PC Tivo

FuzzButt

hello,Is there anyone here that does Tivo like duties with their PC? I do with an older ATI AiW 128Pro. The captures are good but I was thinking there is always room for improvement. I have considered a newer AiW card all the way up to the 9800 line but that one is $450. $400 for the AiW 9700. I have a friend that uses the AiW8500 but just for watching not capturing. What I would like to know is does anyone have opinions about the newer AiW cards or the Happauge cards. I could get a decent Geforce 4 board and a PVR card for the price of the AiW 9800. I also have seen the new Xp Media Center PC's use the seperate GPU and Capture card. I think it was Dell's that use the Hollywood cards.All suggestions welcomed.Chris

One of my friends uses an All-In-Wonder 9700pro on a P4 2Ghz machine. I've seen the picturequality and it's very good. It has an Mpeg2 en-/decoder on board. I asked him about TiVo-like functions (pause live TV f.i.): possible on this graphicsboard! BTW: according to my friend the AiW128Pro is an excellent board. If you're only interested in capturing video you don't have to change. But if you're also interested in playing games, the board is a bit outdated (32Mb and a low ramdac). For the future remember: try to avoid buying "all in one" products. On the long term it will cost you more because you have to replace "all" the moment only a "part" becomes outdated. My advise: buy a graphicscard and a seperate capture card.

I've got a GeForce4 Ti4200 with VIVO (video in/video out)... I've honestly never tried using the capture function, so I can't tell you how it works (yet). Might try it out in the next night or so and see how it works... The video out works quite well and I use it fairly often. I'll be sure to report back when I try the capture out to let you know how it works.

I would not recoomend the AIW cards for TIVO work, as they depend on software for the encodeing process. A WinTV PVR350 might be better for the task coupled with MyHTPC.MyHTPC is in Alpha stage yet, and is somewhat tricky to get running, but is very stable and customizable.My $.02 :)