Stopping USB Mass Storage Device

merja

I am using a Transcend JetFlash USB 2.0 PenDrive (64 MB). Everything run smoothly for a month or so, but now whenever I try to stop it, I get the following message: The device 'Generic Volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.All I can do is that I don't care about this message and unplug the device. Maybe it's best not to use this safe stopping at all? Does someone have a hint what's causing this problem and how to avoid it?

Odd.While you were browsing the volume did you have the "thumb nails" generated by windows? that too will mess things up. I regularly have issues deleting folders that had the thumbs.db file generated until I reboot.Chris

Yes, I did disable indexing service long ago and I don't find any 'thumbs' at the moment from my folders.So, I just unplug the device discarding the message 'can't be stopped' or, if I have some very important files in it that I definetely don't want to lose, I restart my pc, which enables stopping the USB device correctly.Annoying, anyway! :) Some genius might develope a tiny tool to do that without restarting??? :rolleyes:

Had this problem with my 256 MB.I noticed that I needed to close all windows associated with the drive and wait a few seconds and all was well.Carl Croom

Had this problem with my 256 MB.I noticed that I needed to close all windows associated with the driveĀ  and wait a few seconds and all was well.Carl Croom
Sorry, but doesn't work for me! (OS Windows2000) :lol: