First two problems when reinstalling free2006

albrtijo

Had a driver's written test to pass and my mind insists on only one task at a time. During a break from studying the driver manual, I playfully decided to install PCLos and didn't pay attention to the HDA numbers. Well the point is: I have to reinstall free 2006. (Who says confession makes one feel better?)Two small steps to start: do I remove "kat" in free2006? What about the 1000 files MCC says have to be removed with it?Second, the entry of a temporarily unused file does not appear in the screen's bottom panel. In fact with the temporary replacement of a file being used, the used file is lost and must be restarted.I've downloaded all upgrades, but they still haven't fixed that.That's it, but if I hadn't passed the driver's test (100%) I would have put myself back on Windows permanently.Help, please. albrtijo

Kat : see here :http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=319and scroll down to 'After the install' ;

Second, the entry of a temporarily unused file does not appear in the screen's bottom panel. In fact with the temporary replacement of a file being used, the used file is lost and must be restarted.
You mean an opened file doesn't show up in the panel or the Pager?You passed the driver's test, Congrats ! :P

Hi albrtijoTo remove kat without the dependencies:

# rpme kat --nodeps

;)The second question, I am like Striker and don't really get what you are asking :DB) Bruno

# rpme kat --nodeps

;)The second question, I am like Striker and don't really get what you are asking :DB) Bruno

Hi Bruno and striker:Yeah, striker got it right. He used English, I used gobbledygook.albrtijo

Look 'n Feel > Taskbar : check 'Show application icons',Group Similar Task : make it read 'when taskbar full';Does that resolve it for you?

# rpme kat --nodeps

Bruno, I get this:[charlie@localhost ~]$ su[root@localhost charlie]# rpme kat --nodepsRPM version 4.4.2Copyright © 1998-2002 - Red Hat, Inc.This program may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPLUsage: rpme [-i] [-iv] [-iv] [-iv?] [--aid] [--allfiles] [--allmatches] [--badreloc] [-e|--erase <package>+] [--excludedocs] [--excludepath=<path>] [--fileconflicts] [--force] [-F|--freshen <packagefile>+] [-h|--hash] [--ignorearch] [--ignoreos] [--ignoresize] [-i|--install] [--justdb] [--nodeps] [--nomd5] [--nocontexts] [--noorder] [--nosuggest] [--noscripts] [--notriggers] [--oldpackage] [--percent] [--prefix=<dir>] [--relocate=<old>=<new>] [--repackage] [--replacefiles] [--replacepkgs] [--test] [-U|--upgrade <packagefile>+] [-D|--define 'MACRO EXPR'] [-E|--eval 'EXPR'] [--macros=<FILE:...>] [--nodigest] [--nosignature] [--rcfile=<FILE:...>] [-r|--root ROOT] [--querytags] [--showrc] [--quiet] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [-?|--help] [--usage] [--dbpath=DIRECTORY][root@localhost charlie]#

Look 'n Feel > Taskbar : check 'Show application icons',Group Similar Task : make it read 'when taskbar full';Does that resolve it for you?
Sorry but nope!

Meaning the pager does not work okay ??:hysterical: Bruno
The pager (access to desktops) works. But when I click the "Tips" icon on my laptop, in the vacant area of the bottom panel a sign flashes on/off: "Starting Tips". It's immediately replaced with a rectangle inscribed: "Tips for Linux Explorer". If I should click another icon, the "Tips" rectangle dims while replaced on screen by the "another icon's" file. When I want to activate "Tips" again, I click the "Tips etc" rectangle and "Tips" comes on screen.On my Sony desktop none of that happensalbrtijo

Sorry Albrtijo . . . my head must have been in the wrong place :hysterical: . . . try

# urpme kat --nodeps

;)And for the kicker problem, try to remove these 2 files:/home/albrtijo/.kde/share/config/kickerrc/home/albrtijo/.kde/share/apps/kickerThen log out and log back in again and see if the problem is fixed.:hysterical: Bruno

Sorry Albrtijo . . . my head must have been in the wrong place :w00t: . . . try
# urpme kat --nodeps

;)And for the kicker problem, try to remove these 2 files:/home/albrtijo/.kde/share/config/kickerrc/home/albrtijo/.kde/share/apps/kickerThen log out and log back in again and see if the problem is fixed.:D Bruno

Bruno, the "urpme" got rid of "kat", but removing "kickerrc" and the folder "kicker" and its two files didn't enable files-in-use to show in "kicker?".albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

In other words: (using just examples here)You hit the Firefox icon, it starts to load : in my situation the cursor starts to bounce and in the taskbar a rectangle appears with the name 'Firefox'; that taskbar rectangle starts flashing, but you immediately hit the Sylpheed button on the desktop in order to also load Sylpheed : so you try to load two applications immediately one after the other.The cursor still bouncing from loading Firefox bounces further happily while the system is trying to also load Sylpheed, but now the taskbars rectangle of Sylpheed flashes a few times while the rectangle with 'Firefox' is still being showed in the taskbar : Sylpheed then opens. So I have two rectangles in the taskbar.In the background Firefox has also opened but while you loaded Sylpheed the last in row it has gotten the focus.That would be perfectly normal behaviour.Is that the correct description of what you would like to observe ? (not speaking of the Sony now)Or in your situation there's only ONE taskbar rectangle showing up? And it only shows the name of the application you loaded last in row?If you would like to observe the behaviour like I described above, you could check the settings mentioned below, like they're set on my distros:Look 'n Feel > Taskbar section:In the Taskbar area the only one checked is 'Show application icons ; the two other boxes in here are unchecked'. Group similar tasks : 'When Taskbar Full' , and Appearance 'For Transparency'.Now the actions section : Left button : 'Show Task List', Middle button 'Cycle through Windows' and Right button 'Show Operations Menu'.These are my settings; When I do like you do and hit the Firefox button on the desktop immediately followed by hitting the Sylpheed button, both apps get loaded and there will be two separated rectangles on the taskbar, one indicating Firefox and the other one indicating Sylpheed. I hit Sylpheeds button the last, so while that one has started loading the last in row it gets the focus on screen when opened.

:hmm: . . . well, well, a stubborn kicker ? Would you be willing to backup the full /home/albrtijo/.kde directory . . . then log out, log back in as "root" and remove the /home/albrtijo/.kde, next log out as root and log back in as albrtijo so it can rebuild a brand new ~/.kde ? B) BrunoPS: Sorry . . . did not see Strikers post ( crosspost ) . . . . maybe check his suggestions first . . ;)

In other words: (using just examples here)You hit the Firefox icon, it starts to load : in my situation the cursor starts to bounce and in the taskbar a rectangle appears with the name 'Firefox'; that taskbar rectangle starts flashing, but you immediately hit the Sylpheed button on the desktop in order to also load Sylpheed : so you try to load two applications immediately one after the other.The cursor still bouncing from loading Firefox bounces further happily while the system is trying to also load Sylpheed, but now the taskbars rectangle of Sylpheed flashes a few times while the rectangle with 'Firefox' is still being showed in the taskbar : Sylpheed then opens. So I have two rectangles in the taskbar.In the background Firefox has also opened but while you loaded Sylpheed the last in row it has gotten the focus.That would be perfectly normal behaviour.Is that the correct description of what you would like to observe ? (not speaking of the Sony now)Or in your situation there's only ONE taskbar rectangle showing up? And it only shows the name of the application you loaded last in row?If you would like to observe the behaviour like I described above, you could check the settings mentioned below, like they're set on my distros:Look 'n Feel > Taskbar section:In the Taskbar area the only one checked is 'Show application icons ; the two other boxes in here are unchecked'. Group similar tasks : 'When Taskbar Full' , and Appearance 'For Transparency'.Now the actions section : Left button : 'Show Task List', Middle button 'Cycle through Windows' and Right button 'Show Operations Menu'.These are my settings; When I do like you do and hit the Firefox button on the desktop immediately followed by hitting the Sylpheed button, both apps get loaded and there will be two separated rectangles on the taskbar, one indicating Firefox and the other one indicating Sylpheed. I hit Sylpheeds button the last, so while that one has started loading the last in row it gets the focus on screen when opened.
TaskbarX Show windows from all desktopsX Sort windows on desktopnoX Show only minimizes windowsX Show application iconsnoX Show window list buttonGroup similar tasks AlwaysLeft button: Show Task ListMiddle button: Cycle Through WindowsRight button: Show Operations MenuAbove is my default "Configure-KDE Control Module -- Taskbar" . X and noX (absence of an X) appear before each of the first 5 lines I tried your version but there were still no responding rectangles in the taskbar (As with yours, the appearance of one and two rectangles (and 3 and 4 etc) is what I'm looking for.)I had this same problem with my first intall of free2006 and we resolved it. As I deserved, all the saved recommendations from you good Bruno people went away when I blew up my first free2000. My external HD was on the fritz (I found time now to get it going again) so I didn't have backups. CDs were too much bother.Well, let's keep pluggin'. Bruno has made a suggestion.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

I had this same problem with my first intall of free2006 and we resolved it.
I wish I remembered what we did . . . . . . :'(You can check all your posts in a simple way through the advanced search on the forum . . . or use the "Find members posts" in the "profile options" in your "profile": http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showuser=3023I did the search for you, here are ALL your posts: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...sult_type=posts:DWould you like a list of all my posts too ??? :hmm: ;) Bruno

I wish I remembered what we did . . . . . . :'(You can check all your posts in a simple way through the advanced search on the forum . . . or use the "Find members posts" in the "profile options" in your "profile": http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showuser=3023I did the search for you, here are ALL your posts: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...sult_type=posts:DWould you like a list of all my posts too ??? :lol: ;) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno, I appreciate your add-on assistance. I'll substantiate that by admitting I couldn't find "Find members posts in the profile options".I'm also trying to add "All Things Linux quicksearch" with my usual attack. Let's say, my pace may not be slow, but I'm liable to go from Rotterdam to Amsterdam by way of Sneek.To ??? I'll think about it, how many are there?albrtijo

how many are there?
Only 23,166 :PB) BrunoPS: Here is a bit more refined search: all the threads you posted that have the word "Mandriva":http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ghlite=MandrivaAnd here only 4 with the word "panel": http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...&highlite=panel( Mandriva + panel did return zero, so did kicker, taskbar, crash and a few more )