Tweakui2k

-ct-

just to keep it alive and kicking, and mebbe just a bit to annoy you with my impossible situations :o, i've copied the thread from the other board to here.maybe someone can come up with some sort of idea anyway?:::-ct- .....has a setting to "scroll by 3 lines" for the mouse, but it won't keep the setting editing the registry does not work either ideas? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:::ScotSite Admin Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:00 pm Post subject: Re: tweakui2k This is a common problem but I've found that it can be caused by several things. The first thing I would ask you is what mouse hardware do you have and what mouse driver/config software do you have instaled? And have you checked settings there? And I'll see if I can fix the forum clock. -- Scot ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:::-ct- somehow i changed something and now i can't get tweakui2k to retain the "scroll by 3 lines" setting for the mouse this started happening right abut the time i tried to do a translation of a document from french to english in MS Word (office XP) it downloaded/installed "something", i didnt' pay close enough attention to it at the time (i was in a hurry) reboots do not affect anything changing the setting works immediatley, but if i close and reopen an IE window (or almost any app that has a window that allows scroilling), it's back to 1 line, even if there's still an IE window open this affects any document in IE, OE, MSO and explorer windows editing the registry itself to change all instances of the scroll wheel has no lasting effect either this happens to be a memorex branded optical mouse - it's never given me a problem and it shows as a standard ps/2 mouse in device mangler and works fine on other computers too. in properties: sample rate: 100 reports/second wheel detection: look for wheel input buffer length: 300 packets [.] fast initialization :Microsoft Driver Date: 11/14/1999 Driver Version: 5.0.2183.1 :Microsoft Windows 2000 Publisher all standard M$ issue, no changes to driver needed changing the options there has no effect and, this value is not present here in win2k > HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Mouse there were other locations for scroll by lines, but i forgot where now,and they have no effect anyway - of the advice i have been given, reinstalling the OS is NOT an option ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :::ScotSite Admin I doesn't happen all that often, but I'm stumped. You might check what processes are running on your PC if you think some sort of program was installed. -- Scot ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :::-ct- Scot wrote: I doesn't happen all that often, but I'm stumped. You might check what processes are running on your PC if you think some sort of program was installed. -- Scot hehhe, that's twice now last time was about SP3 and java VM no, nothing else was installed or is running, so i dunno what's going on either ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :::Scot Yeah, I'm going to have to look out for you and your off-the-deep-end questions from now on, bud! -- Scot lol :o

Guest starfarer

Have you tried un-installing the mouse software and then reinstalling it? Or better yet downloading a fresh copy of the software if available.

im not a fan off tweakui prefer tweaknowI run A4 mice on all machines, with A4 drivers, and run into this problem, with tweakuiThe A4 drivers, have this option and works with no probs

Have you tried un-installing the mouse software and then reinstalling it?  Or better yet downloading a fresh copy of the software if available.
there is no software to download or update, this is a default M$ driver for a mouse, and is the exact same as it was before this problem started happeningit had no problems

• 5 months later...

Well, you can install the Microsoft Mouse driver and set it to a basic wheel mouse. Then you can customize the wheel scroll...

nope, haven't treid any memorex drivers, and i have no reason tothis problem came up for no particular reason, and the scroll effect was perfectly fine up to the point mentioned, so i can't see a reason to use a different mouse or different drivers, especially when this has happened on 3 different computers and 3 different mice

nope, haven't treid any memorex drivers, and i have no reason to
So are you are using a Memorex (crap) mouse and see no reason to use the proper drivers for it, and you wonder why it isn't working? :(

no, you're not understanding :( it's a perfectly fine mouse, optical, etc - works just FINE, has been working JUST FINE for quite some timestandard M$ drivers work JUST FINE for any mouseup until the point i mentioned several posts agothis is NOT a problem with drivers, or with the mouse in questionit IS a setting somewhere in win2k

• 4 weeks later...

this is to F-ed up....went to reboot earlier, and came back to a BSOD - the entire SOFTWARE hive of the registry is GONE!no clue as to why - still looking for that causeanyway, fully reinstalled now - deleted \winnt, renamed \program files to progs, and renamed \documents and settings to docs, and deleted the nt files for each usergot done installing, re-named the folders back to normal or copied files over (whichever was easier for each)reinstalled most of my appsno problems with scroll-by-3-lines turning into 1UNTIL!!!!!!i started the install of office xp and while it was installing, went to another folder to look for a fileall of a sudden it's at ONE D*** LINE!!!! ;) :teehee: ;) :( :angry: :huh:

How long do you want to fight this mouse issue?Purchase a MS mouse which requires no drivers to be installed in order to work. After that, download the latest Intelipoint drivers from MS and then set the scroll amount to whatever you like...It's your dead horse... beat it as long as you like...

With the different threads and all, I may've missed this, but do you have an HKLM key for the mouse scroll?If not you may want to try the More Explorer Options at http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.htmlThis wasn't intended for W2000 AFAIK, but check the key in the registry file at http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explore...reroptions.html and try to manually add the key. (~2/3 down pg)I say this just because the HKCU key keeps changing perhaps the HKLM, which should trump the HKCU anyway, won't be changed by whatever keeps making the change. I checked XTeq, and there it also changes the HKCU, at least in my old version here.Just an idea offered in true ignorance. I'm in WinME now so I can't even tell you what it'll do in XP. (I've never had W2000)

With the different threads and all, I may've missed this, but do you have an HKLM key for the mouse scroll?If not you may want to try the More Explorer Options at http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explorer.htmlThis wasn't intended for W2000 AFAIK, but check the key in the registry file at http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/explore...reroptions.html and try to manually add the key. (~2/3 down pg)I say this just because the HKCU key keeps changing perhaps the HKLM, which should trump the HKCU anyway, won't be changed by whatever keeps making the change. I checked XTeq, and there it  also changes the HKCU, at least in my old version here.Just an idea offered in true ignorance. I'm in WinME now so I can't even tell you what it'll do in XP. (I've never had W2000)
yeah - i've found and edited all instances of the scroll in the registryit has no lasting effectThunderriver- it's a ps/2 connection, though the same thing happens if i use a usb mouse

To add more confusion: I use a logitech cordless mouse on 2K, sometimes USB and sometimes PS/2. I have Office 2K installed and tweakui. I also had an older version of xteq (I don't use - too many bells and whistles for me). I do not have a problem scrolling 3 lines at a time. I never lost the ability to do so.