Hoax information

siebkens

I have people ask me from time to time about whether an email is a hoax & after covering the basics with them, I would like to be able to direct them to a good site so that next time, they can check it out themselves. I currently use Hoaxbusters at http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/Do you use a different site?-------------The trying to be a hoaxbuster Sieb! :D

I usually just do a search based on the subject of the email, then look for a reputable site or multiple confirmations of whether or not it's a hoax... LIke the site though! Will have to check it out and bookmark it! :D

Martini Lover

I use SNOPES for checking every virus, and urban legend that I get. Every one that I ever got has been easy to check, and has always been false.I usually copy the page, and send it to people who are on the CC list. I hope the person who sent it to me gets the hint!I wish they would take the forward button off email programs.When people have to cut and paste, a least it takes a little more work, and they think twice before they do it.

Guest LilBambi
Hoax Lookup (really fixed this time ... was having real typos! had back slashes!)Several very good to excellent sources on one page to check into depending on whether it's virus related hoax or an urban legend.I usually check several places, starting with Snopes too...mainly because you have the greatest chance of hitting it the first time there. Edited by LilBambi

Thanks guys for your suggestions! These look like great sites! :DThe one today was actually Klez masquerading as a preventative measure against getting Klez. I knew it wasn't true, but wanted to send more info about it. Couldn't find it at hoaxbusters. Found it at Symantec. Found it at SNOPES, first try!---------------Hoaxbusters! (Playing Ghostbusters theme song in background) B)

Guest LilBambi
Great links Fran!  :blink:  But I couldn't get it to work in Mozilla - had to use IE.  B)
Hey, Seib --Glad you liked the links.Might want to try again maybe you tried in Mozilla before I fixed the link ... I had a typing issue with the link when I first put it up ... it works fine in Mozilla, and Galeon in Linux, as well as IE and Firebird in Windows here.

Fran,Emptied cache, tried again. Went to downstairs computer, still couldn't get it to work in Mozilla 1.3b. B) --------------Will fall back to IE if I must!---------------Found the problem. The slashes are still showing up backwards in Mozilla. I browsed to it through the site with Mozilla & got there no problem. Maybe not quite fixed in previous post, but IE can still get there?

Guest LilBambi

Strange ... maybe they changed something in the later version and now it doesn't work ... wonder if others are having the same problem with Mozilla at the site?

Try refreshing the page... sometimes it takes that to get it to go... :)Fran, there seems to be an extra slash at the end of the link... think that's the problem

I tried new computer, reloading & emptying cache, but Mozilla is being stubborn. The address shows correctly in IE but incorrectly in Mozilla, so I don't think there is a problem with the page. I think Mozilla must be having a hiccup!!--------------The holding my breath to get rid of the hiccups Sieb! B)

Guest LilBambi

Ryan -- It was worse than that! Back slashes!LOL! Was doing too many things at once! I copied it from a local location on a windows computer, and corrected everything but the backslashes!It appeared to be right when I hovered but when I edited it to look, it had windows file system back slashes instead of the web/unix friendly forward slashes!

Fran - better now - works in Mozilla! :blink: IE must be able to overcome the backslash problem - pretty amazing!-----------No more hiccups! B)

Guest ThunderRiver

Out of topic, but one of my favorite hoax haha

Subject: FW: Read This-if you lick evelopes!A woman was working in a post office in California. One day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue.She went to the doctor, and they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really sore, so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out!!!! There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist.. This is a true story reported on CNN news.2) Andy Hume wrote: Hey, I used to work in an envelope factory. You wouldn't believe the things that float around in those gum applicator trays. I haven't licked an envelope for years!"3) To All: I used to work for a print shop (32 years ago) and we were told NEVER to lick the envelopes. I never understood why until I had to go into storage and pull out 2500 envelops that were already printed for a customer who was doing a mailing and saw several squads of roaches roaming around inside a couple of boxes with eggs everywhere. They eat the glue on the envelopes. I think print shops have a harder time controlling roaches than a restaurant. I always buy the self sealing type. Or if need be I use a glue stick to seal one that has the type of glue that needs to be wet to stick.PLEASE PASS THIS ON, if you like, TO YOUR FRIENDS. After reading this you will never lick another envelope or stamp ever again.
:o :D :o :o :lol: