Is there a firefox extension...

havnblast

that can block those popup advertisements when your mouse hovers over a paticular word. The words are usually double underlined. An example site is majorgeeks.com and the LG forums.

Not an extension but a paid product. I run AdMuncher in FF under Windows only not linux, sadly, (also in IE for the rare times I fire it up) and I do not see any ads nor the double underlines at Lockergnome. I had to disable filtering there to see what everyone was complaining about. IMHO, AdMuncher is one of those programs worth loads more than it costs.I've sent an email to the developer asking if he considered doing something for linux. He answered, not yet.

yes I agree that is a nice program, but I don't want to run that here on the computer at work. I was just hoping that there was an extension. Gary probably has a solution eheheeh.A linux version would be nice that is for sure cause I have it on my XP System at home and love it.

I know what you mean about those ad links. Using the MVPS HOSTS file blocks some of them out, depending on how they're programed.I assume you've probably tried AdBlock already?

I know what you mean about those ad links. Using the MVPS HOSTS file blocks some of them out, depending on how they're programed.I assume you've probably tried AdBlock already?
yes I have adblock here at work
No Script worked for me. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
Seems to work here too, but when I click on a smilie to add to the post it takes me to a 404 error page, probably cause it is a javascript:thumbsup: allow the domain name and the smilie click works again

Well, Kerio firewall can't block those, or the tooltip popup that they cause in both FF and Opera.Not having to do with the forum there exactly, but in regards to Chris' lockergnome.com page, I found this unfortunately accurate and rather funny, too.But you have to give Chris one thing. He makes his work pay for itself. He may get complaints for his "Rent my Chest" thing (performance art?) and his heavy-handed advertising, but he pays for what he does on-line with the earnings from what he does on-line. Is getting paid for doing what you love a bad thing? His reputation allows him to charge for speaking engagements and his annual conferences are well supported by MS and other majors. Still, I'll admit that the ad proliferation in the forum takes some getting used to. Kerio blocks the ad blocks in the header, footer and on the wall of the restroom. But those blasted underlined links really distract from the flow of the sentences when you're trying to read a thread.

It's ok to have an ad here and there but when you look at a page and it is 90% advertisement, I'm not interested. If I like the site I will try to find ways around the display of ads. The underline word thing seems to be getting more popular so I was thinking it was time to find away to turn em off.I thought Gary had said he even had away to turn off the ads at the bottom of the forum here even. I have not found away to do that yet with firefox.I don't run a MVPS Hosts file, maybe I need to look into actually do that. I don't mind pages that have an ad or two, it's just the sites that are way too overwhelmed with ads that I want to fix.

I agree, advertising must exist, but it has to be done in a sensible fashion. Choking your site to death with ads is insane. Having ads that trick people into clicking them is just evil. Sites that have ads that distort the page so you can't even follow the content is just wrong. It's like some sites only exist to make money off of people clicking their ads.I don't click ads. I usually find away to disable the ad before I would ever click it.

You're referring to intellitext;You can block those with a add to adblock.

Edited by striker

You're referring to intellitext;You can block those with a add to adblock.
Not necessarily. Some of those texts are outsourced to the typical adfarming sites (doubleclick.net, adfarm.com, etc. and so forth). They are typically loaded in with javascript after the page has loaded. Depending on how they are programmed, they not show up at all or they may show up and link to 404s.

There is a bug in this script that causes a lot of false positives and can make it look like the browser has locked up. Either that or it isn't playing nice with another script. Since there aren't many sites that use intelletxt ads I've found it more efficient to add those that do to the include list than to apply the script globally.

Yea I had that no script one and it got very annoying. I just went with what Striker posted and adblock is doing just fine with em