I purpose a contest of sorts

Marsden11

Marsden11
Marsden11, since you're using IE7 Beta, can you explain the purpose of that screenie you posted with the thumbnails of the pages loaded. I see the tabs so you can click from site to site, but why the thumbnails? I don't get it.
The more tabs you have open, the harder it becomes to read their tab names. With a quick mouse click, you can see a thumbnail of each page loaded in your browser. As they say, "A picture tells a thousand words."short-tabs.png

The more tabs you have open, the harder it becomes to read their tab names. With a quick mouse click, you can see a thumbnail of each page loaded in your browser. As they say, "A picture tells a thousand words."short-tabs.png
I would have to say that you lost the contest. 48,500 with a peak of 189,764 and 100% CPU usage. :blink: I had 38 tabs open before and never used that much and no where near 100% CPU usage.

Marsden11

I lost nothing... I run a distributed computing client in the background boincmgr.exe *32 which is clearly listed in my TM screen shot. That BOINC client (uses 99% of the CPU 24X7.boinc-client.pngHave a look at the CPU usage for iexplorer.exe *32A big 00Any other astute observations you would like to make???

I lost nothing... I run a distributed computing client in the background boincmgr.exe *32 which is clearly listed in my TM screen shot. That BOINC client (uses 99% of the CPU 24X7.boinc-client.pngHave a look at the CPU usage for iexplorer.exe *32A big 00Any other astute observations you would like to make???
See Post 34. I have gone far enough with this test. o:)

The more tabs you have open, the harder it becomes to read their tab names. With a quick mouse click, you can see a thumbnail of each page loaded in your browser. As they say, "A picture tells a thousand words."
Thanks. I usually have 15 to 20 tabs open but just look at the favicon. Even with 30 tabs, I can still pick out Scot's face and easily find my way here. o:)

Guest LilBambi

Me too Corrine ... for me anywhere from a low end of 4 to a high end of 15-20 tabs open ... never have a hard time finding what I want either LOL! Scot's face alway easy to find for sure. o:)

Marsden11

Just for Gary... (BTW, I turned the BOINC client off so as not to confuse you with CPU usage.)Screen shot to large to display here. (1.1MBs) Edited link...49 Tabs49-tabs-for-the-win.pngI'll let the images speak for them selves.Gary-43 tabs in FireFox looks like a real mess. No points for a "clean" interface there!

Edited by Marsden11

Just for Gary... (BTW, I turned the BOINC client off so as not to confuse you with CPU usage.)Screen shot to large to display here. (1.1MBs) Edited link...49 Tabs49-tabs-for-the-win.pngI'll let the images speak for them selves.Gary-43 tabs in FireFox looks like a real mess. No points for a "clean" interface there!
There is nothing you could post that would confuse me, why don't you jsy stay on topic and leave your smart arse coments to yourself. I am done with this stupid contest as as said it proved nothing.C-Ya

Marsden11

Apparently, I did confuse you. How else could you post a comment stating that IE was consuming 100% CPU cycles? When every screen shot I posted clearly shows CPU usage for iexplorer.exe *32 at 00?

...why don't you jsy stay on topic and leave your smart arse coments to yourself.
Sounds very much like a personal attack... I'm really sorry your favorite browser came up short in this informal product comparison.How do you measure performance if you don't compare yourself to a similar product? But it's comparisons like these that aid developers in creating better products. From the screen shot Webb posted, his tiny browser smoked IE7 b2. I would like to see his browser with 49 tabs going. Am I throwing fits trying to spin it in my favor? Am I attacking his methodology? Am I complaining that comparisons like these are pointless and have no meaning? It seems the truth is very painful for many around here... that's really too bad...

Apparently, I did confuse you. How else could you post a comment stating that IE was consuming 100% CPU cycles? When every screen shot I posted clearly shows CPU usage for iexplorer.exe *32 at 00?Sounds very much like a personal attack... I'm really sorry your favorite browser came up short in this informal product comparison.How do you measure performance if you don't compare yourself to a similar product? But it's comparisons like these that aid developers in creating better products. From the screen shot Webb posted, his tiny browser smoked IE7 b2. I would like to see his browser with 49 tabs going. Am I throwing fits trying to spin it in my favor? Am I attacking his methodology? Am I complaining that comparisons like these are pointless and have no meaning? It seems the truth is very painful for many around here... that's really too bad...
If anyone won this contest it would be Webb. A personal attack. Ha! A real Browser test would have to be on like equipment with everyone having the same specs and going to the same sites.As I said in a prior post, the outcome of this test will not prove anything or persuade anyone to switch browsers. You like IE7 and that is OK, I like Firefox. Firfdox does run better under Vista. o:) BTW I never said that IE was running at 100%, all I said was that your CPU was. :huh:
I would have to say that you lost the contest. 48,500 with a peak of 189,764 and 100% CPU usage.
Where in the above does it say IE? Edited by Gary

Marsden11
I am done with this stupid contest as as said it proved nothing.
It actually proves quite a bit. FireFox is heavier and slower and requires a larger foorprint in memory.The rendering engine and UI controls are exported to 3rd party developers. Choosing heavier controls that run slower, and a slower rendering engine is a design decision. Reinventing the wheel for no apparent reason is a design decision. Ergo, developing a browser that is heavier and slower is a design decision and not inherent. Any decent developer addresses strengths and weaknesses of the platform they're building for. Otherwise, good ol' #ifdef would get kinda lonely. That code, as you almost noted, is "sunk-cost". The footprint is the footprint regardless of what browser is running and what code chooses to make the calls into those DLLs.Perhaps we should strike the word "comparison" from all dictionaries effective immediately. Anyone with me on that?

It actually proves quite a bit. FireFox is heavier and slower and requires a larger foorprint in memory.
It is not slower , it is not bloatware and I can view this forum without getting script errors. No matter what the outcome of this test would have been, your answer would be the same. Actually Opera is a tad faster than Firefox, but I do not like it's interface.bowtothefox7mw.gif o:)

Marsden11
If anyone won this contest it would be Webb. A personal attack. Ha! A real Browser test would have to be on like equipment with everyone having the same specs and going to the same sites.
Hardware has nothing to do with program memory management or calls to DLLs.I found it very interesting that in Webb's screen shot, that FF was running concerrently in the background chewing up 25% of his CPU cycles. I guess it was doing something really important...I looked at Webb's browser's website. It is only compliant to HTML 3.2 and not 4.0. There are many websites that his browser will be unable to render...As to same sites... I'd be more than happy to give you all the URLs that comprised my 49 tabs in my last screen shot.

Hardware has nothing to do with program memory management or calls to DLLs.I found it very interesting that in Webb's screen shot, that FF was running concerrently in the background chewing up 25% of his CPU cycles. I guess it was doing something really important...I looked at Webb's browser's website. It is only compliant to HTML 3.2 and not 4.0. There are many websites that his browser will be unable to render...As to same sites... I'd be more than happy to give you all the URLs that comprised my 49 tabs in my last screen shot.
If hardware has nothing to do with it, then maybe I should drag out my old PC with 32mb of memory and test IE7 on it?

Marsden11
It is not slower, ...
Snipped from Scot's May Newsletter Edition:
Perhaps IE's best advantage over Firefox is how quickly it launches. IE7 loads literally several times faster than Firefox. Mozilla supporters may say that's because Microsoft loads a good part of IE's code into Windows. I was no big fan of Microsoft's past insistence that IE could not be separated from the Windows code. But about that being an unfair advantage, my thought is: So what? I just want a browser that starts up quickly. Mozilla can do better on that score.
IE7 loads faster because it is lighter code!

I don't get what testing beta browsers in a beta OS proves. Really, I don't get what testing this at all proves, but testing unfinished browsers and/or unfinshed operating systems (insofar as either can ever be "finished") proves even less.
This is the only post here that is a real valid statement. o:)

Marsden11
If hardware has nothing to do with it, then maybe I should drag out my old PC with 32mb of memory and test IE7 on it?
You can drag out what ever you like... I don't think you are going to run FireFox on that either...

Firfeox 1.5.0.3 is not a BETA.
Right, but you also said "in Vista". That's still beta (or is it even there yet? :huh: ) Also, IE7 is still in Beta.
There are many websites that his browser will be unable to render...
Internet Explorer knows a thing or two about being unable to render websites o:)

IE7 loads faster because it is lighter code!
Except for the part you totally ignored, where he mentioned a large amount of IE is loaded into Windows before you even launch the browser. You quoted it, but apparently didn't care to address it.

Except for the part you totally ignored, where he mentioned a large amount of IE is loaded into Windows before you even launch the browser. You quoted it, but apparently didn't care to address it.
That is why this entire test was a wste of time and effort.

Guest LilBambi

After last night's postings, I think we are done here.Move along ... nothing to see -- UNLESS subsequent postings can be 'topic' related without personal attacks or useless, derogatory and unkind comments.If any more postings aimed at other members instead of honest and considerate debate over the topic is posted, this topic will be removed from the open forum.The Admin/Moderation Team will be discussing whether all posts from last night should be removed.I suggest those who were involved with the unkind posting frenzy here last night, think about it carefully before posting another word in this topic.This is a final warning. Thanks, --Bambi

All,I moved havnblast's post -- which no doubt sincerely questioned why a forum admin asked people not to escalate in this thread -- into another area for the time being. But questioning any SNF mod's decision in a public forum is grounds for closing that thread. And I am exercising that option.We don't think anyone did something bad here, folks. Although the chest thumping was beginning to slide into the gray area. We're not big on whose muscles (brains, memory footprint, etc.) are bigger (or in this case smaller) than whose around here. We're big on friendly environment. Disagree all you want. Just try to do it in a way that doesn't make people think you're shoving each other on the subway.For those of you who have never moderated an active forum, it's not always what you say that concerns us. It's how profusely the steam is rising in a thread. And there was a lot of huffing and puffing going on here. So, please, understand, this is about cooling off, not about telling you what words you should or should not use.I am *temporarily* closing this thread, but leaving it visible. In a day or two, any person who posted in this thread or who wants to can ask any of this forum's mods, or any forum admin, to re-open it.-- Scot