Can I clone an entire machine?

Webb

I'm thinking of getting a new comp.Can I clone my WinXP/SP2 ATI image (from an external USB drive with an ATI/Bart CD - I don't see a problem there) to the new one and avoid having to reinstall everything?I've heard that I can expect Windows activation issues so let's skip over that.Will the clone reconfigure itself and install appropriate drivers and things for the new hardware?

James M. Fisher
I'm thinking of getting a new comp.Can I clone my WinXP/SP2 ATI image (from an external USB drive with an ATI/Bart CD - I don't see a problem there) to the new one and avoid having to reinstall everything?Will the clone reconfigure itself and install appropriate drivers and things for the new hardware?
Which version of Acronis TI is this, Jim?Acronis has a separate add-on type feature for TI 9.1 called Universal Restore that enables an image to be restore to different hardware:http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products...al-restore.html

James M. Fisher
I have 8.0. That looks like a great feature but I don't think I can justify the cost of an upgrade plus the universal restore license.
You can try the restore to different hardware, but I would not expect it to go smoothly, even running Windows after the restore. There are too many variables such as mobo chipsets, different RAM, etc.

I have also been advised to uninstall as many drivers as possible before making a final image. If it doesn't work I can reinstall Windows.I was just hoping to save several hours installing applications and system tweaks.

Try cloning your old disk (disk-to-disk) to the disk on the new computer first. It just might work. Last week I tested a P3/MSI Via694x/Sdram disk on a P4/Abit VT7/DDR and XP booted fine.

James M. Fisher
I just Googled it - very interesting.I'm sure glad I didn't rush into this!
If you go the Sysprep route, let us know how it worked for you.

It was an interesting experiment but it didn't work.I booted into safe mode and deleted every driver possible, ran sysprep and made a HD image. To be fair sysprep has a lot of options and I may have picked an incorrect one.When I turned on the new machine there was nothing but a BSOD. I couldn't even boot it into safe mode.All is not so bad, though. Windows did a repair install and all the data is intact. But I had to do a complete repair install - XP and SP2 - and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reinstall all of the Windows updates since SP2. They are on the HD in their backup locations but I doubt they are installed.