Seamonkey bug, I think

jeffw_00

Hi guys - here's a weird one for you... In Seamonkey 1.0.1 on WINXP, I do Edit -> Preferences -> mail and newsgroups and check the box "make SeaMonkey my default mail client", and click OK. Then I immediately select Edit-> Preferences -> mail and newsgroups and see that the box I had checked is unchecked. (and every time I run Seamonkey, it asked me if I want it to be the default mail client and I say Yes but to no avail).This is a bug, i think?I've posted it on the SM forums without much luck. Anyone here have any ideas as to how I can debug/fix it?thanks!/j

only happens to me on one PC, and yes it could be an install problem. uninstall/reinstall didn't help though. Does anyone know what the name of the associated mozilla parameter is?/j

don't know - where's that? how do I access it?
In The Control Panel under default programs. A larger issue is why are you still using SP1?

SP2, and I don't see that option. sorry
In The CP , click on add/remove programs, it should be there on the left hand side if your not using the Classic Menu, if you are in should be visible within the CP. Edited by Gary

Very interesting - you would think that would work. However, no matter how I try to set that panel (thanks for pointing me to it), it ALSO doesn't stick. If I select SeaMonkey, or even check the box to allow access to it, next time I open that same panel box is unchecked and "default Email program" is selected. So this is looking more like a windows thing and less like a SeaMonkey thing. any ideas?thanks!/j

yeah - but isn't the 'nightly build' likely to be buggy?Anyway - didn't we just prove it's not a Seamonkey problem? Why can't I make the Program Access Defaults sticky?/j

Edited by jeffw_00

yeah - but isn't the 'nightly build' likely to be buggy?Anyway - didn't we just prove it's not a Seamonkey problem? Why can't I make the Program Access Defaults sticky?/j
Can't be any more buggy that the version you are using. IMHO I would use Firefox. It might not be a Windows Problem. MS may not recognize Seamonky. I will try it on my test machine.

Firefox isn't an integrated suite. It only happens to me on one machine. Now I'm thinking a corrupted registry entry - anyone know the Key for the Program Access and Defaults?

Firefox isn't an integrated suite. It only happens to me on one machine. Now I'm thinking a corrupted registry entry - anyone know the Key for the Program Access and Defaults?
Well yes Firefox is not a suite and not bloated either. Do not try that Nightly build. It is buggy.You might want to check Kelly's Korner for your reg hack.

So many posts, so little progress (sigh). Ok - after a fair amount of research and registry hacking - I'm back to this being a Seamonkey issue. As it says at the bottom of the SPAD (System Programs and Defaults) menu "if you can't set a program to be the default, contact the manufacturer of the program". If someone can point me to the registry key or about:config value that is set when Seamonkey Mail is made the default, I will clean it up and try again. Surely someone here must know where the flag is.thanks!/j

Edited by jeffw_00

So many posts, so little progress (sigh). Ok - after a fair amount of research and registry hacking - I'm back to this being a Seamonkey issue. As it says at the bottom of the SPAD (System Programs and Defaults) menu "if you can't set a program to be the default, contact the manufacturer of the program". If someone can point me to the registry key or about:config value that is set when Seamonkey Mail is made the default, I will clean it up and try again. Surely someone here must know where the flag is.thanks!/j
Why not try Here or Here :hysterical:

diagnostic doesn't appear to address the issue, have long since posted on Mozilla forums (not much gets answered over there).thanks