PC Freeze

cfourkays

Homebuilt-Transcend TS-AKT4; 1.1MHz AMD Duron; 512Mb Ram; Radeon 7000 DA; 2 HDD's, 20G/XP Home and Program files, 10G Data;System freezes solid at random times. Needs reboot to start. Have had minimal Services, no Programs running, locks up. Changed memory, Display Adapter, NIC, CPU, no luck. All tests indicate no problem. DocMem OK; PC Pitstop, Outstanding; AIDA and SISSandra Benchmarks OK.The only thing I have left is a bad HD or Mobo, (I think.)Before I do this, anyone got any ideas?Pete :)

I'll give that a try. I've replaced every bit of hardware 'cept the Mobo and PS.Even formatted and reinstalled XP.I'll post back.Thanks, cheaper than the mobo.Pete

It could also be your CPU overheating... make sure the heatsink is free of dust...
i'll second this suggestion. happened to me twice at work. happens often in dust-filled environments. first time it was a defective CPU fan and second time the heat sink peeled off and wasnt connected to the CPU. both of those caused freezes every 5 to 10 minutes.