SandBoxes

RandomBox

I have not seen much discussion on this topic as it appears to be a new breed of security compartmentalization of WinXP OS.I have been seen a few discussions in newsletters about SandBoxes as related to the security protection for WinXP and thought to drop a seed of thought to others.The following partial extract is from "Gizmo's Support Alert Newsletter" on the concept {and testing} of some SandBox programs:

This month I'll be looking at a another class of security product; sandboxes.The strange name "sandbox" derives from the Java world where it refers to the highly contained and restricted environment in which Java programs (applets) are allowed to run. They are allowed to "play in the sandbox" but not go outside it. The important point is that while running in the sandbox, the programs have no access to your PC.So it is with security sandboxes. While browsing within the environment provided by one of these program you are totally corralled off from your other parts of your PC. Any files you download are isolated to the sandbox. Similarly, any programs that are executed only do so within the sandbox and have no access to your normal files, the Windows operating system or indeed any other part of your PC.This means you have complete browsing security. Nothing you do while browsing can have any effect on your PC outside the sandbox.That's the promise. As we shall see the promise is not always fulfilled...
.. read the rest of the story at http://www.techsupportalert.com/security_virtualization.htm, as I will not spoil it for you nor do I want to violate SFNL Forum EULA. You may also wish to subscribe to the gizmo newsletter. {mumz da word}SandBoxie is pretty cool trick but so are portable FireFox and/or Tor/Privoxy/Vidalia/TorPark.. w/o the fuss and even on the go.