Apple VS Microsoft

bob3160

Chris Pirillo has an interesting article on this subject.Since a lot of experts feel that Vista isn't really all it could have beenin light of the length of time it's taken Microsoft to put it together.A great alternative would be the ability to dual boot between OSX and Vista.

Vista - it’s still the same ol’ Windows with a new look to it. They could have sandboxed all legacy code into virtual machines much like Apple did with their legacy applications. It was painful for a while, but so was the transition between 16-bit and 32-bit code if you remember! Oh, and Vista’s not faring well with the 64-bit stuff according to reports - so even this Windows situation is going to get worse before it comes close to getting better.
Since OSX now operates on an Intel chip, this is a great Idea and would do wonders to makeApple a major contender in the OS market.Apple is also about ready to release their next upgrade called LeopardI would much rather spend money for adding Dual Boot capability to OSX or Leopard than spend itto upgrade to a still developing and unfinished Vista.Chris's full article can be found at:http://channels.lockergnome.com:80/windows..._vs_apple.phtmlWhat are your thoughts on this opportunity to push for an Apple - Microsoft Computer ?

About as much chance as monkeys flying out of my ***Dyed in the wool Machinists generally hate Windows. They have always claimed it was easier to use than Windows. The same could be said for Windows users who dislike the Mac. What is with that stupid one button mouse? (Ever use the original iMac hockey puck mouse? Stupidest mouse ever created!)With that said, what self respecting Mac user would sully his machine with Vista? Loading it would be admiting that Vista could possibly be better than OS X...

Edited by Marsden11

Actually, OSX is cheaper than Windows. :icon8:
I'm currently running 10.3.9 on my PowerBook G4. I've been wondering for quite some time whether to upgrade to Tiger. I know, it's been out for over a year. I'm just not sure if it's worth the money. Panther does the jobs I want it to do rather well...

Dare I jump into the fray? I may teach Windows but I would not put a Microsoft Operating System on my Mac. Dard, why not skip a release and wait for the new one?I don't believe I agree with Chris on this one. The only reason to put Vista on would be if there is a program you can't run with the Mac. So far, I can run any program I use on the Mac. Then again, after 20+ years of regular computer use, I am particular about what I use and don't waste time installing every program that comes along. I have reached the point where I know what I use and that is what I stick with for installing on my computer.

Guest LilBambi

If you have the horsepower, you can run any guest OS in Linux, Mac, or Windows through things like VMWare, Xen, Parallels....Go with what you want, and experience them all virtually ;)I think Apple has a pretty good chance of taking at least a bite out of MS and the new iMacs might just be the way for that.I seem to remember IBM deluding themselves that they would not be deposed as well at one time...I thought it was interesting to see this:

Bill Gates promoting for Apple (for the Macintosh) in 1984.Gates quote about the Macintosh- Quote: “To create a new standard, it takes something that’s not just a little bit different, it takes something that’s really new and really captures people’s imagination and the Macintosh, of all the machines I’ve ever seen, is the only one that meets that standard.” — Bill GatesNEWS -1984 --http://www.businessweek.com/ -------Quote: "The next generation of interesting software will be done on the Macintosh, not the IBM PC." --Bill Gates, BusinessWeek, November 26, 1984 For a comparison of Macintosh versus Microsoft in 2005. Bill Gates words in 1984 still ring true.
http://www.jmusheneaux.com/

Dard, why not skip a release and wait for the new one?
Me? :)If I were to upgrade, I'd probably get Tiger instead of Leopard. My experience tells me that upgrading an OS by two versions is a lot riskier than doing so by just one version. Edited by daihard

Chris Pirillo has an interesting article on this subject.Since a lot of experts feel that Vista isn't really all it could have beenin light of the length of time it's taken Microsoft to put it together.A great alternative would be the ability to dual boot between OSX and Vista.Since OSX now operates on an Intel chip, this is a great Idea and would do wonders to makeApple a major contender in the OS market.Apple is also about ready to release their next upgrade called LeopardI would much rather spend money for adding Dual Boot capability to OSX or Leopard than spend itto upgrade to a still developing and unfinished Vista.Chris's full article can be found at:http://channels.lockergnome.com:80/windows..._vs_apple.phtmlWhat are your thoughts on this opportunity to push for an Apple - Microsoft Computer ?
I'm not interested in buying Mac hardware but I might pay for a version of OSX that would run in a VM session on my AMD64 computer. I have to run some flavor of Windows because I have a business that furnishes data to the Real Estate Appraisal industry. Currently I'm running W2K with several Linux flavors running in VM sessions. (Testing to see which one I can get working best as a Web and Mail server.) Edited by lewmur

lewmur, are you using VMWare for your VMs?
I'm using their free version, VMPlayer. There is a free session builder called VMxBuilder that you can use with a Linux iso to create a session. So far I have Mandriva, PCLos and Gentoo. Any suggestions for what I try next?