Linux Browsers

teacher

We have a whole different set of browsers from the rest of the world. To piggy back on GolfProRM's poll in the Application Forum, how do you surf in Linux? In alphabetical order:  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you dual boot, go to the Applications Forum Poll and vote there as well. There are so many different browsers for Linux and they each have their benefits, whether it is options, stability, or ease of use. Tell us what you use and why you like that particular browser!

:blink: Firebird again for me - totally love that browser -- even have gotten to the point of designing web pages so they full display correctly in Firebird instead of IE

:blink:  Firebird again for me - totally love that browser -- even have gotten to the point of designing web pages so they full display correctly in Firebird instead of IE
Kelly, you are hooked! I still have to teachweb design to view in Explorer/Netscape. They won't even let me put a different browser on at school, much less operating system. I have not experimented with different design software lately for web editing to see how well they integrate other browsers, but it is nice when you have options!

Yes I am hooked - started out a netscape fan way back in 1994 and turned over to IE as netscape got worse and now with Firebird it brings back the joy of being away from IE. Macromedia Dreamweaver and Homesite are my two favorite HTML editors.

Great idea, this poll...I use Firebird mainly, but have been using Galeon quite a bit, recently; it is impressive ! :blink:

I use all kind of browsers, depending on the distro I use . . In VectorLinux I use ¨Dillo¨ and ¨Links¨In Slackware I use Firebird/Phoenix ( the old version, smaller, leaner )In Debian I use KonquerorIn Mandrake I use my all time favorite: the unbeatable Galeon:blink: Bruno

Do I dare ask why a different browser for each distro? Is this so you can keep them all straight as to what you are doing at any given minute?

Do I dare ask why a different browser for each distro?  Is this so you can keep them all straight as to what you are doing at any given minute?
Yes it is sometimes the only clue to know in what distro I am . . . keeps me from goofing on the commandline . . some Slack commands line ¨mount¨ and ¨umount¨ don´t do any good to Mandrake . . . :blink: Bruno

I use mostly XFT-enabled versions of Mozilla. The default Mozilla for SuSE looks extremely nasty as the fonts are butchered, but XFT versions fix this. I also use Konqueror about 30% of time since it seems to load very quickly and does decent job of most sites.

I use mostly XFT-enabled versions of  Mozilla.  The default Mozilla for SuSE looks extremely nasty as the fonts are butchered, but XFT versions fix this.  I also use Konqueror about 30% of time since it seems to load very quickly and does decent job of most sites.
Mozilla/Firebird here. Prelude, I'm not sure why you're having font problems in Mozilla with SuSE. I installed Firebird in SuSE and it's using the True Type fonts.

Peachy: you probably had an XFT-built version of Firebird. something about if you load Mozilla that is pre-compiled with older version of Gcc, then the fonts anti-aliasing are screwed up.

I use Opera at work cos I just love it, but the fonts are a bit random when I use it in Linux (they're either really big or too small). I use Konqueror mainly becuase it's fast - Mozilla loads way too slowly for my liking (I do need a new, faster HDD though - that'll probably help!).---Edited cos I realised that there is a (fairly) easy way to organise your bookmarks by name in Moz/ Konq. I'm still not keen on the way they manage bookmarks though - much prefer the Opera way of doing this.