Block all but those in address book

lewmur

Is there a browser that allows you to block ALL mail except for mail from people in your address book? IOW, I want to specify those from whom I will accept mail for a given account.

Not a browser, but Hotmail has as one of its Junk E-Mail options "Exclusive - you will only receive e-mail from addresses appearing in your Contacts, service announcements from Hotmail, and messages you have consented to receive from MSN" I think Contacts may include not only people in your Address Book, but also people to whom you have sent mail. I think I may have seen similar options in other web-enabled email providers.

Not a browser, but Hotmail has as one of its Junk E-Mail options "Exclusive - you will only receive e-mail from addresses appearing in your Contacts, service announcements from Hotmail, and messages you have consented to receive from MSN" I think Contacts may include not only people in your Address Book, but also people to whom you have sent mail. I think I may have seen similar options in other web-enabled email providers.
Thanks, but I don't want another email address. I want to de-spam the one I've had for years and that all my family and friends know. I have several others that are only known by business associates but I've had my personal address so long that everyone in the world seems to have it. Edited by lewmur

In Thunderbird click on Tools on the menu bar at the top of the window, then click on Message Filters.If you have multiple e-mail accounts and you are not using the local folders for them you will have to set up a filter for each of the accounts.Select the account from the drop-down list and then select New from the options on the right.A box will pop-up for you to create/edit e-mail filters in, get it looking like this:whitelist.gifWhen you click OK the filter will be saved to the filter list. This will move any mail from an e-mail address NOT in your address book to the trash.

In Thunderbird click on Tools on the menu bar at the top of the window, then click on Message Filters.If you have multiple e-mail accounts and you are not using the local folders for them you will have to set up a filter for each of the accounts.Select the account from the drop-down list and then select New from the options on the right.A box will pop-up for you to create/edit e-mail filters in, get it looking like this:whitelist.gifWhen you click OK the filter will be saved to the filter list. This will move any mail from an e-mail address NOT in your address book to the trash.
Sorry but I can't see the image. When I try to goto the image it says the server can't be found.

Sorry but I can't see the image. When I try to goto the image it says the server can't be found.
OK, there are two rows of drop down boxes in the dialog set the first row to:From -> Isn't in my address ... -> Personal Address BookThe second row should be:Move Message to -> Trash on Local Foldersyou won't see the -> separators, each setting is in a drop down box.Once you have set all five of the drop-downs click the OK button.

OK, there are two rows of drop down boxes in the dialog set the first row to:From -> Isn't in my address ... -> Personal Address BookThe second row should be:Move Message to -> Trash on Local Foldersyou won't see the -> separators, each setting is in a drop down box.Once you have set all five of the drop-downs click the OK button.
Storms in the area have been causing problems with my broadband. I can now see the image and I did what was indicated. Waited a couple of hours and check my mail. Had twelve messages from sources not in my address book but NONE of them went to the Trash folder. All were still in my Inbox.

NONE of them went to the Trash folder. All were still in my Inbox.
Are you using Thunderbird for multiple e-mail accounts?Did you create the rule for each account?If you are using the local folders for all of your accounts you may still have to create the white list rule for each account.

Are you using Thunderbird for multiple e-mail accounts?Did you create the rule for each account?If you are using the local folders for all of your accounts you may still have to create the white list rule for each account.
It works now but I have another problem. When I imported the an address book that I had saved, it doesn't import to the Personal Address Book. Instead, it creates *another* address book. How do I merge the two. Or, if I can't, how do I get the Messaged Filter to check both for eligble addresses.

Guest LilBambi

Just select all or "control A" while in that imported address book to select them all and drag them to the Personal Address Book (verify they are copied there, should be) and then you can delete the entire imported addressbook.

Just select all or "control A" while in that imported address book to select them all and drag them to the Personal Address Book (verify they are copied there, should be) and then you can delete the entire imported addressbook.
Thanks, Fran. That did the trick.