IBM Hard Drive RMA

FuzzButt

Hello,Well if you read a topic I posted in the other Forum I have a hard drive issue. The problem is with a 30GB IBM Deskstar model DTLA-307030 and a 46GB Deskstar model DTLA-307045. Both do not work. the 30 works up until about 12% of a format and the 46 does not even read. The 30 is dated Sept of 2000 and the 46 is October 2000.Does anyone have experiance with RMA'ing these drives? Is it worth even bothering? I really don't need a replacement but if the Warranty was still good I would at least try. I heard the 3 year was cut to one year a while back and these would not be covered anymore if that was the case. Thoughts?By the way the replacement 160GB Maxtor works great so far. I filled it will 100GB of data so I can start removing 2 other suspected IBM drives. I would seriously hate to loose any of my MP3's or Music Video's.Chris

FuzzButt,I don't think your staement is correct about the hard drives not being under warranty for 3 years.True, I believe all HDD vendors did chnage their warranty terms from 3 years to 1, except for a few high end drives. Western Digital, for example, still gices you the 3 years on their drives with the 8MB cache.I would try the RMA process to see if the drives are still under warranty. You could go thru their websites and request the RMA. It will ask for the drive information, such as the serial, model number, product ID's and any errorcodes that you received when checking the drives with their prespective HDD utilitities.Isaac~

Guest ThunderRiver

IBM is no longer producing hard drives, so chances are you are going to get one from Toshiba or an old refurbished one from IBM.The chances of breaking down on refurbished one is much much higher than a new one because if there was ever a head crash, chances are some of the scar still exist.

For IBM hard drive warranty service go to this web site and follow the instructions. I would download the drive fitness test program and run that. I did that and found that the drive I thought had bad sectors, didn't and I didn't have to send it back.

nlinecomputers

Peachy's link is the place to go. I've RMA'd an IBM or two and never had a problem with the replacements. Both were new NOT refurbs as far as I could tell.Most HD manufactures HAVE cut back on warrenties but that is on NEW drives. They still honor outstanding warrenties. They'd get sued by every attorneys general in every state if they didn't.

Guest ThunderRiver

alright.. maybe that only applies for those who bought IBM HDD directly.. We made purchases on Dell machines, and the IBM drives they replace as refurbished. Cheap dell heh

OK well I have run the Drive Fitness test from the HGST website and found that the 46GB and 30GB drives had serious sector issues. I performed the "Erase Disk" options on both then tested again. The 46 had "Read errors" afterward and I RMA'd that one. It was still under Warranty and had nearly a year left. The 30 GB tested fine after a few hours of running the seek test I tried to install Win2000 on it. I got through the NTFS Format and Data copy but it would not boot to W2K after the first reboot. there was file corruption. I will be sending that drive back as soon as I can find another box. I sent the 46GB back in my new maxtor drives's box today via UPS for $7. Not that I really need the drives replaced but it is just the principle of the Warranty. Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Return material authorization (RMA) notificationIMPORTANT:This note has been generated by a service machine.  If you need to respondto this e-mail, please respond to: support_usa@hgst.com                              Dear Chris:Your replacement drive was shipped to you on 2003-06-27.Your RMA number is - #6xxxxxx2  For drive: Part number - #07N3931        Serial number - #YMxxxxx4
Looks like they are replacing my 46GB drive. Hopefully I get it in time so I can use it's box to send the other drive. Not too shabby for $7.

The 46.5 GB drive I returned RMA a few weeks ago has returned. The repalcement was a 60.1GB. I am stopping by UPS tomorrow with the 30GB one. Not to bad as RMA's go much better than rebates.