Trouble Opening External Link with Firefox

Corrine

My profile for Firefox somehow got toasted back with 1.07. With the last Firefox update, I finally bit the bullet and removed all traces of Firefox from my machine (ok, I admit that I exported my bookmarks and logon cookies but everything else was wiped). I'm now running Firefox with limited extensions, QuickNote and BBCode being required. I have the option checked to open links from other applications in a new tab. Yet, when I click on a link from Thunderbird or IRC, etc., nothing happens. The link isn't even open in a new window, let alone a new tab. I've tried Tab Mix Plus and Tab Browser Pref. but they haven't helped.I'd open about:config and edit the preference myself, but don't know what to edit. Any suggestions?

Corrine, you're saying it never opens? How long have you waited?The reason I ask is that an occasional long delay is probably one of the most commonly reported annoyances of any (and I mean: every) version of Firefox.If you're saying that clicks of hyperlinks in other programs, such as email, just never open, that's not something I've heard of.Just a thought, what happens when you click a website shortcut icon on your desktop? I'm assuming that opens, but it's worth a double check.-- Scot

Scot, I put a shortcut on the desktop and that worked. The others didn't. I tested opening a URL from Thunderbird, Trillian and "ePrompter" (http://www.eprompter.com/ -- an email retrieval and notification program that works with webmail as well as POP3 accounts). No joy. :(From the link Gary provided:

Path SyntaxYou also need to use proper URI syntax for local file references. It is not proper to enter an operating-system-specific path, such as c:\subdir\file.ext without converting it to a URI, which in this case would be file:///c:/subdir/file.ext. In general, a file path is converted to a URI by adding the scheme identifier file:, then three forward slashes (representing an empty authority or host segment), then the path with all backslashes converted to forward slashes.
am I interpreting that as adding the following to user.js: user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks"); file:///C:/Program Files/Trillian/trillian.exe