full disc.I'm also using them for the Knoppix Linux distro. Since they release new builds so often I opted to use a CD-RW instead of going through CD-R's.

Cheap CD-R's from Circuit City w/ rebates. I don't use them for music, so they don't bounce around in my van too often. Never had any problems other than a coaster here & there. ---------------------The ever-recording Sieb :rolleyes:

Guest genaldar

I usually gets whatever is on sale at officemax or office depot. They tend to be cheaper there than bestbuy. And most of the time there imation, tdk or verbatim so they aren't that crappy of a brand.

I exclusively use Verbatim CD-Rs because I've had the least amount of problems with them, in terms of coasters and whatnot. I usually go to Sam's Club and get a spindle of 100 for about $24.

This can be very tricky as CD-R's are made by many plants in different parts of the world. CDR Identifier may help to sort things out. The no name house brands can have different makers month to month, batch to batch.

I exclusively use Verbatim CD-Rs because I've had the least amount of problems with them, in terms of coasters and whatnot. I usually go to Sam's Club and get a spindle of 100 for about $24.
The Verbatim Data Life Plus are considered to be some of the best and are supposed to last one hundred years. These are made by Mitsubishi Chemical. Better CD-R's usually are darker, cheaper are lighter in dye color. Sam's currently sells Data Life, but not the Plus (they did at one time), these come from the same maker as Imation (CMC) who have also been used by Memorex (and others) at times. Sam's used to carry Verbatim's Value Line. The 50 pack spindle and the 100 pack spindle had different makers.I have found the lighter dyes (cheaper) discs have to kept cleaner to play in my old Pioneer CD payer.The original technology was invented by Taiyo Yuden.Another point of interest, the new high speed discs produce a lot more subltle errors (when recording music) than the old 8X - 16X offerings, irregardless of recording speed.