Temp files

Gus K

With CCleaner if I go to crear my TEMP files it shows a total of 7.47 MB. If I go to Run-> %temp% and select all-> properties it shows 9.67 GB. Hmm.....I guess I should know the answer, as I assume all TEMP files can be cleared. Delete all that %temp% lists?

It's probably going by the standard "files older than X days". Windows will do the same thing when you use it's temp files cleanup tool. I think it keeps files than a 10 days or younger intact just in case other programs are still using the files.

Makes sense, thanks.
If 7.47 MB represents all the files older than 10 days, one would think that the files for the current 10 days would than be approximately 10x7.47 MB which is 74.7 MB and a far cry from 9.67 GB. Even if activity for the current 10 day period was doubled the resulting size would only be 150 MB.My D:\Documents and Settings\Ed\Local Settings\Temp folder has files going back a month and folders going back several months and it's only 106 MB. My Temporary Internet files go back to December of last year and only add up to 5 MB.You might want to look into what files & folders the 9.67 GB encompasses. I think something(s) is stuck in a subfolder. And don't be afraid to manually delete things. It is the Temp folder and if something is in use Windows will tell you. :hysterical: Edited by EdP

Guest LilBambi

CCleaner will remove most temp files depending upon your settings, including chk files, .tmp files, etc.And some files are 'marked' for deletion upon reboot as well.However, the first time I get rid of /temp and /temporary internet files on a computer, I do it manually. And sometimes you do have to go back and check after a reboot .... no matter what automated cleaner you use.Another great cleaner to have onhand is Atribune's ATF-Cleaner:http://www.atribune.org/Direct link to ATF-Cleaner's page:http://www.atribune.org/content/view/25/1/

No one has mentioned files in various temp directories especially those found in user accounts... I've seen UA temp folders with GBs of folders and files.Where does this "10 day" parameter come from? I've never seen a system lock on any file/s over a single day. Any file the system has open is usually being written to at some point during any 24 hour period. Once it is written to it becomes current that day.