From Windows To Linux!

zox

Guest ThunderRiver

I agree with the author that Mandrake is more for Windows user than Red Hat is. On the other hand, I also think SuSE is more surperior to Windows user than Mandrake is because it doesn't harm your files as much as Mandrake actually does to your system. Of course, Mandrake does auto-resize and everything for you, but what you don't know is that it may accidentally and "automatically" kill some of your partitions without your knowing. I am not sure why Mandrake does that, but I don't trust what it does.

Hi ThunderRiverMandrake has indeed dificulties seeing the hidden Windows XP recovery partition. Windows seems to hide that partition quiet effectively . . . . . :D Computers that have XP pre-installed have the most risk that their recovery partition will be overwritten. Having the original XP CDs is the best guaranty to recovery.:) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Great article and it certainly is a great read for anyone considering giving Linux the 'ole college try.Going in with your eyes wide open is the best way to try something new.I love Linux and wouldn't do without it ... but that has not always been the case. Even with my pre-windows DOS experience and CoCo II experience before that, I waited till I really had the time and energy to start all over again. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Falling asleep just minutes before I get off shift at 4:00AM, I decided to go through my bookmarks and clean up a little to stay awake. One of them was the From Windows to Linux screed (Stephen Poole) that was posted here about a month ago. He's updated this article (just yesterday, i see!!), and it should provide a good laugh as well as good content. enjoy.good nightb

• 5 weeks later...

Moon I think you will find many here will tell you straight out. Many here are dual booters and using linux for the first time and have been sharing their views on it. Try asking your questions in the forum for straight answers to your questions.

Cluttermagnet
This is great article about switching from Windows to Linux.You won't be sorry for reading it :DArticle
Truly a great article, zox. Thanks for putting it up here (over 2 months ago). Maybe I have read this before, but when I started in again today, it was as if I had never seen it. This guy is a good writer. I like his style. Even in the first few paragraphs, he does a great job establishing his credentials (impressive) and narrowing down the focus, warning Linux users it is going to get and stay basic for Windows users. I can tell already that this one is a page turner, and I will no doubt read everything including all the great links in due time. Just what I need right now, my Knoppix CD still untried to date, and my internal PCI Winmodem already technically obsolete (for Linux). I will have to go buy a real hardware modem before long. But first to fix my other P4 box that died a couple of weeks ago. No video. I'm a great procrastinator. Probably could work my way up to president of the local Procrastinators Club chapter if I could ever get around to it. :D

Clutter,You get a modem on the double and we will all jump in and help you to get a perfect dual-booting system ! We´ll pick a nice and easy distro that is 100% safe for viruses and spyware and you will be able to sleep relaxed and happy, knowing that you finalLy got it done ! :D :D:D Bruno

I would like to see MS post that fix in the Knowledge Base Article - seriously tho - this goes to show and is a wake up call for people to not have to depend on MS to fix their computers. Live CDs make a great option to fix a windows problem and it's great to see some of these articles getting out for people's resources.Sorry there was no pun intended about MS vs. Linux

• 3 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
Clutter,You get a modem on the double and we will all jump in and help you to get a perfect dual-booting system ! We´ll pick a nice and easy distro that is 100% safe for viruses and spyware and you will be able to sleep relaxed and happy, knowing that you finalLy got it done ! :lol: :):) Bruno
Good deal, Bruno-Welcome back from vacation.My workload got very big in the summer, but as soon as I can get around to it, I will try to find a good hardware modem and replace my PCI winmodem. Any suggestions for where to find a good US buy on a well built unit? I was sure impressed this past week with the info that mhbell posted about that fan-cooled, removable HD drawer. I may get a couple of those. That was an example of somebody posting a really excellent buy! OK, so it only hot swaps for 98/ 98SE, but that is just what I am running.I will try my Knoppix CD running from the CD drive first. I'm thinking I may end up trying Mandrake soon after, as a lot of folks say it is easy to set up, also that it does not mess up things with dual boot, and that it has a pretty good 'look and feel' for Windoze refugees. ;)A friend of mine has been learning Linux for a few months. He is doing pretty good so far. He says he likes both his Red Hat and Mandrake, probably Mandrake a little better because of the 'look and feel'. I know I can find lots of good coaches in this forum, so I will plan to start at least playing with Knoppix in the fall.

Cluttermagnet
About MS Blaster and Knoppix . . . did you read This ??:) Bruno
A good article. I saved the url. This is one of the features of booting to Knoppix from the CD and running from the CD that really got me turned on when I read about it. I first saw mention of Knoppix in Fred Langa's newsletter this spring. He mentioned the CD was even being sold on Ebay. He was right. That is how I bought mine, and I got a real good price, too. Under $5. USD including shipping :lol: It greatly interested me to know that after I have learned the OS, I can even allow it to write to Windows to do repairs if Windows crashes unbootable. Neat!

• 8 months later...