Best way to upgrade Camino?

Lover of quiet computers

Lover of quiet computers

I installed Camino 1.0 on my Mac (with Tiger) when it was released earlier this year. Now that Camino 1.0.1 was released, I'm wondering how I should install it. Is it just as easy as simply installing it over 1.0? Would I get enhanced performace by wiping out the old Camino and importing my bookmarks? Is there something else I should do before I upgrade?

When I've installed new versions of programs, I will usually just install it right over the old version. I think your bookmarks will still be there as long as you don't delete the Camino prefs file. You should be able to delete the program file, though I'm not 100% sure on that. It's been quite awhile since I've used Camino, but I've done what I've outlined with Firefox with no problems.

Edited by bjf123

Lover of quiet computers

I should clarify: It's not losing data that I'm worried about. Rather, it's inoptimal peformance. Would I get better performance from Camino 1.0.1 by first clearing out my personal data from Camino 1.0, or by deleting Camino 1.0?

Just drag the new Camino into Applications. It will replace your old one with this new version. (If you feel so inclined, you can also remove the old one before copying over the new one, but I believe either will basically do the same thing: old one's gone, replaced with the new one. I don't know how OS X works behind the scenes, but it probably does basically the same thing either way. In any case, I'd say no way is significantly different from the other.)As for your personal information, I'd recommend just leaving that all intact, especially since this is such a small upgrade. (BTW, this info isn't stored with Camino in your Applications folder, it's in /users/<you>/Library/Application Support/Camino. You can add, remove, or update Camino itself, and this other information will remain safe and sound. If, for some reason, you ever would like to remove this information, however, that is where it is stored. I don't really see a reason to do so, however.)