Microsoft to offer support for Suse Linux

arcturus

I'm not going to be working for a while come January, and I'm seriously thinking about trying some other distros in case I want to pull the plug on SuSE. My Linux Magazine came with a Mandriva 2007 DVD last month. Hmm.

I can imagine this ending badly for Novell/Suse . We need a wider range of Suse/RedHat/Ubuntu type companies to succeed and wider spread of those areas that MS monopolises at present. Personally I'm running Suse 10.1 ATM, on trial for several weeks since the remastered DVD was released. While the software update/install functions have certainly been fixed, it's still snail-pace compared to Debian's apt-get, and the OS overall just doesn't seem to have that "snap". I predict an Etch re-install is imminent.And by the way, Suse's GRUB detects and boots Windows Vista just fine! :thumbsup:

I can imagine this ending badly for Novell/Suse.
From the Linux desktop user perspective, maybe. But even if all Suse desktop users stopped using the distro, it won't matter. These users are not the customers Novell hopes to make money from. These customers are business people who own and run mixed data centers and want to benefit from the economy and efficiency of virtualization technology in their operations.

"I can not help to have that same feeling again. Is it time to "rm -rf /mnt/suse" ? "Hmmm. Same for this bunny, only she's still trying to figure things out, so...um, is this the cleanest way to do it, or can I just select the SuSE partition when I've got the Ubuntu installer underway?Sorry, but still muddling along! cheers, ruby
Thanks as always, Bruno :)Am giving it a go as we speak...I'm always convinced I'm going to make a mess of it. I'd used the "rm -rf" command to delete files before, so I was thinking it might work the same way :thumbsup: I've been using Gnome - I grew up on Macs, so I like the look of it. I hope this works. I want to completely dump SuSE - I don't understand all the twaddle about not suing each other - what rights has**oft ever had to Linux in the first place?

Microsoft already has 50+ % share of the server market. Now they want more by teaming up with Novell. Greedy, huh?
Yes, greed ---and survival. If the server market will inevitably and thoroughly be mixed and virtualized, Microsoft will lose whatever market leader position it currently has if it does not effectively adapt to the changes. Virtualization is not exactly one of Microsoft's strengths, which is why it bought Softricity, did a deal with Xen Source, and now hooked a Linux-side server vendor partner. With what it has, it is in a position to offer customers a product more attractive than others, keeping it in the thick of things, and laying the foundations for dominating the emerging market. When Microsoft gets big-time chipmakers to exclusive collaboration on virtualization technology, that should complete the picture.