PCLos supergamer DVD

rolanaj

Just got the Supergamer DVD in the mail today and thought I would fire it up and take a look, Everything seems to load ok but it brings up a command prompt. I typed startx at the prompt and got this error

uanble to open /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
Is there a cheat code I need here?Also when I tried booting back into Mandriva I got a kernel panic, twice it fails to find initd or something. I cant see how the two could be related. I am currently using the version of PCLos I have installed on the computer and it doesnt seem to be having any problem at all.

Hi RolanaIs that computer having the Nvidia card ?Can you try this for the DVD: type at the bootprompt "livecd 3" it will then boot up to runlevel 3, next log in as root ( password "root" ) and type "XFdrake" and reconfigure the graphics card, also press the "Test" button to see if the X is okay. Next close XFdrake and log out as root by pressing Ctrl+D, then log in as "guest" and type "startx" . . . this should then bring up the GUI.A shorter way you can try is when logged in as root typing "XFdrake --auto" the Ctrl+D, log in as guest and type "startx"The problems for Mandriva can not be related to the DVD . . . . I wonder what happened, are you using the Mandriva Lilo or the PCLos Lilo to boot ??I guess if you keep getting the init-error you can do and "upgrade" with the install CDsB) Bruno

Hmm I was going to say that I am using the Mandriva lilo but now I really am not sure it seems to me that recently I had a problem with lilo and may have used the one for PCLos.I took the nvidia card out of my old PC and put it in this one. Thanks, I try your suggestions and let you know how it goes.

RolanaThere are 2 things:First: the line for the glx in the xorg.conf has to be:

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"
I see you are posting: "uanble to open /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" . . which is odd ( there is no libglx.a :thumbsup: )I tested the DVD on my computer and it was okay.Second: the Mandriva issue:You might be missing in the lilo.conf of PCLos the line in the Mandriva section:
initrd=/boot/drake/initrd.img

Can you check this ??:o Bruno

Using your first suggestion I was able to startx in PCLos supergamer dvd. Looks good too. My son is gone for the night doing a 30 hour famine at school to raise money for world hunger, he is going to get a good surprise when he comes home, looks like a lot of games he will like.I will boot into the installed version of PCLos and check that out. I was thinking about installing the new PCLos over the old so should I do that first? I should mention I booted into Mandriva no problem at all before playing with the new PCLos dvd, it is the version I use most of the time so I am surprised it all of a sudden has an issue with lilo. Although I am glad it is only a problem with lilo.

I think I would first make sure your mandrake is booting okay again . . . . . . Maybe you changed the BIOS to boot from the DVD and the problem is there ??Yep you can install the DVD too ( as far as I know you should be okay ) but remember it is based on PCLos 9.1 and not the 9.2 you are running now.:o BrunoUPDATE: I checked the PCLos forum and indeed the DVD can be installed to HD too, only getting the updates can potentially mess up the Nvidia drivers ( because of a new kernel and funky dkms ) . . . so if you only use it for gaming: don't get updates :thumbsup:

Ok I checked my lilos in both Mandriva and PCLos and I am using the Mandriva lilo. This time Mandriva booted no problem at all :clap2: so apparantly the problem fixed itself :clap2: I will install PCLos over the other install then and avoid any updates. None of the games will play with the livecd any way. I'm hoping this is fixed by the harddrive install.

UPDATE: I checked the PCLos forum and indeed the DVD can be installed to HD too, only getting the updates can potentially mess up the Nvidia drivers ( because of a new kernel and funky dkms ) . . . so if you only use it for gaming: don't get updates biggrin.gif
is this something that should be fixed later?

LOL . . . glad the boot issue fixed itsself :clap2:

is this something that should be fixed later?
Maybe there will be a version 2.0 based on PCLos 9.2 . . . . ;):clap2: Bruno

Just an update, I have installed the supergamer version to the harddrive and all the games seem to be working with the exception of Americas Army. Also noticed I didnt have any sound but it was late when I got it installed so I'll check it out more now that I am awake. :clap2:

Just an update, I have installed the supergamer version to the harddrive and all the games seem to be working
Glad the games are working . . . the sound might just be an issue of un-muting the mixer :clap2:
with the exception of Americas Army
maybe because you are from Canada :clap2: ???:clap2: Bruno

Well I unmuted the mixer but still no sound, acts like its playing a cd but no sound.

maybe because you are from Canada tongue.gif ???
Well I would play Canadas army but I suspect it is probably something like pong :clap2:

Well I unmuted the mixer but still no sound, acts like its playing a cd but no sound.
Is it only failing playing CDs or all sound ?
$ play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

If there is no sound at all, but there was on the DVD when playing live . . . just copy over the /etc/modprobe.conf and reboot.Or copy the sound-relevant lines from your Mandriva /etc/modprobe.conf over to the PCLos /etc/modprobe.conf. Lines that look like:

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1remove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
>_< Bruno

Well played with kmix again and got sound. When I installed PClos I told it to delete the guest account, there is still a guest account called gamer, should I be deleting this one? I added two new users and they seem to have totally different wallpaper and taskbar icons, I was able to find them and change the icons to the ones I liked (the firefox one and the home one are pretty neat)The menu seems to be mixed up too, well at least the games seem to be scattered around differently.

Well played with kmix again and got sound.
Good . . . progress, that is what we like !! Glad you have sound !
When I installed PClos I told it to delete the guest account, there is still a guest account called gamer, should I be deleting this one? I added two new users and they seem to have totally different wallpaper and taskbar icons, I was able to find them and change the icons to the ones I liked (the firefox one and the home one are pretty neat)The menu seems to be mixed up too, well at least the games seem to be scattered around differently.
I think you should not delete the guest/gamer account . . . because if you have a look in /home/gamer ( or /home/guest . . I don't remember exactly ) you will see that a lot of games are installed in the /home directory . . so they will not play anymore for the new created accounts . . . . . . also the menu-setup is coded in the /home/gamer and thus will not be the same in /home/rolana.Sure you could copy over the files to /home/rolana . . . but do not forget to change permissions and change the startup-scripts of the games in /home/gamer to point to the correct executable that changed location.So in a nutshell: better keep the /home/gamer for playing games and use the other accounts you made for non-gaming users ;):( Bruno

but maybe I will change the password on that account.
Good plan !! . . ."# passwrd gamer" should do the trick and ask you for the new password :ph34r: . . ANd as long as you are changing passwords . . do the root password as well :) ( "# passwrd" is the command to change the root password )B) Bruno

Hey cool easy commands, I think I actually changed the root password on install though.I have to tell you my young fellow is really impressed with the games and how good the graphics are. Americas Army worked just fine once I logged in as gamer and got online with it.

I have to tell you my young fellow is really impressed with the games and how good the graphics are.
Glad he is happy with it . . . . I guess in little time you will have to drag him off the chair if you want to access the computer yourself <_< :DB) Bruno