xp/fedora5/mandriva2006

elleon30033

Hi ElleonLOL . . . no need to try every combination . . LOL. . . . the 2 commands I gave you should give enough info.Well, since "cat /proc/swaps" comes out empty it means there is no swap partition active :(And the fact there is no "swapon" command worries me a little, so please do

# updatedb# locate swapon

Also have a look in your partition tool and see if the /swap partition you made is not only labeled as swap but also indeed "formatted" as such.B) BrunoI will see your answers in the morning and we will take it from there ;)

Edited by Bruno

elleon30033

pdatedb: can not open a temporary file for `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db'[smythe30033@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost smythe30033]# updatedb[root@localhost smythe30033]# locate swapon/sbin/swapon/usr/share/man/man2/swapon.2.gz/usr/share/man/man8/swapon.8.gz[root@localhost smythe30033]#

elleon30033

hey striker, i tried the comand as root with /sbin/proc/ swap -a and so on. I'm thinking bruno is right and though i partioned the swap in both fedora and mandy, i didn't format it. Now how do i go back in and do that without wiping out my installs...anybody ever done that? thanks....teacher, you are right. It was diahard or something another who made the comment concerning fedora, his avatar looks vaguely like yours and i mistakened the comment for yours. My apologies, and i certainly understand your feelings concerning your distro preferences....

burninbush
hey striker, i tried the comand as root with /sbin/proc/ swap -a and so on. I'm thinking bruno is right and though i partioned the swap in both fedora and mandy, i didn't format it. Now how do i go back in and do that without wiping out my installs...anybody ever done that? thanks....
First thing to do is to find out if you actually have a swap partition on your disk(s). #fdisk -l (note, lower-case L, not a 1) is all you need for that -- if it can't find a partition of type swap, then there ain't one, and you'll need to do something to fix that. When you boot into your other distro, does it find a swap partition?

[root@localhost smythe30033]# locate swapon/sbin/swapon
Hi Elleon . . . Excellent, this should give us enough info . . . can you give this command to mount the swap partition:
$ su< password ># /sbin/swapon /dev/sdb2

And next to check if it really is active:

# /sbin/swapon -s

If the last command comes out empty, please boot Mandriva and show us the output of the "swapon -s" command in there.:thumbsup: Bruno

elleon30033

smythe30033@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost smythe30033]# /sbin/swapon /dev/sdb2[root@localhost smythe30033]# /sbin/swapon -a[root@localhost smythe30033]# /sbin/swapon -sFilename Type Size Used Priority/dev/sdb2 partition 1534168 0 -1[root@localOMG, does this mean what i think it does....well, yeah, i show 1498mb of swap space in gkrellm. Now will it remain on reboot, or do i have to do something else.....thanks mucho So i guess the swap partition was there all along afterall. What just happened? LOL

Excellent . . . indeed the swap is there . . . it just was not active. :DNow try to reboot . . . and after the boot do:

# /sbin/swapon -s

to see if it still is active . . . . if not we need to add a line in the startup scripts ( Just a little hack: add "/sbin/swapon -a" as last line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ) to make sure that it gets activated at every boot.:thumbsup: Bruno

if not we need to add a line in the startup scripts ( Just a little hack: add "/sbin/swapon -a" as last line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local ) to make sure that it gets activated at every boot.:thumbsup: Bruno
You got this hint from the man swapon, didn't you Bruno?

elleon30033

ok, rebooted, the swap didn't stick, had to manually run the commands again to get it back and they worked. Now could you more literal about the changes i need to make to make it permanent and thanks again. I'm wondering why swap wouldn't be active be default, seems screwy to me.......

I'm wondering why swap wouldn't be active be default, seems screwy to me.......
Yep . . . seems to me too . . . but anyway we will fix it:
$ su< password ># mcedit /etc/rc.d/rc.local

This will open the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file in the MC editor . . . . ( NOTE: this editor works with the fucntion keys "F1" to "F10" at the top of your keyboard . . . "F2" is for saving the file and "F10" for closing the file ! )Now add this line at the bottom of that file: ( navigate with your arrow keys )

/sbin/swapon /dev/sdb2
Then save the file with "F2" and close the editor with "F10" . . . . . next reboot and you will see that after the reboot "/sbin/swapon -s" will show that the swap partition is indeed active :DB) Bruno

elleon30033

Ok, bruno, it is done. That series of commands did the trick. I rebooted and the swap was there without any intervention on my part. Well done....thanks

Congrats ! We both had a problem with the SWAP partition and both problems were solved. However, I wonder what was the cause of this in your case . :hmm: Maybe Bruno can shed some light on this?edit : could it have something to do with post #26, the SWAP was created but not initialized?

Edited by striker

LOL . . . I wish I knew what the cause was Striker.My guess: it was an install glitch or a small bug they still have to squash before they turn Fedora 5 into RedHat Enterprise Linux.:hmm: Bruno

elleon30033

oh no a riddle my dear friends. After 740 mb of updates through yum i still show the same kernel version. I know the new version number is not the same . So where oh where did yum put my new kernel.....where forth art thou kernel sir scotsonians? Aft a week of updates on dial up 740mb and patience yond fore n'er seen. where should she be where could she be mi kernel i seek with purest of heart :hmm:

oh no a riddle my dear friends. After 740 mb of updates through yum i still show the same kernel version. I know the new version number is not the same . So where oh where did yum put my new kernel.....where forth art thou kernel sir scotsonians? Aft a week of updates on dial up 740mb and patience yond fore n'er seen. where should she be where could she be mi kernel i seek with purest of heart :hmm:
LOL . . . . Elleon . . . . I know the answer to the riddle: You are using the Mandriva Grub ( that we adapted to include Fedora ) and we need to update that Grub to include the new kernel that is available for Fedora !So . . . . please boot Fedora and show me:
# ls -al /boot

Next boot Mandriva and show us:

# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

With that info I can contruct the new Fedora entry of the Mandriva Grub for you :DB) Bruno

elleon30033

ls -al /boottotal 7036drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 26 21:10 .drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 May 27 06:30 ..-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 63847 Mar 14 16:19 config-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64472 May 21 15:30 config-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smpdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 26 21:10 grub-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1099326 May 18 20:46 initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1096998 May 26 21:10 initrd-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 831559 Mar 14 16:19 System.map-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 830532 May 21 15:30 System.map-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1564844 Mar 14 16:19 vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1564200 May 21 15:30 vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smptis from Fedora 5 bruno

elleon30033

timeout 10color black/cyan yellow/cyanshade 1viewport 3 2 77 22splashimage (hd1,5)/boot/grub/mdv-grub_splash.xpm.gzdefault 0title linuxkernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb6 resume=/dev/sdb2 splash=silent vga=788initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb6 splash=silent resume=/dev/sdb2initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd.imgtitle windowsroot (hd0,0)chainloader +1title windows1root (hd0,1)chainloader +1title alt_windowsroot (hd0,0)chainloader +1title alt_windows1root (hd0,1)chainloader +1title failsafekernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb6 failsafe splash=silent resume=/dev/sdb2initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd.imgtitle Fedora_Core_Aroot (hd1,0)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=/dev/sdb1 rhgb quietinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.imgsavedefaultboottitle Fedora_Core_Broot (hd1,0)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quietinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.imgsavedefaultboot

Hi ElleonPlease add this section to the bottom of the Mandriva /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Fedora_Core_NEWroot (hd1,0)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp ro root=/dev/sdb1 rhgb quietinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5smp.imgsavedefaultboot

Save the file and run

# grub-install /dev/sda

to write the new grub to the MBR . . . next reboot and choose "Fedora_Core_NEW" from the boot-menu :DB) Bruno

elleon30033

bruno, i can't believe this. I mistakenly tride to add the grub edit while in fedora, now mandriva won't let me access /boot/grub/menu.lst.....is there anything i can do.?

now mandriva won't let me access /boot/grub/menu.lst.....is there anything i can do.?
This makes no sense Elleon . .. please try again there is no change you can make in Fedora that will keep you from editing a file in Mandriva !!:thumbsup: Bruno

elleon30033

bruno, sorry, got it sorted. all is well. thanks. Now for the really interesting stuff in fedora like the video card driver and mplayer. oh what fun.......