FF 1.5.0.6

havnblast

Firefox 1.5.0.6 is a stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version. * Fixed an issue with playing Windows Media content Release Date: August 2, 2006http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.6.htmlWow, lots of updates lately

I was able to update one 98SE computer, ME and both 2Ks but for some reason on my 2nd 98SE, I keep getting the message that there are no updates when it checks. Has anyone had this happen? If so, does it eventually correct itself?Today, it corrected itself. I suspect the server may have been overwhelmed last night when I kept checking. One thing I do not like, when it updates it always goes to the mozilla site - that has to take a lot of bandwidth for every FF browser updated to get there.

Edited by zlim

Can you imagine if even half of the "200 million" downloads of Firefox are trying to get even a 1 megabyte update. That is a lot of bandwidth. Especially for a free product. I don't feel bad for the millions of microsoft update downloads monthly as we have paid for that in a round about way.

Unfortunately, the Mozllia folks have been padding their total downloads by counting EVERY download for every version...Their latest release just shows how they are no different than anyone else when it comes to releasing code. It's full of holes just like everyone elses products.Apple just fixed 26 holes and hackers in Las Vegas just demoed hacking into a MacBook and taking control of the machine through holes in the wireless device drivers. They choose the MAcBook because of its so called better security than Windows.News flash...They can exploit this wireless hole on the Mac, Windows and any Linux distro...And you all thought you were relativily safe... :hysterical:

and on that Note: Dozen Windows, Office updates coming next weekMicrosoft has 12 security bulletins in store for next Tuesday that address both Windows and Office issues.Ten Windows bulletins will be released for Windows and two for Office as part of Microsoft's monthly patching schedule. Specific details on the types of issues that the bulletins address were not available, but at least one update for each product is considered critical and some will require a restart, Microsoft said in a notice posted on its Web site.Last month after Microsoft released its monthly batch of patches, exploits for flaws in its PowerPoint presentation software were released on the Web. Tuesday's patches could be fixes for those issues, but Wednesday might signal the release of other exploits for flaws the company has yet to patch.On the Windows front, security companies recently noticed a variant of an exploit for a flaw that Microsoft had previously patched, and Tuesday's updates could also contain patches that address that variant.Microsoft will hold a Webcast next Wednesday to answer customer questions about the latest cycle of patches.Source: C|Net News

Unfortunately, the Mozllia folks have been padding their total downloads by counting EVERY download for every version...
No they don't. At least, they don't count every update. They only count actual downloads. And even then they can only count downloads from their own servers.

Oh really...Then why does the actual percentage of people using FF hover around 13%?An increase in downloads should indicate an increase in users using FF...But that's ok as you are free to believe whatever they tell you... :whistling:

Unfortunately, the Mozllia folks have been padding their total downloads by counting EVERY download for every version...Their latest release just shows how they are no different than anyone else when it comes to releasing code. It's full of holes just like everyone elses products.Apple just fixed 26 holes and hackers in Las Vegas just demoed hacking into a MacBook and taking control of the machine through holes in the wireless device drivers. They choose the MAcBook because of its so called better security than Windows.News flash...They can exploit this wireless hole on the Mac, Windows and any Linux distro...And you all thought you were relativily safe... :whistling:
Unfortunately, the Mozllia folks have been padding their total downloads by counting EVERY download for every version...
And you can prove this???????

Oh really...Then why does the actual percentage of people using FF hover around 13%?An increase in downloads should indicate an increase in users using FF...But that's ok as you are free to believe whatever they tell you... :whistling:
Well first, browser statistics are inherently unreliable. You can spoof a user agent to claim to be some other browser. Where are they getting this data from? It's like claiming a political poll is extremely reliable in gauging opinion.Second, what if someone downloads Firefox but waits to install it? What if that user tries it and then doesn't continue using it?Their download number is not accurate, but they don't "pad" their numbers. For instance, I have gone to their site to download Firefox several times (reformatting Windows, getting a new computer, uninstalling it and re-downloading it...) not just once.

Oh really...Then why does the actual percentage of people using FF hover around 13%?An increase in downloads should indicate an increase in users using FF...But that's ok as you are free to believe whatever they tell you... :hysterical:
Um... when have they ever said the number of downloads reflects the number of users? Its almost impossible to keep tabs on the number of users without including some kind of spyware-WGA-like mechanism.An increase in the number of downloads could indicate that there was an updated version. Or that people lost their installation file and need a new one.And for a browser that isn't illegally tied into an OS, I'd say 13% is a darn good achievement. MS has finally woken up and is furiously improving IE.For someone with a quote like that in your signature, you certainly seem to be pulling a lot of "spin". :teehee:

Their latest release just shows how they are no different than anyone else when it comes to releasing code. It's full of holes just like everyone elses products.
Of course all software has holes. Has anyone here ever said that Mozilla/Firefox is perfect? I certainly haven't.
Its almost impossible to keep tabs on the number of users without including some kind of spyware-WGA-like mechanism.
Admitedly, they could only count downloads where the user agent requesting the executable file is not Firefox. Who knows, maybe they already do this...

Guest LilBambi

And what about all the computer techs that work on computers and put Firefox on the systems from a single download.And the other download repositories for the download such as softpedia, etc. and linux distributions where they come from the distros or other mirrors.And Neil is right, many are using FF but also using the IE spoofing extension, or engine switching so they get "MS only" pages in FF.The numbers are always going to be skewed....but not in the way some might think.This is a thread to announce a new version of a piece of software. Maybe we could get back on topic?Thank you.

Blake Ross, "The number includes both Firefox 1.0 and Firefox 1.5 and soon Firefox 2."This was before a group he spoke to last nihgt at Cal State East Bay.