xorgconfig "command not found"

sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

Still trying to configure my daughters computer.As root I typed xorgconfig and recieve the message from bash that the command cannot be found.

sloppyslacker

I managed to get xorgconfig to work by accessing root with su - as opposed to the plain su that I am used to. Can anyone tell me the difference?

sloppyslacker, hi thereThe command to open that file is this:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now you can only have a look at it (in the console) and nothing more.Suppose you want to be able to make an edit to it: you can' t as user because you might kill your system, so you have no permission to open it. Administrators however are supposed they know what they' re doing o:) , so basically you have to become Admin, that means gain root privileges:

$ su$ root password#

Now you can edit (let' s just take the same file for example) the xorg.conf file:

# kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

When you' re ready doing the edit, save the file and close the editor, in the above case we used "kate". Now you will be thrown back at the console so you have to bail out of that one:

...# exit$ exit

Above you see two times exit: the first command bails out as Admin, the second one bails out as user and closes the console.

When you type in su by itself it doesn't actually change the environment to the root user but leaves it in the context of the user who called it. su - loads the root user's environment, which would include the correct PATH environment variable.

Hi SlackerI am wondering what happened . . . was your xorg not configured during the install ?? Did you try "startx" after logging in ?o:) Bruno

sloppyslacker
When you type in su by itself it doesn't actually change the environment to the root user but leaves it in the context of the user who called it. su - loads the root user's environment, which would include the correct PATH environment variable.
Hi Peachy,Have run the xorgconfig command a zillion times. I don't ever remember having to type su - as opposed to su. In fact, I don't remember ever typing su -.Perhaps I'm getting old. :huh: at any rate, thank you for the explaination. o:)

There is a better/easier command in Slack 11.0 to configure X: "xorgsetup" ( but also here it needs "su -" or "su - root" ):blink: Bruno@ Rolana: you will know if when you are "su" you get a message that only root can run the command :whistling:

sloppyslacker
Hi SlackerI am wondering what happened . . . was your xorg not configured during the install ?? Did you try "startx" after logging in ?:whistling: Bruno
Hi Bruno,X was configured but wanted my monitor settings to be right on target for refresh rate and such.

never heard of these su -as stuff???when I need to go root I type su and enter my password and I become root.First thing I did upon installing slackware was install nano so I could edit files comfortably. xorg.conf file holds all the powers.I'll have to remember that xorgsetup command, that is also new to me. Everything I throw at Slackware 11 works flawlessly. I thought about moving to 2.6 kernel but really can't see the point when it's solid as is.