short cut keys

rolanaj

I started a new job today and I now get to use a mac. Today was really busy so I am not even sure what kind of Mac it is. I did find that I was a little lost when it came to shortcuts. I found out about apple + a selecting all and apple + c for copy and apple + v for paste. Does anyone know any other helpful short cuts that are mac specific?I have to say being able to have folders tabbed on the bottom of the desktop is definitely cool. I think I have the best of all worlds, Linux and Windows at home and a Mac at work. One more question: what is everyones favorite browser for the mac? I was told that I could download firefox if I wanted to or use the ones all ready there - Netscape and Internet Explorer (?) who would have thought?

Don't forget Apple + Q to quit a program. Just closing it by clicking on the red dot at the upper right doesn't really close the program. If you want to see a neat effect, hold the shift key while clicking on the yellow dot to minimize the window. Apple + H will hide the program, which is sort of like minimizing in Windows.Firefox is a good browser, as is Apple's default Safari. I use both.

Thanks bjf123 I added your tips to a cheat sheet for work. I also found this list on the web:

GENERAL SHORTCUT KEYSPlease note that not all of the below shortcut keys will work in all versions of Mac OS.Open Apple + Down - Opens the selected icon.Shift + Click - Select the icon and add it to the set of those selected.Tab - Highlight the next icon inside the folder, in alphabetical order.Shift + Tab - Highlight the previous icon inside the folder, in alphabetical order.Left arrow - Used when viewing by icon to select the icon to the left of the one highlighted.Right arrow - Used when viewing by icon to select icon to the right of the one highlighted.Up arrow - Used to select the icon above the one currently highlighted.Down arrow - Used to select the icon below the one currently highlighted.Open Apple + ? - Mac helpOpen Apple + E - EjectOpen Apple + Shift + Up Arrow - Used to direct the input focus to the desktop level.Open Apple + M - Minimize windowOpen Apple + N - New finder windowOpen Apple + Shirt + N - New folderOpen Apple + W - Close the current window.Open Apple + C - Copy the elected item to the clipboard.Open Apple + X - Cut the selected item.Open Apple + V - Paste item from the clipboardOpen Apple + L - Make aliasOpen Apple + R - Show original itemOpen Apple + T - Add to favoritesOpen Apple + O - Open the selected icon.Open Apple + F - Display the find dialog box.Open Apple + G - Repeat the last find operation.Open Apple + Shift + G - Takes a snapshot of the screen and saves it to a PICT file.
At work we also use apple + p for print. I did find out I am using a G4 with OS 9.2 on it, they are supposed to be upgrading to OS X soon. I wasn't able to find a version of firefox compatable with OS 9.2 so I got Mozilla, but I will definitely check out Safari.

RolanaI think you will be very happy with Safari. I've played with it a bit and have found it to be quite nice. It is very similar to Firefox. :D

You'll find that most Windows shortcuts will work on the Mac. Just substitute the Apple key for the Ctrl key. If you've got an Apple one button mouse, you can hold down the Ctrl key when you click to mimic a right click on a two button mouse. Also, you definitely need to get upgraded to OS X. It's a great OS.

Safari is OS X-only, as well, but, like you said, older versions of Mozilla work with OS 9. You might also be able to find a version of Opera that works with OS 9. (I might suggest staying far, far away from Netscape, which on that computer is undoubtedly 4.x, and while IE/Mac isn't that bad (at least not version 5), it is still a bit dated by now.)However, OS X is much nicer, and I think you'll like it better. :whistling: And on OS X, I have Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Internet Explorer. I use Firefox as my primary browser with occasional use of Safari and Opera. I don't use IE unless I'm testing my webpage. (Safari definitely gives you the best "OS X feel" and I suppose IE might, too, though I don't recommend it anymore. Firefox is great but there are definitely times a discerning eye can tell it's not quite 100% native, and Opera is about the same in this regard, maybe slightly better. But ... not a huge deal.)Like Windows, many shortcut keys are listed in the menus. Like others have said, most Mac shortcuts are similar to their Windows counterparts but use the Command key (a.k.a. the "Apple" key, though that's not its official name) rather than the Control key.

SonicDragon

Definately go for Firefox or Safari.Personally, I use firefox most of the time. However, I think Safari is really great too.I wouldn't waste time with anything else :)Nice list of short cuts Rolana! Definately Apple+Q and Apple+W i use i all the time. I'd also like to add that Apple + Shift + 3 takes a PDF screenshot. If you need a JPG, you can open the PDF in Preview and save it as a JPG :)Being able to have folders in the dock is a really great thing. Make sure you drag you Applications folder down there. Once it's in the dock, you can click and hold and a list of your applications will pop up like a start menu!Enjoy ;)

Edited by SonicDragon

Thanks for the useful info, I'm taking notes. It is surprising how different an OS can feel, and it is definitely not windows. I think even kde in linux is closer to feeling like windows.

Guest LilBambi

You'll like OS X even more though for sure. We have a friend that had a G3 that had the DVD and other min requirements to move to OS X and he said it was like getting a brand new machine. He loves it!He keeps his old MacOS 9 too because he has some programs that still haven't been ported to OS X. But otherwise, he's always in OS X! ;)

I'd also like to add that Apple + Shift + 3 takes a PDF screenshot. If you need a JPG, you can open the PDF in Preview and save it as a JPG ;)
Don't forget Apple + Shift + 4 lets you select whatever part of the screen you want to capture for the screen shot, instead of the entire screen.

Lots of handy tips, thanks. I am curious, in Windows and Linux when I am typing I can easily move to the front of a line with home, and to the end of the line with end. This doesn't work with the Mac, could be the program (quark) that I am using too. Does anyone know an easy way to do this?

Lots of handy tips, thanks. I am curious, in Windows and Linux when I am typing I can easily move to the front of a line with home, and to the end of the line with end. This doesn't work with the Mac, could be the program (quark) that I am using too. Does anyone know an easy way to do this?
On a Mac you can use Cmd+Left Arrow (akin to "Home" on a PC) or Cmd+Right Arrow (akin to "End"). I find myself doing this now on Windows now, too (except using Alt instead of Cmd, of course) ... oops. If you really can't get used to it, there are "hacks" you can do in Terminal on OS X (don't know about OS 9) to rewire Home and End to act like their Windows counterparts, but the purist in me never let myself do that. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, that is one of the shortcuts I use alot, I think I can used to Cmd+left/right arrow. Not sure they would appreciate me hacking my computer at work. :o