New Comp and Bookmarks

JerryM

I have a friend who has a new computer. We have not set it up yet. I suspect that it does not have a floppy drive.I recall that you folks helped me import my bookmarks when I got a new computer, using a floppy, but I do not remember how.Can someone tell me how to import bookmarks from an old computer using a floppy, and if there is no floppy drive, can I do it with a CD?Thanks,Jerry

Edited by JerryM

Transfering data for Firefox is easy. Just find the profile directory (typically, C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile> under Windows 9x, or C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile> for Windows 2K/XP/2K3), and copy it to the respective profile directory while Firefox is not running on the new machine. This will copy not only the bookmarks, but his configuration, history, saved passwords, cookies, and everything.As for IE, favorites are pretty much the only thing you can transfer. The favorites directory under Windows 9x is simply C:\Windows\Favorites, and under Windows 2K/XP/2K3 is C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Favorites. Simply copy that folder over the respective location on the new machine and bookmarks will be there.You can do all this copying by either stuffing it only a floppy disk and using some sneakerneting or by actually networking the computers and sharing resources.

Thanks, epp. I will try to do it when he gets ready. I am not sure I fully understand, but when I get into it I will probably understand. If not then I will ask again.Thanks,Jerry

You can do all this copying by either stuffing it only a floppy disk and using some sneakerneting or by actually networking the computers and sharing resources.
Or zip or rar the entire folder into a single file and email it yourself. Retrieve the attachment and unzip it after you get the new computer set up.

Or zip or rar the entire folder into a single file and email it yourself. Retrieve the attachment and unzip it after you get the new computer set up.
Hi Webb,This will be a learning experience in more ways than one.How do I zip a folder and how do I rar one? (Maybe as a dummy I are one. :) Best,Jerry

For Firefox, you could try Google Browser Sync.If it's Windows XP, according to this page, you can just right click, hit Send To -> Compressed (zipped) Folder and it will create a zip file. I usually use 7zip, which adds its own menu items for easy zip creation.

For Firefox, you could try Google Browser Sync.If it's Windows XP, according to this page, you can just right click, hit Send To -> Compressed (zipped) Folder and it will create a zip file. I usually use 7zip, which adds its own menu items for easy zip creation.
Thanks,I downloaded 7-zip. That seems to be the easiest way.Best,Jerry

James M. Fisher
Transfering data for Firefox is easy. Just find the profile directory (typically, C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile> under Windows 9x, or C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile> for Windows 2K/XP/2K3), and copy it to the respective profile directory while Firefox is not running on the new machine. This will copy not only the bookmarks, but his configuration, history, saved passwords, cookies, and everything.As for IE, favorites are pretty much the only thing you can transfer. The favorites directory under Windows 9x is simply C:\Windows\Favorites, and under Windows 2K/XP/2K3 is C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Favorites. Simply copy that folder over the respective location on the new machine and bookmarks will be there.You can do all this copying by either stuffing it only a floppy disk and using some sneakerneting or by actually networking the computers and sharing resources.
An altenative method in IE is to go to File>Import and Export and export Favorites to a floppy drive or another location. It is similar in FF under Bookmarks>Manage bookmarks>File>Export

An altenative method in IE is to go to File>Import and Export and export Favorites to a floppy drive or another location. It is similar in FF under Bookmarks>Manage bookmarks>File>Export
Thanks, James.I think that is the way I did it before with a floppy. It seems that there was a special format, if that is the right word, to put it on the floppy. It was not this, but at the end of the description was something like "asp" or some three letter format designator. I guess you see my lack of knowledge.Regards,Jerry

Ah, yes, super-sneakernet it! :)

James M. Fisher
Thanks, James.I think that is the way I did it before with a floppy. It seems that there was a special format, if that is the right word, to put it on the floppy. It was not this, but at the end of the description was something like "asp" or some three letter format designator. I guess you see my lack of knowledge.Regards,Jerry
This method (for both browsers) results in a single file called bookmark.htm or bookmarks.htm, depending on the browser. Of course, you can rename it to anything you like, such as 'FFboomarks.htm' or whatever. Then just reverse the process to import this file.