Linux Email Applications

havnblast

Any recommendations on a Linux application for email -- with Red Hat I used Evolution from Ximian, but knoppix isn't supported for that program, which is a really nice program and I am not really hip on the netscape email client.

Kelly,I use Kmail in Debian. Don´t like Netscape either. you could install Thunderbird ( the mail cliant from Firebird )B) Bruno

I was wondering if Thunderbird worked with linux - I must of missed that on their site when I looked cause I went to the ftp download and it was just a .zip file for Win32 will look at Kmail too - thanks again

Any recommendations on a Linux application for email -- with Red Hat I used Evolution from Ximian, but knoppix isn't supported for that program, which is a really nice program and I am not really hip on the netscape email client.
It's not? Have you set up your sources.list file yet? In Debian Sid (unstable),apt-cache show evolutionsays that evolution 1.4 is available.Keep in mind that Knoppix is a mix of Debian testing and unstable (sarge and sid).Anyway, if you set up your sources.list ( /etc/apt/sources.list) and use apt-get or synaptic, you may find that a lot is available...HTH :)tranquilo

Thunderbirdhttp://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/Latest download that I see for linux.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nig...03-06-17-trunk/Additionally, if you are looking for an additional debian package, you can look here:package searchhttp://packages.debian.org/package info (dependencies/related packages)http://packages.debian.org/some_packagename_heremore package info (bug reports)http://packages.qa.debian.org/some_packagename_hereOr for unofficial debian packageshttp://www.apt-get.orgHTH :)tranquilo

I have experimented with Evolution, KMail, and Thunderbird in Linux. I am now using the Evolution because it appears to have better controls for some things. I had problems with KMail because it would let autoreceipts go to the outbox. I do not like replies going out without my permission. Our town sends out a newsletter every Friday and they have it set up for autoreceipt. I also got one garbage email with an auto reply. Bruno experimented for me and discovered that Evolution would not do that. I like that it can be set up with different send/receive rates. I have one address set for a very frequent receive rate and another set to every 450 minutes. Thunderbird set it up as two different accounts with different in and out boxes. That was nice. I was able to tweak it into one. I think you will just have to experiment. It takes very little time to set one up and then you can try it and see if you can figure out what has the most important features for you. Give the Thunderbird a try. I did run it for a couple of weeks before I decided I liked Evolution better.

It's not? Have you set up your sources.list file yet? In Debian Sid (unstable),apt-cache show evolutionsays that evolution 1.4 is available.
how do I setup sources.listI found the linux Thunderbird and downloaded it - dont care for it,,,,, Kmail dont seem bad,,, but nothing like evolution

how do I setup  sources.listI found the linux Thunderbird and downloaded it - dont care for it,,,,, Kmail dont seem bad,,, but nothing like evolution
You should have a sources.list file already... located here:/ect/apt/sources.listHowever, it's probably not configured with debian mirrors closest/fastest for you.apt-get introhttp://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/ap...-get-intro.htmlDebian mirrors.http://www.debian.org/mirrors/You should see some lines like this in your sources.list file:# comment lines begin with a #deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free# etc, etc, etc...to update the database...as root:apt-get updateif any mirrors could not be reached (for whatever reason) feel free to comment out those lines in your sources.list file, and run 'apt-get udate' again.to install a package...apt-get -s install evolution(this will list all the additional files that must be downloaded, but won't do anything yet)apt-get install evolution(this will install evolutionThere is also synaptic, a front-end to apt-get.apt-get install synapticIf you don't like it...apt-get remove synapticAlso, to see what you have installed now:as a userdpkg --listdpkg --list > some_file.txtdpkg --list | lessHTH :)tranquilo

linuxdude32
I had problems with KMail because it would let autoreceipts go to the outbox.  I do not like replies going out without my permission.  Our town sends out a newsletter every Friday and they have it set up for autoreceipt.
I really like Kmail. I've been using it for over a couple of years now and find it had a great mix of features but is still user-friendly without being a resource hog. I have a slower computer so I find some of the apps like Mozilla and Evolution load too slowly. I also like how Kmail handles quoting. Before replying to an email, just select only the text you want to quote and when you click reply only it will appear in the quote. Very handy.As for the problem you're having with automatic receipts being send out in Kmail, you can turn this off in Kmail's settings (at least you can in all the recent versions I've used). For browser, I just use Konqueror. I can't wait until Konqueror supports username/password saving like Mozilla does, though.

Hvnblast,I use them all, to see which one is best for me. :D I use one on each of my distros, and as I write this, they are running "neck 'n neck". Thunderbird is "alpha", I think, so that worries me a little; KMail seems to be the faster of the three, but I think if had to choose just one, I'd pick Evolution. ;) I don't exactly have any "technically-correct" reasons, other than it just feels the most like my idea of a mail program. :lol: HTH.

Evolutions is nice program that is for sure I enjoy the scheduling and having a personlized outlook area of events. I have used MS Outlook in windows and was the only one I ever used. I don't like having just a simple email program when there are programs like that around. I have not gotten evolution for Debian yet but I do plan on it. Kmail would probably be the one I would use if I could not get Evolution. Thunderbird I don't care for at all, reminds me too much of netscape mail program, which I don't care for either.Maybe we need to start a topic on favorite overall programs for linux. What's everyone favorite mp3 player, graphic editor, etc.... Might learn about some great new programs.

hvnblast quote:

Maybe we need to start a topic on favorite overall programs for linux. What's everyone favorite mp3 player, graphic editor, etc.... Might learn about some great new programs.
That is a wonderful idea. :D To use an "over-used" saying: "go for it". ;) Will be thinking about my choices. :lol:

I like Kmail too. It acts like Outlook Express but seems to be quicker. Tried Ximian that's bundled with the Gnome desktop by Mandrake and found it slow and it crashed several times.

HenderrobStrange that your evolution crashes . . . never had that . . did you get all the updates through the MCC ??B) Bruno

B) Evolution crashes??? Wow I never had that happen. I don't run Gnome tho either I am a KDE Desktop fan myself - never cared for gnome.

Tranquillo,I just installed Evolution in Debian following your instructions . . . . . easy as pie ! Thanks a million ! Tomorrow I will see after Galeon.

apt-get updateif any mirrors could not be reached (for whatever reason) feel free to comment out those lines inyour sources.list file, and run 'apt-get udate' again.to install a package...apt-get -s install evolution(this will list all the additional files that must be downloaded, but won't do anything yet)apt-get install evolution(this will install evolution)
:) Bruno

Bruno,That's good to hear! :)If you didn't already know, you can redirect the 'dry run' output to a file, especially useful if what you install has many dependencies to install (I may have mentioned this already).apt-get -s install package > somefile.txtAdditionally, apt is available for rpm users... google should turn up the link ;)HTHtranquilo

Thanks tranquilloapt-get -s install evolution >evolution.txt was something I have done after I saw what ¨apt-get -s install package¨ produced, always like to be able to check later if something would go wrong . . . . . . :unsure: One can´t be carefull enough.Appreciate your tips !:wacko: Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reminded of a joke I heard during a recent Linux install-fest:"Evolution will never truly replace Outlook, unless it too auto-executes all of the latest viruses by default."Today so far I've received 14 viruses in my inbox (including a copy of Snow White - how long has -that- been in the wild? 4 years??). A typical day.All of these viruses are just a load of harmless gibberish attachments, as far as my kMail is concerned. Ditto for Evolution, Mozilla Mail, Pine etc. Even among my Windows customers I get almost no calls to remove viruses from Eudora, Pegasus, Netscape Mail or Novell Groupwise users.Some of the stuff that's been virally-mailed to me has been, well..., "interesting". Companies' Quickbooks and MYOB data files. University assignments. MP3s. Lawyers casenotes. Spreadsheets. All sorts of documents. Lots of p**n...Late last year I even received - courtesy of a virus - a 100+ page Word document detailing some highly confidential negotiations between two multinational banks. I told them they had a problem. One of their senior executives actually came halfway around the world to my home office, accompanied by some of my local police, to verify for himself that I -hadn't- stolen it!So whatever the individual merits of the various Linux email clients; it has to be agreed that, at this moment in history, they're -all- safer to use than any Microsoft equivalent ;-)cheers, Fraser

SonicDragon
Today so far I've received 14 viruses in my inbox (including a copy of Snow White - how long has -that- been in the wild? 4 years??). A typical day.
Yikes!

sublime78ska

I've been using Opera 7.11 for e-mail. It is completely new with v7. Took a while to get used to it but I've come to really like it. I really like how it organizes the mail, though, and the windows and linux versions are kept in sync. Also, if you have a dual-boot situation you can use the same mail files for both environments. phil