The Downfall of Suse and Alternatives

striker

i honestly dont know how Suse has so many followers, i tried it and got alot of help from Barry and yet i struggle with that distro more then any other i couldnt even update it, never figured that part, and yast was evil.... as far as Pclos i have made many copies and introduce it to as many friends who are trying linux and many love it.... as far as Mandrake dont want to disrespect Bruno because i know how much he loves it ... but whats annoying with it is tracking all the plugins and java and lil extras that dont come it .... personally i always struggled with rpm based distros but pclos does everything so well ... so pclos is installed on my new hd along with distros that i dont have to struggle with cos everything just works .... freebsd... debian 'sid' slackware + dropline of course :D vector soho, and installing ubuntu dapper .... and no suse !!! only rpm distro that i used for a long time with my debian was red hat 6 .. and also mandrake 9.2 was great ... but one thing i always struggled with was the rpm depencies, maybe because i am new to rpm base distros or because i spend 3/4 of my nix time in deb ... either way thats my 2 cents and dont mean to knock down anyones fav distros ...

It's no disrespect to Bruno. We are all allowed our own preferences and that's part of the beauty of Suse. I started having curl errors and constant problems with the updates in Mandrivia starting back at the Mandrake level. That's what caused me to migrate over. The Ubuntus just do not like my computer and the RCs I have tried on Suse left disappointment. The 9.3 was a beauty for me though. It worked. Slack has never been liked by my computer either. I have it on the tower in some form or another but it just does not like it so I don't touch it much. Where would we be without so many choices - in XP land?

... as far as Mandrake dont want to disrespect Bruno because i know how much he loves it ... but whats annoying with it is tracking all the plugins and java and lil extras that dont come it ...
LOL . . . . . no problem Steel . . . . . It is just that I am using Mandrake for so many years and always have the boxed versions so no trouble with plugins and drivers.For the ones watching my posts closely, they will have noticed I promote/advise ( maybe even push ? ) PCLos far more then Drake since the last 2 years.This said . . . . like Teach says: each one of you is all allowed our own preferences !:D Bruno

It's no disrespect to Bruno. We are all allowed our own preferences and that's part of the beauty Where would we be without so many choices - in XP land?
Hi Julia Thats very true and we are all passionate about our favourite distros, thats why i walk softly when talking about any distros that i dont like, cos it could be someones favourite.... as far as xp land... whats does XP stand for? Xtrem pain :P :P i have been window less for while, i guess i was like most folks would spend hours playing with regedit .. running xlite and deleting all the junk that comes bundled with Micro and taking a hex editor to explore... but after awhile you get bored with that and you start using a real system... i do have crossover and wine... but never had a need to use them yet... without linux comps would be so boring ....
LOL . . . . . no problem Steel . . . . . It is just that I am using Mandrake for so many years and always have the boxed versions so no trouble with plugins and drivers.For the ones watching my posts closely, they will have noticed I promote/advise ( maybe even push ? ) PCLos far more then Drake since the last 2 years.
Hi Brunoits true i know that you are like most of us and love pclos and thought you were passionate about mandrake as well .... Pclos is a great distro and all the work that Tex has put into is certainly appricated... lately i dont know whats up with many distros some are droping off Gnome B) evolution and Galeon ... now if they would include all those iteams it would be ' Cheers for years ' as someone would say :whistling:

and thought you were passionate about mandrake as well ....
Mandrake is indeed still my personal main-production-primary-distro indeed, it suits my needs . . . . but I do "promote" PCLos because I think it is best for people new to Linux and for people that like a simple easy to use distro that needs minimum of tweaking. In the "simple easy to use distro that needs minimum of tweaking" domain there is nothing like PCLos !I have other strong favorites too: Slackware . . . . . . and in the category "easy to use distro that needs little tweaking" the slack based Vector Linux :DD Small Linux is a favorite too . . . . . but not suited to "enforce" on everybody . . . :PSUSE and Fedora simply are not happy on my hardwareSo . . . . . now you know all my secrets B) :whistling: Bruno

I have other strong favorites too: Slackware . . . . . . and in the category "easy to use distro that needs little tweaking" the slack based Vector Linux :DD Small Linux is a favorite too . . . . . but not suited to "enforce" on everybody . . . :PSUSE and Fedora simply are not happy on my hardwareSo . . . . . now you know all my secrets :P
Bruno always nice to know the tools of the master :whistling: i would be a lil worried if you said Slackware, vector, and slax B) you mention one distro i never ever tried and thats Fedora, but after reading many posts here i am not in a hurry to try it either .... and yes Pclos is so easy even setting up dsl with 2 static dns's which i had to do was so easy .... start ---- configuration... pclinuxos control center ---- networking --- create a new network interface --- adsl ---ppp overeth ( pppoe) and set your info and pooof your all set .... wow thats easy ..... only thing that i did on my pclos was remove shorewall i dont like any firewalls on any distros .... only thing i am missing is Galeon i never installed on pclos i wonder if it would be safe?

Well, I hope I was clear enough : Suse lost me completely as customer. (Yes, OK, those last two distros I downloaded, but before those I bought them boxed.) I have much more believe in PCLinuxOS right now and to a somewhat lesser extend Mandriva. Better say I'm PCLinuxed ! :icon8: B)
Well I am sorry to hear that Striker :devil: I have been a fan of Suse since befor version 6.5 and have purchased every commercial version since then except 2 including my last one which was 10.0 Yes you are correct that they havn't put out a good stable release since 9.3 which is the only Suse on any of my computers right now. I have temporarly switched to Debian and Ubuntu. I havn't given up on Suse yet :P I am hoping that they will get their act together and start putting out a decent product again. :whistling: I still play around with the 10.1 distros of suse beta and alpha which solved some problems but created others.I have an Nvidia graphics card and use Yast to download and install the Nvidia drivers and enable 3D in Sax2.I run Tuxracer which requires 3D. No problems here with that. :zorro: Mel :P

I'm still using SuSE 9.0 and don't see why I should get the latest when this one works fine for me. I'm also a fan of Ubuntu, Xandros, Mandrake and Fedora.

I use Mandriva as my main distro and I love it, it works well on my hardware and worked well on my last computer as well. It is the bery first distro I ever installed so that might have a slight influence on me. I tried Suse on my old computer and it worked great, cant remember the version now. However it completely trashed my windows partition and it took Mandriva and Windows both formatting it to get it back to useable. I am surprised no one mentioned that with PCLos you don't have to reinstall everytime a new version comes out, because as long as you have done the updates you have the new version. Unless of course this has changed???

I am surprised no one mentioned that with PCLos you don't have to reinstall everytime a new version comes out, because as long as you have done the updates you have the new version. Unless of course this has changed???
We take it for granted and forget. However, there is a change coming in the GCC that will require a reinstall. That is not too far along yet that I am aware of at this point.

We take it for granted and forget. However, there is a change coming in the GCC that will require a reinstall. That is not too far along yet that I am aware of at this point.
I wish you were right Julia, but I am afraid it is still a long time away

ikerekesI'm assuming that the reason that it may be awhile is probably you guys and Texstar will take the time to do it right...seems like a good model to me :)

Edited by BarryB

I wish you were right Julia, but I am afraid it is still a long time away
Not too far along means that not much has been done yet. I think we are saying the same things. :) I have not seen much other than discussion of when to name it 1.0 and many thinking it should be after that.

Thanks Striker, I didn't really think I'd get flogged. But I wanted to be sure it came across the right way. This is a great forum and I appreciate the information.I knew Julia was a big fan of PCLos and a big reason why I wanted to take a look at it. I've been using Mandrake since about 9.2 and been upgrading to the new versions as they came out. It has always ran great for me and I have been real impressed with it. Of couse whenever I've had problems this forum was a great help. I've tried some other distros but have come back to Mandriva becuase it always work like I expected. However I enjoy trying new / different distros and like to check out what is interesting. I really think it helps me learn more about Linux in general.I currently loaded VectorLinux because it looks real interesting and is well thought of here; as is PCLos. I think I'll load PCLos and give it a closer look.When you are loading multiple distros on the same machine, are you creating a root partition for each distro and keeping the same home partition?- cybrmat

When you are loading multiple distros on the same machine, are you creating a root partition for each distro and keeping the same home partition?
Nope Cy . . . . . all those distros have their own /home partition ! Sharing the /home is asking for trouble :DB) Bruno

The only partition that gets shared is the swap partition. Every distro you install gets its own / and its own /home partition.