xmms

sol4u1

Hi,I just installed PCLinuxOS.. I selected one mp3 file and right click, open with xmms..the song played smoothly..but when i drag n drop a song in to playlist of xmms. it is shown in list but playing even the time was not shown.. But when i add through add button of playlist window, the songs can be played..is there any update i have to install? i don't knowSolomon.

Hi SolomonYep there are plenty of updates available in the synaptics package manager ;)But I would wait for the bootloader problem to be solved ( other thread ):thumbsdown: Bruno

Okay SolomonUpdating PCLos:Go to the Menu --> Configuration --> Packaging --> Synaptics ( Never use Kpackage once you started using Synaptics !! )In Synaptics press "Reload" ( wait for the reload to finish ) next press "Mark all Upgrades" and finally press "Apply" ( if it asks do the "smart upgrades" )Then wait patiently for the package manager to finish . . . . . and when totally finished reboot your PCLos ( usually a reboot is not needed but because it has a new version of KDE you will have to reboot ):thumbsdown: Bruno

Hi BrunoI have tried the above steps and I got the following error message :

Could not download all repository indexesThe repository might be no longer available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and the correct writing of the repository address in the preferences.

SolomonCan u tell me how to attach a image (screenshot to the message)

Hi SolomonThere is not way to attach a file to a post . . . the only thing you can do is upload it on Flickr ( or something like it ) and link to the pic.Now, your problem: we will have to replace the content of a file called /etc/apt/sources.list . . . . this is how it should look like:

#PCLINUXOS apt repository# rpm http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar # rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar # rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsite/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar # rpm http://rpm.nyvalls.se/ pclinuxos/2004 thac  # rpm http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar

Just open the file in Kwrite:

$ kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list

and replace the text ( copy and paste ) in it with the one I posted above . . .then save the file and try Synaptics again.:thumbsdown: Bruno

:huh: . . . strange !Well, please show me
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

and I will check what could be wrong with it.B) Bruno

it is here...

[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/apt/sources.list#PCLINUXOS apt repository# rpm http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsite/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar# rpm http://rpm.nyvalls.se/ pclinuxos/2004 thac# rpm http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar[root@localhost ~]#

Solomon

Well, that does look okay Solomon . . . . . next questions: 1). Did you press the "reload" button in Synaptics after changing the sources.list ??2). When you go in Synaptics to "Settings"--> "Repositories" what box is ticked and if you click on the line to highlight it does it look exactly like this ?:132468824_125d3fb090_m.jpg <-- click to enlargeLook at boxes for "URI", "Distribution" and "Section(s)":huh: Bruno

Hi,

1). Did you press the "reload" button in Synaptics after changing the sources.list ??
YES, I have pressed the reload button
2). When you go in Synaptics to "Settings"--> "Repositories" what box is ticked and if you click on the line to highlight it does it look exactly like this ?:
It is exactly the same, the URI, Distribution and Section (s)Solomon.

:thumbsup: . . . would you mind to press the reload again, next the mark all upgrades and the apply ?? ( Maybe the mirror was down yesterday ):o Bruno

Hi,This is what I get when I press Reload:where can i upload the image correctlyIm unable to send the imageStill getting the same error messageSolomon

I am puzzled by this . . . . maybe the firewall blocks ftp addresses ?? Can you paste this in a browser and see if it loads:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/

:thumbsup: Bruno

Let's try it in a different way:

$ su< password># apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Please show me what the terminal replies to youB) Bruno

im already in Root

[root@localhost ~]# apt-get update && apt-get upgradeE: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (2 No such file or directory)E: Unable to lock the list directory[root@localhost ~]#

solomon

Hi SolomonIt is getting late . . . have to get some sleep . . . . but:My lock file is in /var/state/apt/lists . . . . . can you have a look:

ls -al /var/state/apt/lists

:thumbsup: Bruno

Hi,i think there is no such directory on my partition. i dont know

[root@localhost ~]# ls -al /var/state/apt/liststotal 12drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Apr 20 21:45 ./drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Apr 20 21:45 ../-rw-r-----  1 root root	0 Nov 19 14:24 lockdrwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 19 14:24 partial/[root@localhost ~]#

solomon

Well, Solomon, that output looks 100% the way it should be.This all is very unusual, never saw this happening before. It has to be something really simple that we are overlooking.Are you maybe logged in as root ? ( and not as guest or the new user you created during the install ? )Did you delete the "Guest" account in the last steps of the install process ?:clap2: Bruno

Hi,I did logged as a Root, I did not create a User while installation, also I did not delete the guest account. At Login, I see root and guest. I always login as root.I'll try reinstalling it. But I dont know how to reinstall from the Live CD. I hope the same way i installed previously.Solomon

No need to reinstall ( yet ) . . .just log in as Guest with password "guest" and try the updates again :)Loggin in as "root" is very very bad practice :clap2: :clap2: Bruno

Bruno,why it (logging in to root) is so bad? >_< Solomon
Because it is like running Windows as administrator . . . it makes you vunerable for all kinds of pests . . . there are rootkits for Linux and they are just as dangerous as the ones for Windows . . . . And you can mistakenly give the wrong command and mess up your system.Linux security is based on strict permission rights . . . that is the whole point ;)B) Bruno

Hi,I reinstalled PCLinuxOS and everything is fine now. The download of Upgrades starts. I see an option in Synaptic, only to download Upgrades but not install. i dont know where these upgrades are stored. i want to copy them to a CD. If I reinstall PCLOS, then i can directly install the upgrades from the CD. As it takes 10 hrs on my internet connection.Solomon

That is great Solomon !! . . . Glad it works better now !I think the packages are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives ** ( see note below )Mind you . . . some people say that installing all the updates in one batch can sometimes give problems . . so maybe do them in 2 or 3 times just to make sure you don't mess up the install ( personally I never had any problems with the updates though ):) Bruno** to burn them to CD you will have to copy the files to your /home first and change ownership ( else you get permission problems ):

# cp -r /var/cache/apt/archives /home/solomonchown -R solomon:solomon /home/solomon/archives

After this you can burn the /home/solomon/archives directory to CD/DVD

Thanks for the info Bruno.What I suspect is the linux partitions I created while installing to the Hard Drive. However, there is a little confusion in the Disk Partition process. what I did previously was created new partitions, I created /, /home, /usr. however, in the next screen choosing partitions for /, /home, /var, /tmp; I selected /usr which i created in previous screen for /var. I also did not create a /tmp. This time I created /, /home, /var, /tmp and selected respective partitions in the next screen. The installation is completed and I am able to download updates with out changing the repositories. Do I need to change the repositories which you have posted previously?Finally, I came back to the starting of the thread. that when I drag a mp3 file in to the playlist of xmms, it cannot be played. however, it is listed in play list. Also, the time is not displayed beside song name in play list.SolomonLife with Linux

Hi Solomon

This time I created /, /home, /var, /tmp and selected respective partitions in the next screen. The installation is completed and I am able to download updates with out changing the repositories. Do I need to change the repositories which you have posted previously?
Nope there is no need to change repositories if the ones you have work okay <_<
Finally, I came back to the starting of the thread. that when I drag a mp3 file in to the playlist of xmms, it cannot be played. however, it is listed in play list. Also, the time is not displayed beside song name in play list.
I usually don't drag files to the playlist . . . . . but use the buttons to add songs to it. :hysterical: ( dragging over is very fancy but a typical Win© action :angry: ):ph34r: Bruno

Hi,Suddenly, xmms wont open. when I click on Multimedia>sound>xmms, a hour glass is displayed in the panel and disappears. So, I completely removed xmms and installed again. It worked fine but after a restart the issue surfaces again. I am not sure whether the issue is due to Updates. I use xmms most because, it had an option to chose between two sound cards. I have a Sony Sound system and onboard integrated sound card with ADI chipset. So I change the configuration in Preferences of xmms to USB DAC.I can also change in KMix but it will not reflect the sound.Solomon.

Ahaaaa . . . you have 2 soundcards . . . and right there could be the problem! Because in general Linux does not handle 2 soundcards very well ( it actually surprises me you have sound at all ! ) . . . What we mostly do is disable the onboard soundcard in the BIOS and only make use of the PCI soundcard. Maybe have a try and see if that makes xmms more stable.Also please check if the output-plugin in xmms is set to "alsa" . . . . that can make a big difference too ;);) Bruno