Xmail address book and CSV

albrtijo

I have an email address text file. Everytime I goofup an OS and have to reinstall, I have to handcopy the addresses into Kmail's list. That's gotten old.I've been trying to make sense of CSV (even got frightened by XML) but like so many other actions in Linux, the first step is not basic enough (for me).My text list somehow has turned up constructed like this:aaaaaa,aaaaaa@aaaaaaaaaa.aaaSee the comma just like CSV!, but so far that is as far as I get.I'm sure you see why I need help.albrtijo

What I wonder about is why you simply do not make a backup of your Kmail addressbook . . . . /home/albrtijo/.kde/share/apps/kabc . . that way you can easily restore it in every next distro you install . . . . . ;) Bruno

I back up my evolution address book by doing an export and then open it in other programs and after new installs. I keep it on my partition where I store all documents that can be accessed by any distro. It works great.

What I wonder about is why you simply do not make a backup of your Kmail addressbook . . . . /home/albrtijo/.kde/share/apps/kabc . . that way you can easily restore it in every next distro you install . . . . . :hysterical: Bruno
Bruno and teacher: I have the the Email_Addresses text file on MandrivaOne desktop and `/.kde/share/apps/kabc sitting next to it, but getting the list from the Email_Addresses to the std.vcf, std.vcf__0, std.vcf_1, etc. of kabc is my problem.albrtijo

Hi albrtijoThe problem is that myself I use Evolution as an email/address client . . . do I am a bit in the dark here as to what exactly the format is kabc uses.My first question would be: that "Email_Addresses text" file, is that the file your old kabc used/generated ?See, normally you would backup the kabc and just replace the kabc in your new install with the backup ( as far as I am aware the "std.vcf_1, std.vcf_2, std.vcf_3 etc etc. are your addresses ):hysterical: Bruno

Hi albrtijoThe problem is that myself I use Evolution as an email/address client . . . do I am a bit in the dark here as to what exactly the format is kabc uses.My first question would be: that "Email_Addresses text" file, is that the file your old kabc used/generated ?See, normally you would backup the kabc and just replace the kabc in your new install with the backup ( as far as I am aware the "std.vcf_1, std.vcf_2, std.vcf_3 etc etc. are your addresses ):) Bruno
Bruno and all:The .vcf has to do with Vcard, but my addresses are in a handmade list that defies transfer to Linux (Kmail and others) address books except by one-at-a-time through Edit.I'm trying to absorb the information from "help etc." to compile an address book in the "system's" manner. But like so much of Linux there are umpteen different ways of handling a problem. The trick for the beginner is be aware when a click of the mouse has transferred him off his track to a second, third, fourth way. The beginner then must backtrack to first way IF IT HASN'T BEEN LOST.You experienced people know which is the next door on your way to exercising an action. We (beginners) are as apt to open the wrong door and then suffer those "I don't see why you would do it that way" aggravations.And now I'm feeling guilty of being ungrateful toward some of the most willing hands I've ever known.albrtijo

but my addresses are in a handmade list that defies transfer to Linux (Kmail and others) address books except by one-at-a-time through Edit.
Ahaaaa . . . it is a handmade list in .txt . . . . . . that explains it ! :hysterical: But in that case I only see one way to make them to .vcf and that is by doing the input in Kaddressbook by hand one by one.And once you are done . . . please make a backup so you will not have to do the same job again. :whistling: Bruno

Ahaaaa . . . it is a handmade list in .txt . . . . . . that explains it ! :whistling: But in that case I only see one way to make them to .vcf and that is by doing the input in Kaddressbook by hand one by one.And once you are done . . . please make a backup so you will not have to do the same job again. :rolleyes: Bruno
Bruno:"Formatted Name","Family Name","Given Name","Additional Names","Honorific Prefixes","Honorific Suffixes","Nick Name","Birthday","Home Address Street","Home Address City","Home Address State","Home Address Zip Code","Home Address Country","Home Address Label","Business Address Street","Business Address City","Business Address State","Business Address Zip Code","Business Address Country","Business Address Label","Home Phone","Business Phone","Mobile Phone","Home Fax","Business Fax","Car Phone","ISDN","Pager","Email Address","Mail Client","Title","Role","Organization","Note","Homepage","Department","Profession","Assistant's Name","Manager's Name","Spouse's Name","Office","IM Address","Anniversary","Blog""Celeste","Celeste","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","dolphis@coach.net","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","""Alex","Alex","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","adg@alex.com","","","","","","","","","","","","","","","""Bill","Bill","","","","","","","","I have all my addresses in this file labelled "addressbook.csv". I don't remember how I concocted it. I've started to hand pack the list again, but is this of any use?And my addresses text file was created on the the Contact page of Kontact which I have in use on other OSs and computers. I've moved to my Toshiba laptop where the address list is available in Contact of Kontact. But "help" (nor search/fumbling) doesn't give me a means to backup Kaddressbook.albrtijo

I've started to hand pack the list again, but is this of any use?
If you ask me . . . no !See Kaddressbook saves the addresses as Vcards . . . so you will have to back up the Vcards ( once they are made ):whistling: Bruno

If you ask me . . . no !See Kaddressbook saves the addresses as Vcards . . . so you will have to back up the Vcards ( once they are made ):whistling: Bruno
Bruno,Done. Thank you, but I'll be back.albrtijo