Sun Java JRE installation w/Firefox 1.5x

Scot

Has anyone else had trouble getting Sun's Java JRE (java vm) to install with Firefox 1.5x?When I install, it only gives me the option to check or uncheck installing to Internet Explorer. Did the JRE stop giving you the option of whether to install to Firefox or other browsers? (The system I'm installing on has IE6 and Firefox 1.5.0.3).Thanks for any info.-- Soct

Thanks, Steeler_Fan, but is this a specific version other than Sun's Windows version? Or is there some other place on the Sun site where this can be had? And do you know about the problem I'm raising? Because I think a whole lot of people out there probably think they're installing Java for Firefox when, in fact, they might not be.-- Scot

Hm. I have Java installed, but I don't really remember installing it. It's possible it just carried over from an earlier install.From PluginDoc, these offline installers should work. There is actually a specific Java FAQ. The only thing that sounds like is the Microsoft VM, but you did specify the Sun VM. There is also a registry entry linked on that page, perhaps that would help?

I have IE 6 and Firefox 1.5.0.3 and used PluginDoc to get Sun's Java to install in Firefox. After installation I was unsure if it installed (don't know where to look), so a couple of weeks later I went to PluginDoc again to download the file for another try. Firefox download box came up immediately with the previously downloaded file. I tried to install, but the installer found the same version already installed. So I cancelled the installation. Still unsure, I went to pogo.com (game site) and loaded a game. While playing the game I looked in the bottom tray and found the Java cup. Game played well. So I am installed, just would like to know where the plug in is located. It is not in the Plugins Directory. Long story short, PluginDoc worked for me, but I believe that Firefox is somehow using the file from win exp/program files/Sun Java/ver 1.5.0.06, maybe. Hope this helps,I'm still confused,CharredEdit: No longer confused. I typed in about:plugins in the address bar and found that Sun Java is indeed plugged in.

Edited by Charred

Now I'm confused. I did about:plugins (I never knew about that) and it showed some but not Sun Java. Then I did my usual method about:config with the filter:plug and Sun Java is listed there 1.3Scot have you

Remove any Java plugin files from your Plugins directory when installing a new JRE release (if present).
? Source: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Intro Edited by zlim

Now I'm confused. I did about:plugins (I never knew about that) and it showed some but not Sun Java. Then I did my usual method about:config with the filter:plug and Sun Java is listed there 1.3Scot have you ? Source: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Intro
about:plugins gives me the various dll's for
Java™ 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6 File name: NPJPI150_06.dll Java Plug-in 1.5.0_06 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
Good point about uninstalling all prior versions of Sun Java -- regardless of which browser it is for -- due to the vulnerability to Winfixer/Vundo/Virtumonde.

about:plugins gives me the various dll's forGood point about uninstalling all prior versions of Sun Java -- regardless of which browser it is for -- due to the vulnerability to Winfixer/Vundo/Virtumonde.
Yes, but these only show up if you have Java enabled in Tools > Options > General, otherwise they won't be shown in about:plugins :D .

Striker, I have the JavaScript Console in Firefox > Tools, but nothing referring to Java in Firefox > Tools > Options > General.

Striker, I have the JavaScript Console in Firefox > Tools, but nothing referring to Java in Firefox > Tools > Options > General.
Neither do I.

striker, Thanks for the clarification. I do have java disabled. But I don't have an option to enable or disable it from Tools > Options > General instead my location is Tools > Options > Content

Mine is in tools/options/content also. Did it make a difference when you enabled Java, Zlim? I'm glad about:plugins worked for me, now I can say that I use Firefox for everything except windows updates.thumbsup8de.gif

Charred, I'll take your word for it because I don't have a burning desire to enable Java. :devil: Now that I understand what shows and why, I'm a happy camper! I was also working with tech support for a few days over SiteAdvisor (McAfee purchased it from the developer) which wasn't working since McAfee took it over. I'm not a big fan of McAfee but I must commend the tech support for working with me to get this free extension working properly. I like it so much that if it does go pay, I'll purchase it. When I do a google search it is nice to know which sites NOT to click on because they will foist nasties on my computer. Because I also run AdMuncher, I had to add some personal filters to get it to work. It is now working properly in 98SE, ME and 2K.

striker, Thanks for the clarification. I do have java disabled. But I don't have an option to enable or disable it from Tools > Options > General instead my location is Tools > Options > Content
>_< You're right folks, it's Tools > Options > Content. I was wrong about the exact location, that's what you get when looking at 4 machines simultaneously. :sweatingbullets: