Social Networking

teacher

Which is your preference of the three largest sites?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it curious to note that the Wall Street Journal has now done four or more articles in the last few weeks about how social networking is sliding. There have been a series of articles about Facebook and it's asking price. It seems to be dropping in value by the week due to reductions in the number of users.This time there was an article today which led of with a headline of My Space, Bye Space. I know there are a number of us that jumped on the Orkut bandwagon when it first came out and there was a Highlanders group. I had to struggle to even remember the name now since I have not visited it in eons. :DThere have also been articles (again in the Wall Street Journal) about folks that are trying to delete everything as they hunt for jobs. What is posted there has come back to haunt them as prospective employers check out applicants before hiring. I know that at my daughter's school most of her classes connect up through Facebook to schedule group meetings for class projects and it is still heavily used. What about the rest of the world? Do you still social network? Did you ever? There were not enough options to list them all but I thought it would be fun to see what others think.

Orkut was the last time I was on a social networking site, and I have not been there in almost 18 months.I've never been a fan of those sites anyway, especially with the proliferation of virii and malware on myspace.;)Adam

My daughter went from one week of not being able to figure MySpace out to a week later with 87 friends with her personal info all over it. I intervened and "cleaned" up her profile. She was pissed but got over it and has not been back to MySpace. Kids think it is cool to share personal info... parents don't!That place is heaven for predators... MySpace has pretty much no controls in place to prevent such from happening.As far as the Internet goes... "You too can meet millions of losers."

• 2 weeks later...

I am in MySpace, but I'm not very active there. I'm more into the Japanese social networking site called "Mixi." They have English communities so I don't have to worry too much about my rotten Japanese language. :P

Cluttermagnet

One word: "Lemmings".Three other words: "No", No!", and "NO!!" (to the surveys).Besides, it it were "yes", I'd be over there right now, giving up all my personal info. I'm way too geeky, unhip, and over the hill to do that. Young whippersnappers! ;) B) Why, in my day, we walked ten miles to school, uphill both ways, in a blinding snowstorm, etc. :w00t:We old codgers do network, actually. We just choose different forums (get it?) B)

I think there might be some other options beyond the 3 given for each question. I'm a big fan of technology but it remains a tool. If 21st century social networking means sitting at one end of the table texting the guy at the other end, mankind is not progressing!These days it seems you'd need to

walk ten miles to school, uphill both ways, in a blinding snowstorm
carrying your personal laptop while your ear froze to the mobile/cell phone that seems to live there permanently. Life is harder these days?

I think there might be some other options beyond the 3 given for each question. These days it seems you'd need to carrying your personal laptop while your ear froze to the mobile/cell phone that seems to live there permanently. Life is harder these days?
Sorry! I ran out of options with the forum software. People seem to be polarized on this one. It amazes me how much of a real tool facebook is at my daughter's school compared to how I hear myspace is used.
Where's the "this is ....." option in the polls?
Sorry, I don't make referernces to bodily functions in my posts....... :hmm: I think the last option in each section probably matches what I perceive as your opinion the best. ;)

Cluttermagnet
Sorry! I ran out of options with the forum software. People seem to be polarized on this one. It amazes me how much of a real tool facebook is at my daughter's school compared to how I hear myspace is used.
Indeed. Although it's perceived as a 'kid's thing' (young adults thing?), it can certainly be a very useful tool. Hey, networking is networking. Only difference is the shared values and interests that gives a place its ambience. Each has its own look and feel and a theme to identify with (or not). I wouldn't bother with it personally. I think the kids can benefit from it. So long as they are counseled well. Some seem to be more vulnerable, need to be 'protected from themselves'.

I hate to ask the following but...Aren't true geeks/nerds, by definition, socially dysfunctional to begin with? Maybe the answer to this rhetorical question becomes fully clear by the way the results of this Poll are tallying up. :hysterical:

I hate to ask the following but...Aren't true geeks/nerds, by definition, socially dysfunctional to begin with? Maybe the answer to this rhetorical question becomes fully clear by the way the results of this Poll are tallying up. :)
Dysfunctional socially? :) A true old time nerd/geek probably. The new generation of geeks and nerds - I don't think so. My daughter considers everyone at her art college a geek or nerd. :) Then again, if you go to an art college, what does that say? ------but I think you are probably right. :hysterical:
cleanup on aisle 5. I think daihard meant to post the above in this threadhttp://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=17095can someone move it and delete my post?
Aisle five? Is there a sale there? Did I miss it..... Oh you said a cleanup. :hysterical: :w00t: Yuck.... :o

hate to ask the following but...Aren't true geeks/nerds, by definition, socially dysfunctional to begin with?Maybe the answer to this rhetorical question becomes fully clear by the way the results of this Poll are tallying up.
You actually think the pimply noobs who participate in MySpace are technically literate? Actually, it's just the opposite ;)

You actually think the pimply noobs who participate in MySpace are technically literate? Actually, it's just the opposite ;)
Technically speaking, the definition of 'technical literacy' is a moving target that morphs and takes on a different meanings as we (as a society) forge ahead.You and I may be able to do things with computers that the newer generation(s) maybe cannot. You and I also may know the difference between transmission fluid and engine oil or the fact that the halogen headlights require no halogen fluid to operate. But we are (and, by all rights, should be) considered historic relics; as those whom you chose to call "pimpled noobs" can teach us things that we are incapable of comprehending or slow to assimilate. Here are a few examples:*how to transfer numbers between cell phones, or *how to download music from iTunes into iPods, or*etc., etc., etc.,They need not clutter their minds with such archaic concepts as spelling or grammar or even basic math.Since all of such "mundane" tasks have been relegated to machines; which allow these newer generations to have the option for cluttering their minds with more relevant and current information, .. but only if they choose to.They probably have the same amount of brain cells as we do, but they now have the luxury of being able to exercise these brains cells for higher order functions that we cannot!So please use care in the condescending attitude you seem to have against the newer generations.I have already come to terms with the fact that they ARE better than us but not as good as the generations to follow in the future!Advancement of a society allows this naturally and (as a collective) that is what advanced and civilized societies attempt to accomplish.Unless, of course, you are in the belief that "they don't make things like they used to" without giving due regard to "SHOULD THEY?" :D

They need not clutter their minds with such archaic concepts as spelling or grammar or even basic math.
I disagree there. They should indeed learn these simple tasks. It affects the way they communicate and interact with others. Everyone should have the ability to perform basic math in their head or at least know how to spell. ;)
I have already come to terms with the fact that they ARE better than us but not as good as the generations to follow in the future!
That should be qualified :o . They may be better at some things than older generations, but not everything. :D Example: I used to be really good at playing certain video games and my dad couldn't even work the controller. Score one for the younger generation. However, I couldn't milk a cow by hand very well and my dad could do that for ages without ever getting tired or sore. Score one for the older generation. Being able to kick butt at a video game wouldn't help me get the cows milked when the power went off and there was no generator for backup. :o Being a newer generation doesn't automatically mean they're any better than the one before. They're just possibly going to be better at some things or different things. :)

They need not clutter their minds with such archaic concepts as spelling or grammar or even basic math.
Almost fourty years ago, I read a SF short story where the hero figures out that 1+2 always works out to 3 and 3x5 always works out to 15! The idea is so revolutionary, the authorities don't believe it at first, but sure enough, no matter how many times they feed the same numbers into the computers, the answers always comes out the same. ... A whole new science is born, but the military comes in and classifies it top secret - 'if a human can do math, that means you can replace the expensive computer in guided missles with an expendable, human volunteer. We can win the arms race!'I don't recall who wrote the short story. William Ten???

Cluttermagnet
...'if a human can do math, that means you can replace the expensive computer in guided missles with an expendable, human volunteer. We can win the arms race!'
"OMG ITunes songs playing on Zune! Does not compute! Norman, coordinate..." :whistling:

Cluttermagnet
"OMG ITunes songs playing on Zune! Does not compute! Norman, coordinate..." :whistling:
"Oh the times, they are a chaaaaaaanging""When questioned who had sent for him, he answered with his thumbs,for his mouth it could not speak, but only flatter..."Bob Dylan :thumbsup: