Screen sizing

bobarry

I can't seem to get the displayed screen size correct when displaying Mandrake control center, linuxconf, & Webmin. The display screen is bigger than the the monitor screen, and is not the specified size of 1024x768.I do all the setup procedures (video card, monitor, etc)It must be me - I screwed up all 3 of my Mandrake 9.1 computers.Help appreciated.Bo Barry

Hi Bo BarryThere is a very simple trick for screen-resolutions: Ctrl+Alt+ + or - + increases the resolution- decreases it !Hope this helps you . . . if you really messed up a re-install is needed, but you can save your /home partition.:unsure: Bruno

linuxdude32
I can't seem to get the displayed screen size correct when displaying Mandrake control center, linuxconf, & Webmin. The display screen is bigger than the the monitor screen, and is not the specified size of 1024x768.
You might want to check what monitor Mandrake is using. I had this same problem and the way I got around it was to tell it the monitor wasn't capable of higher than 1024x768. Bruno's suggestion should work fine, but it's an annoyance when you have to do that each time. :angry:Somewhere in the settings, probably in expert mode, or in the XF86Config-4 file is a place for "default resolution". That's also where you can go to fix it so it loads up in the "proper" resolution for you.

Guest LilBambi

One computer that we have has a the video card SiS built on the motherboard that is capable of higher resolutions (linux install ran correctly at 800x600), and this computer has a digital monitor capable of at least up to 1024x768, however...This configuration will give a desktop area of 800x600 but actual sizing at 640x480 ... therefore one gets the res of 800x600 but you have to scroll around to see the left of the screen where the clock is because the actual sizing is only showing you 640x480 of the screen.Does that make sense...hope I explained that well enough.How we ended up with this, is that we told it ONLY 800x600, but it 'felt' it could only do 640x480, so it compromised and gave us 800x600 res on 640x480.Anybody remember the old Diamond drivers that would allow you to do this in Windows ??I hated it then and I hate it in Linux too LOL!

Hi,sounds as if you have done the /etc/X11/XF86Config manually, for some reason...Check in this file for a line beginning with "Virtual", under the section(s) titled "Screen", as follows:

# The 16-color VGA serverSection "Screen" Driver      "vga16" Device      "Generic VGA" Monitor     "My Monitor" Subsection "Display"  Modes       "640x480" "800x600"  ViewPort    0 0  Virtual     800 600 EndSubsectionEndSection
This line, should read the same as your maximum/preferred resolution set, as is the case in the example above (800 600 = the maximum in the "Modes" line above it).If there is such a line, comment it out (by directly preceding the word "Virtual" with a hash (#) mark), and see the result - it'll most probably do the trick. DON'T FORGET TO cp XF86Config ~/XF86Config.OK (or something like that) FIRST!!!Don't forget, there might be more than one "Screen" sections in this file, with as many "Virtual" lines (needing to be commented-out as well).Cheers!

I used to have that ¨virtual¨-screen in VectorLinux, came as default with the install . . . . was fun to play with for a while, if you moved the cursor to the border of the screen it moved the focus . . . really weird. Did change that after a few days though because it used to make me dizzy. . :blink: :lol:. Forgot all about this phenomena.The XF86Config file ( and the XF86Config-4 ) was indeed the file to change Doryforos !B) Bruno

Hi guys,quint,yes! this is GNU/Linux - exploit your hardware to the extreme! Have as much screen real estate as you wish, even when it seems unwieldy; the capability is just there, even if it doesn't seem useful (as bruno's next post says) - it's just that the foundations for a great operating environment have been laid there, for the people, by the people. Still waiting for software, though... ;) (since RedHat 5.1, back in 1998). I have compiled a list (personal notes) of software that I'm really going to miss, should I made the Switch -- and these are not MS-Office, or any games... looking forward to what the next 5 years will bring about (the future looks very promising, alright!)...bruno,this file is sure enough one to have a look at, along with its documentation, when having questions about, or problems with X, but a whole bunch of other factors might be relevant as well (such as having the correct monitor type set)... let's see what bobarry has to say...