Installing Mandriva from 4CDs

Dense

Hi C_PThe pic is small, though I can see that you ticked the boxes for "updates" of nearly all items !! . . No good ! . . . You should only have 2 boxes ticked for the "Main updates" All the other sources only have the first ( enabled ) box ticked !!Please correct that and run "urpmi.update -a" after closing the MCC.Anyway . . . . waiting for more packages to hit the mirrors, here is my secret magic trick:1). I go to here: http://fr2.rpmfind.net/2). And let it search for the package: http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...stem=&arch=3). I look for the package ending on "mdv2007.0.i586.rpm" in the right colum . . . 4). I rightclick on it and say "copy url"5). I make the command

# urpmi <url>

:( BrunoPS: Using "urpmi" instead of "rpm -ihv" makes that it resolves dependencies using the urpmi database of the sources configured on your system.

Thank you VERY much and I am making corrections. It is pretty late there so get some rest bud! Again, not sure how many times I can thank what seems like my personal assistant.

Ok, I may be mistaken and Bruno will correct me if I am wrong but if you use a nvidia card and install Mandriva from the 4 CD's here are the steps I took to get things opperational and all in working order:*Also Bruno has an outstanding step by step here:http://brunolinux.com/09-Distro_Specific/M...07_Install.html1. Install 4 Mandriva CD's and at package screen selecting all the boxes on the left, KDE and Gnome on the right 2. Type "mcc" in a terminal . . .you get a window . . . click on "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system" . . . and have a look if you see "Contrib" ( with only 1 of the 2 boxes ticked ). If you do not see Contrib as one of the selections, there is an "Add" button on the right . . . press it and choose "distribution sources" . . . . then choose from the list "France" and the ftp mirror with the word "coffee" in the name. I chose the ftp one with coffee. After that you will have 3 additional sources. Make sure and only select 2 "Main" resources. You should only have 2 boxes ticked for the "Main updates" All the other sources only have the first ( enabled ) box ticked !!If more are selected please correct that and run "urpmi.update -a" after closing the MCC.3. Now go one step back in the mcc, close the sources manager and choose the button "Look at available updates and apply any fixes or upgrades to installed packages"It will look for updates . . . . on the left of the window there is a box you should change to "All Updates" . . . . then click on the individual sections in the left box and in the right box place checkmarks for the packages.Install all updates until you get "None" in the left part of the window.4. Add the PLF sources for nvidia:

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/non-free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )5. After entering those 2 commands and then the # urpmi dkms-nvidia you may get the following choices:[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# urpmi dkms-nvidiaOne of the following packages is needed:1- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)2- kernel-tmb-source-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install)3- kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install)4- kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install)5- kernel-tmb-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install)6- kernel-linus-source-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)7- kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)8- kernel-linus-source-stripped-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)What is your choice? (1-8)

# 7 That is the complete source for the kernel I am running. So if you have enough diskspace that is the one to choose.However if you have little diskspace you can choose #1 instead.
6. You can reconfigure X to use the new NVIDIA driver either automatically:1. Run XFdrake as root.2. Go to the Graphics Card list.3. Select your card (it is usually already autoselected).4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.*Note: If upon reboot you get problems: log in as "root" on the black screen and run XFdrake again.7. A few additional notes . . . . . 3 easy fixes for Mandriva 2007:1). Fix LinDVD error:CODE# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/# ldconfig2). KDE menu, errormessage when choosing "System" --> "Configuration" --> "Packaging" --> "Install, Remove and Update Software"The fix: Start up the menueditor and change the command in the relevant menu entry from "/usr/bin/drakconf --start-with=install-software" to "rpmdrake --root"3). Updatedb errorFix: Install mlocate ( will replace slocate )And subscribe to: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=16612 so you get notified when updates for Mandy 2007 are available ( and if there are problems with them wink.gif )Finally, Bruno's secret magic trick to getting applications not in package list:1). I go to here: http://fr2.rpmfind.net/2). And let it search for the package: http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...stem=&arch=3). I look for the package ending on "mdv2007.0.i586.rpm" in the right colum . . .4). I rightclick on it and say "copy url"5). I make the command
# urpmi <url>

Hi C_PJust 2 little remarks to make the info 100% correct:

Make sure and only select 2 "Main" resources. You should only have 2 boxes ticked for the "Main updates" All the other sources only have the first ( enabled ) box ticked !!
By default the boxes are ticked correctly . . . . you apparently ticked more boxes yourself, thinking that was the way to go, this was why we had to set it back to the default :'(
If more are selected please correct that and run "urpmi.update -a" after closing the MCC.
the urpmi.update -a needs only to be run if you make changes to the sources like we did . . . and/or if the sources are added more then one day ago, it refreshes the packages list that is stored on your computer and makes sure it is in sync with the one on the mirror.:) Bruno