Wireless

teacher

The one thing that disappoints me about my MacBook Pro is the speed of the wireless connection. I was using a super G on my last notebook and can hardly believe the difference in speed. The Mac seems to crawl in comparison. Is there a wireless I can buy to add on that will speed up my connection?

I am using a mimo router that absolutely rocks with every other computer in the house (3 others). I usually get 108 on the tablet. I have turned interference roboustness on and off and it makes zero difference. I usually have 12/15 bars for connection as well. I have not run any speed tests but it is quite noticable different. I have set the tablet sdie by side with the Mac and it is quite faster. I think I am spoiled. This feels like I am back on dialup.

I believe Internet Robustness only works with Apple routers, which would explain why enabling it makes no difference. Is the speed difference you're experiencing on your Internet connection or computer to computer?

I don't do computer to computer - strictly computer to router. It is a faster router. I would think I could buy some type of card similar to a pcmcia that works for a Mac that would give me a faster connection.

Thanks Lizi suspect that is about the same as what is built in. I want something in the 108 range instead. i am sure spoiled from that on the tablet.

I don't do computer to computer - strictly computer to router. It is a faster router. I would think I could buy some type of card similar to a pcmcia that works for a Mac that would give me a faster connection.
When I said computer to computer, I meant on the local LAN via the router, so I think we're talking about the same thing. The built in Airport Extreme card is 802.11g, which I think is limited to 54MB. You'd have to find a third party, Mac compatible, card with a 108MB limit. I'm not sure if that even exists. I tried a couple of Google searches and could only find PC cards, nothing for the Mac.

That's what I figured. I don't connect to a local lan. I connect to my mimo router which talks to my DSL modem and that's it. I have never messed with connectivity between machines. The closest I get is sharing a wireless print router between my machines.

You guys are talking about the same thing. You connect via a local LAN or WLAN to a gateway (the router) to the Internet.bjf123 is wondering if you are seeing the slow speeds when connecting to another computer on your home network, but that is not the case, so I am assuming that you are speaking about your link to the Internet.That may be a couple of things. First, I would suggest running a speed test using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and see what your connection looks like. I would guess that you would top out at roughly 3000K when connecting to Washington, DC. If it is unusually lower than that, try running with an ethernet cable plugged into the laptop. I think you have an ethernet port on it.....If the speeds are the same, then it is not your wireless that is the issue, but your connection to the net or the router. The wireless LAN operates at 108Mbits/sec, and your internet should never be "slower" because of a wireless connectivity issue. Even if you have a basic 11mbit/sec connection to the router (the slowest protocol), you would still be almost four times the bandwidth of the internet!If you have a significant difference in speed when switching to a wired connection, then you should look at the wireless as an issue. In any case, opendns.com is a great service that you can use to make your internet "perkier." I use it here, and am very happy with the results.Hope this helps at least somewhat. :)Adam

I'm surprised you were getting 108 Mbps with a MIMO router.Companies like D-Link used the standard 54 Mbps inherent in the 802.11g protocol, and by compining two channels were able to offer speeds of 108 Mbps. Since MIMO (as I understand it) uses more than two channels and not necessarly the same ones that might be used by a normal 802.11g 108 Mbps PCMCIA card, I'm surprised you were able to get that level of throughput. In fact, D-Link would only guarantee 108 Mbps if you used a D-link 108 router and matching D-Link 108 wireless cards.