Gotta love the French

Peachy

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1943255,00.asp Admit it, he's right sometimes! :)
So while drug-dealing, cocaine use, murder, mayhem, armed robbery, rape, and illegal corporate shenanigans run rampant in the U.S.A., law enforcement has to be on the lookout for movie downloading, to protect Hollywood billionaires. Curiously, the police are often mocked and ridiculed in these movies. Ah, irony.

I agree with nine out of every ten articles this guy writes in PC Mag. He's just, well...right. And that this is definitely one of those in the "9 of 10" category. :thumbsup:I particularly enjoyed this:

This much I can say: Law enforcement should not be wasting the taxpayers' money looking inside every car where they see some guy sitting reading a newspaper, in hopes of finding a Wi-Fi poacher.Knock, knock. "Sir, is that a laptop? Out of the car! Hands on the hood. I said hands on the hood! Spread 'em. Jenkins, grab the laptop. Click on View Wireless connections. What's it say?""Says 'default,' sir.""Okay, go door to door, find default!"Bang, bang. "POLICE, OPEN UP!"Soon there's a 10-year-old peering out of a partially opened door. "My mommy is in the bathroom.""Ask her if you have a wireless router in the house called default.""You're scaring me!"I mean, come on! The Wi-Fi poaching police are on the job. How humiliating is it to be assigned that job? "So what do you do for the police? Vice? Narcotics? Gang infiltration? Homicide?""No, Wi-Fi poach protection and enforcement!"I'm moving to France.
:thumbsup: ...yet, sad :thumbsup: Edited by epp_b

Well at least they allow you to make personal copies of your own media, which one should have a right too. I agree tho, illegal downloads are no different than stealing gum from a store, not sure that jail time is the answer tho.

• 4 weeks later...
our laws are the result of congres being mandated to be in session for so long.
Never under (over?) estimate politicians. Here in South Dakota our legislative sessions are 40 working days in odd numbered years and 35 days in even numbered years. And we don't appear to have a shortage of ill concieved laws. Sigh.

I think the shortness of the legislative session directly impacts the number of laws that get passed without anyone ever really reading them - and not in a good way.

Marsden11

In the US... if you go into a bank and shoot a security guard wounding him and manage to steal $1000 bucks, your sentence will be 15 to 25 years. You could get out sooner with good behavior or early parole.If you sit at home in your bathrobe and electronically steal 1 penny from any US banking institution, you will receive a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole.

In the US... if you go into a bank and shoot a security guard wounding him and manage to steal $1000 bucks, your sentence will be 15 to 25 years. You could get out sooner with good behavior or early parole.If you sit at home in your bathrobe and electronically steal 1 penny from any US banking institution, you will receive a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole.
Welcome to America... :)

Please, please can you provide a reference? I would like to research these statements and can not find it after half an hour of doing searches.

I have to cover a lot of statutes for cyer crimes in my digital communications courses. He is citing one I have not seen and I would really love a reference so I can research it and add it to the curriculum if I can find a credible source such as a federal law website or other first person posting. :)

Marsden11

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE PART I--CRIMES CHAPTER 47--FRAUD AND FALSE STATEMENTS Sec. 1030. Fraud and related activity in connection with computers[Laws in effect as of January 24, 2002]I believe Sec. 1030 has sharper teeth these days.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE PART I--CRIMES CHAPTER 47--FRAUD AND FALSE STATEMENTS Sec. 1030. Fraud and related activity in connection with computers[Laws in effect as of January 24, 2002]I believe Sec. 1030 has sharper teeth these days.
I found that statute: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/us...30----000-.htmlNothing there is higher than 20 years unless you manage to cause death by computer which is punishable by death. I am still trying to imagine how you can kill someone by computer. I could find nothing that indicated you could steal a trivial amount and get life. It just did not add up.

Guest LilBambi

using a computer to cause traffic lights to change causing an accident with deaths involved?using a computer to open a drawbridge when traffic not stopped with deaths involved?lots more involving computers being used to cause utilities abuse...with deaths involved ... I think they even were considering something like that with the blackout a year or two ago, when they were saying it could have been started by a computer worm...speculation if there had been deaths ... read it in an article somewhere.

it was a moonless night, the wind was howling.the ninja assasin stood waiting on the roof.professor simmons stepped out to smoke one.that's when the pc hit 'em.
That'll teach the prof to take a smoke breakSee how much better offhe would have been if only he had given it up. :D

Nothing there is higher than 20 years unless you manage to cause death by computer which is punishable by death. I am still trying to imagine how you can kill someone by computer. I could find nothing that indicated you could steal a trivial amount and get life. It just did not add up.
According to that law, the penalty is FINE or IMPRISONMENT (or both) of not more than 10 years. The offense may be aggravated by 3 circumstances, for which 3 stiffer penalties can be applied.For REPEAT OFFENDERS, or IF SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURIES WAS ALSO CAUSED OR INTENDED, a fine or imprisonment (or both) of not more than 20 years. IF DEATH WAS ALSO CAUSED OR INTENDED, a fine or imprisonment (or both) of up to life imprisonment.Penalty is not about, and therefore not based on, the amount, if any, the offender profits from his conduct. It is punishment for IMPAIRING "the integrity or availability of data, a program, a system, or information of a computer exclusively for the use of a financial institution or the United States Government ...." The fine or term of imprisonment is determined by the court, SUBJECT TO THE LIMITS this law provides. For example, a court can sentence an offender to only 1 year imprisonment plus $5 fine, but it cannot sentence the offender to 11 years unless he is a repeat offender, or has also caused or intended serious physical injuries or death. And there is no provision for non-eligibility for parole. Edited by b2cm