Damn Small Linux 0.3.11

Bruno

D*** Small Linux is a business-card size (50MB) Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop.Annouced at: FreshmeatHomepage: Here ( overloaded at this moment )ISO: HereHave fun !:lol: Bruno

D*** Small Linux is a business-card size (50MB) Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop.Annouced at: FreshmeatHomepage: Here ( overloaded at this moment )ISO: HereHave fun !;) Bruno
Sounds very interesting...will have to try it, thanks, Bruno. :lol:

Quit,I knew this was like the sweetest honey to you . . . . . real distro-bears can´t resist ! :lol: ;) ;) :D Bruno

Quit,I knew this was like the sweetest honey to you . . . . . real distro-bears can´t resist !  :lol:  :D  ;) B) Bruno
Honey.jpgI like it! ;)

I read that on freshmeat as well. I wasn't going to tell him. :( I would not want him to overdose on Linux distros.

I read that on freshmeat as well.  I wasn't going to tell him.  :(  I would not want him to overdose on Linux distros.
Too late, Julia. :( FSLO-1056603291-667756.jpg :D

I take it that it must be command line only - no X-Windows. Probably a good OS to have for troubleshooting systems unless you add the packages you want to it - make it your own custom Linux OS.

Funny you should mention a distro this size! Because I just downloaded a similar distro, with the same size, from LNX-BBC.org. But they went a different route to get the package together. It also has a built-in web browser, and email, along with Lynx for text freaks. If you want to make conparisons, go ahead and check it out! DHCP works pretty well, and X-Windows uses a simple manager. :lol:

I take it that it must be command line only - no X-Windows.  Probably a good OS to have for troubleshooting systems unless you add the packages you want to it - make it your own custom Linux OS.
D*** Small Linux includes xwindows + fluxbox...HTHtranquilo

Guest LilBambi

That's great ... now two more tiny linux distros ... especially since I don't think they have updated Peanut Linux for some time. Don't even know if it's still out there.

Fran,Last Peanut is from March 1 2003:

Peanut Linux 9.5 has been released. From its lsm file: "Linux operating system, ships 99.9% software-configured. What comes in just 340MB? Kernel 2.4.20, GUI consists of X-Windows 4.2.99.4, Enlightenment WM environment 16.5. KDE3 Desktop Environment, KOffice, KGames, KMultimedia, K-This and K-That :) Web Browsing Made Easy - Mozilla Communicator v1.3b..." The ISO image can be downloaded here: small.iso (339MB). This is a basic ISO image which does not contain all of the applications in the Peanut directory tree; some of them (e.g. KDE) have to be downloaded separately as RPM packages. A complete 650MB ISO image can be ordered for US$29.99. Visit the Peanut Linux web site for more information and some nice new screenshots.
Kernel 2.4.20 is the last stable one. So this all looks still very up to scratch. :):lol: Bruno

KellyFluxbox is indeed a desktop/windowmanager a very minimalistic but nicely designed one though. For some people it is the only one . . like there are hardcore fans of every kind of windowmanager. Have a look Here:blink: Bruno

KellyIt does, but is very basic though . . . but if that is what you like . . people use it a lot on Slackware.B) Bruno

Guest LilBambi
Fran,Last Peanut is from March 1 2003:
Peanut Linux 9.5 has been released. From its lsm file: "Linux operating system, ships 99.9% software-configured. What comes in just 340MB? Kernel 2.4.20, GUI consists of X-Windows 4.2.99.4, Enlightenment WM environment 16.5. KDE3 Desktop Environment, KOffice, KGames, KMultimedia, K-This and K-That B) Web Browsing Made Easy - Mozilla Communicator v1.3b..." The ISO image can be downloaded here: small.iso (339MB). This is a basic ISO image which does not contain all of the applications in the Peanut directory tree; some of them (e.g. KDE) have to be downloaded separately as RPM packages. A complete 650MB ISO image can be ordered for US$29.99. Visit the Peanut Linux web site for more information and some nice new screenshots.
Kernel 2.4.20 is the last stable one. So this all looks still very up to scratch. ;):D Bruno
Thanks Bruno ... didn't realize they were keeping it up to date! That's great.BTW: We got the D*** Small Linux 0.3.11 and it is great and a fast little system even in X.Thanks for the links.

Fran,I'm glad we could find you a little 50 MB distro that is small enough to download on dial-up. We're all having so much fun out here trying new stuff, you must have felt a bit left out . . :lol: :DKeeping our eyes open for small downloads Fran, and will let you know if something new pops-up !:D Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Bruno and Quint Thanks! :lol: I am sure other dialup users will also enjoy these links as well!Really nice to have so many great links to tiny and small Linux distros in this thread.

SonicDragon

D*** Small Linux works even on my old box! Flawlessly! AND QUICKLY! Well i think i've found my new direction for that box... small distros! YAY! I'm so excited! Something that works on that box! The only thing that's wrong is that there is no color.... o well, i can live with that. I think i'm going to try Vector and Peanut Linux next :unsure: Those sound like they are the popular ones. PS, i still haven't tried Knoppix or Slack Live yet, but i'll get their. I'm betting Knoppix will work because D*** Small is based on Knoppix.

That´s a relief Sonic, finaly something that works for you !!If you try VectorLinux, do the small version, NOT the SoHo ! The small one is for old computers too ! Also you might try ¨Dynebolic¨ just released Live CD, 362MB, just posted about it Here:unsure: Bruno

SonicDragon

All right, i'm downloading vector... not the soho version....i think. I'm also downloading Dynebolic. It's only in the alpha version right now... and it seems to focus a lot on multimedia, which i don't really need, but, it's worth a try.I remember hearing about it on the Linux Show :)Thanks for the link Bruno!

Slackware used to offer Zipslack, a Linux distro about 40MB in size that ran from a bootable Zip disk. I downloaded it a few years back but never got around to trying it out because I didn't have an internal ATA Zip drive to boot from. Unfortunately you can't boot from a parallel port Zip drive. However, I just discovered about three machines in our hardware lab that has bootable Zip drives. Me wonders if it's worth look again.... :rolleyes:

ZipSlack is still offered... and it can run from any fat partition, not just a zip drive. From the slackware site...http://www.slackware.com/zipslack/

ZipSlack is a special edition of Slackware Linux that can be installed onto any FAT (or FAT32) filesystem with about 100 MB of free space. It uses the UMSDOS filesystem and contains most of the programs you will need. This means that you do not need to repartition your hard disk if you already have DOS or Windows installed. ZipSlack installs into a directory on your DOS filesystem. It can also be installed to and booted from a Zip disk.
HTH :)tranquilo