windows firewall

marcos9999

Same here. I only run Windows firewall on my laptop. I just keep a tight lid on the programs that are installed, and keep all AV and spyware defs up to date.

My opinion FWIW.If you have multiple people using one machine and some of those people are able/likely to install dubious software, you probably want a firewall that does outbound packet inspection - eg. ZoneAlarm, Kerio ... (Windows firewall does not do out bound packet inspection.)If you're the only one using the machine and the machine is otherwise secure, Windows XP's firewall is good enough.HTH. Bob

Can we trust windows XP bundled firewall? Should I buy zonealarm?What do you think?
nonoThere are excellent freeware alternatives, Sunbelt Kerio for example.

Same here. I only run Windows firewall on my laptop. I just keep a tight lid on the programs that are installed, and keep all AV and spyware defs up to date.
Same here.Otherwise just wait until Scot is done testing a handful of firewalls. He will report which one he recommends.

Monitoring outbound traffic is essential. If you're using XP's firewall and you get infected with something new that your antivirus or other real time protection programs cannot yet detect, how will you will be able to stop it from phoning home?? You won't be able to. A firewall that monitors outbound traffic will alert you that something "new" is trying to make a connection and allow you to block it. Also, since you know something's wrong you'll be able to start looking for it. Without that firewall notification you could be infected for ages before you notice something's wrong. If you're only using XP's firewall you're not fully secured.Zone Alarm, Kerio, Outpost, Jetico, Komodo, they all monitor outgoing traffic and they're all free.

Edited by daveydoom

• 2 months later...

This thread started out by asking which was preferable, Zone Alarm or XP's built-in firewall. So perhaps it's worth saying, even at this late date, that both apparently can be run at the same time. And the more the merrier, say I, in regard to protective programs. In general, I don't think it would be a good idea to run two firewalls unless one knew in advance that they didn't conflict. However some people (myself included) run these two simultaneously with no problems. Here is what the Readme for Zone Labs security software (as of May 26, 2006) says:"Known issues / Third-party Software"Built in XP firewall prevents FTP - The built-in XP firewall can interfere with Zone Labs Security software handling of active FTP traffic. This may result in incoming FTP traffic being blocked by Zone Labs Security software. To solve this problem, either use passive FTP, or turn off the XP firewall. [8456]"So it would aappear that using them both is all right except for FTP, and even that works if you select Passive FTP in Internet Options. Here is a thread where a couple of people other than me mention happily using both: http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=18307&hl=

Every Firewall Software company out there recommends NOT to use both. Your source is a member of another forum. Not all that reliable.
I was also surprised that the two could be run together. My original opinion was the same as yours. However, not "Every Firewall Software company out there recommends NOT to use both." Zone Alarm obviously doesn't. And my other main source is my own experience.

You may use all that you want. I will use what the experts say--ONE.Firewall : FAQUsing two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Two Firewalls Too Much of a Good Thing - WinPlanet Windows ...Get the basics on firewallsI have not used Zone alarm since about 1996 as it is a resource hog. In a home environment there is not a need to use two.

I was also surprised that the two could be run together. My original opinion was the same as yours. However, not "Every Firewall Software company out there recommends NOT to use both." Zone Alarm obviously doesn't. And my other main source is my own experience.
Being able to and being effective or worthwhile are not synonymous. I run Windows firewall on my notebook and ZoneAlarm firewall on my desktop. I spend many hours each day on the 'net and I've never had a problem so far. I encounter few popup ads, and those that do quickly get added to my host file, and little SPAM and when I do I forward it to spamcop. That's my experience. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Yes, GENERALLY you can run both. I would not recommend it though. I actually came across a problem about a year ago that took me some time to track down on a client computer and it turned out to be that both ZA and Windows Firewall were on. As soon as I turned off the Windows Firewall, all happy.Wish I could remember what it was they were trying to do but I can't remember. Might have been an IMAP server webmail, they were trying to attach to but I really can't remember for sure.I also agree with davydoom and others here. Outbound traffic notification IS ESSENTIAL especially if there are kids using the computer or multiple users especially in Windows.

Please don't attempt to take the next statement visually:I streak naked thru the internet >> :D But please take the next statement literally:I don't use a software firewall of any kind >> :) --------------------------Shouldn't this topic be transferred to the Security & Networking section?

Edited by RandomBox

I also agree with davydoom and others here. Outbound traffic notification IS ESSENTIAL especially if there are kids using the computer or multiple users especially in Windows.
The firewall built into Vista does this.

RandomBox, your statement can have disasterous effects on anyone, not real computer-savy, who reads your post and decides (s)he doesn't need a firewall. I ask you to please add a note that this statement would apply only to those people who consider themselves pretty knowledgable about computers and are able to clean up most of the problems that might be encountered.I've had to clean up too many computers of senior citizens who've gotten nasty stuff on the computer. Note, most of these are women who do not go to questionable sites (and all of these users were using dialup for their access). Their only problem, they didn't know anything about computer security. My cleanup sessions have lessened only because I installed a firewall (an old version of ZA that isn't hoggy), an anti-virus, and spywareblaster. I also gave them a notecard with a listing of about how often they need to check for updates on the av and spywareblaster.

You are 100% correct, zlim!As you correctly stated, I may not use a software firewall in my system but I am more conscientious about security and spend much effort to keep my system(s) from being a target of any sort of malicious attempt! You may wish to visually think of me as that nekkid Terminator with an arsenal of armament equal to none! He may have forged thru the badlands, but I tiptoe thru hostile networks!I use a Hardware Firewall, I use multiple anti-spyware, I use multiple anti-virus, I use multiple anti-germfare, I use real-time protection,I also use scanners/scourers to rid of malware continuously,I periodically test my system for weaknesses,I monitor all my network activity, I pay much attention to network security at all times, I keep all my software up-to-date,I keep my Operating System fully updated, archived and backed up,I institute log-in control even at BIOS level,I don't leave my important, personal and/or private data accessible or even unencrypted,I diligently make my system redundant enough to prevent from even hardware crashes, But most importantly I keep current of all possible threats and circumvention techniques!Unless one has the patience and perseverance and knowledge, then one should NEVER attempt to streak without taking into account the ramifications. Example

Being able to and being effective or worthwhile are not synonymous.
Yes, GENERALLY you can run both. I would not recommend it though. I actually came across a problem about a year ago ... and it turned out to be that both ZA and Windows Firewall were on. As soon as I turned off the Windows Firewall, all happy.
Thanks for the useful cautions and food for thought about running both these firewalls at the same time. While fiddling with this, it seemed as if the XP firewall would sometimes turn itself on upon rebooting (from being off pre-boot). I haven't checked this thoroughly, but if it's true some people may be running the XP firewall without knowing it.