• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• Marsden11

• b2cm

• striker

Sounds like your program may be the culprit.

Audacity 1.2.4 is a new stable version of Audacity. It includes a couple of bug fixes and minor improvements and is recommended for all users. Audacity 1.3.0 is a beta release that contains hundreds of new features, but this version is unfinished and unstable, and is recommended primarily for advanced users.
Try another sound editor to see if your system locks up.

Firstly, if you read my previous post, you'll see that Audacity cannot possibly be the culprit.Let me put this into a chronological perspective: - I installed XP about two weeks ago - I have had lockups at rate of once or twice a day since I installed XP - I only installed Audacity todayIt can't be Audacity. Obviously, however, Audacity does invoke or trigger what is the culprit. But what the culprit is, I don't know... :hmm:I am using 1.2.4, not 1.3.0.

Edited by epp_b

I'm no expert but, when you were working with the registry and yahoo I thinks you may have caused the problem. do a reinstall as you said you were and I think you'll solve it. My cpu has run at a high temp and at 100% many times and never locked up like yours is constantly. GOOD LUCK :DOr try to fix the registry:>}

coswalt23, I don't remember if I've said it here (feel free to search through the thread B)), but I have done a clean sweep and re-install of XP since the Yahoo mess. ....I'm still having lockups.

Yes, have the motherboard replaced if you can.

My previous board (K7SEM) with a SiS Chipset and SiS VGA worked wonderfully for three or four years.
If you've also tried K7S5A then, you would have seen the performance difference between a SiS chipset with a dedicated AGP port and one with an onboard VGA controller, especially with XP as operating system.

Simple question.Have you run your CPU at 100% for 24 hours?Run it at 100% for 24 hours and get back to us. If you have adequate cooling it should not be a problem.

Try this: www.primegrid.comDownload the BOINC client and run it for 24 hours. It will take your CPU to 100%. If your machine can run the BOINC client straight for 24 hours without locking up, you can eliminate CPU over heating.

Just a thought: could this have anything to do with S.M.A.R.T.?When recording audio, Audacity is constantly writing the temp files containing recorded audio to the hard drive... :'(

Edited by epp_b

I brought the PC back into the local shop on Wednesday and they replaced the motherboard with the updated model. This particular board has a VIA chipset.After running a repair installation of XP and installing a few new drivers, it seems to be working well so far.Just a side question: if I call to re-activate XP (it's nagging me now because too many hardware flags have changed), I should still be able to activate it online (without phoning) if I decide to wipe and re-install XP in a week or something, right?

epp_b,If you re-activate it now online and it is successful (which it should be) then re-installing it next week won't set off activation if you copy the wpa.dll or whatever it is that contains your activation and copy it to the new install. When you activate a file is created with your hardware hash, etc. copying that file to a re-install will not trip re-activation if no hardware changes have been made.

Nope, WPA says I'll have to phone in. Just to make sure I'm clear, I want to know if:1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without a problem?

I think you can copy the wpa file after activation. One way to do this easily is after you re-install, use a BartPE CD to do the copying.

I think you can copy the wpa file after activation. One way to do this easily is after you re-install, use a BartPE CD to do the copying.
I imagine it would work to use PartitionMagic's File Browser to place the file while the installation is inactive.So, you're saying that if I phone M$ today, I can re-install XP and copy over the file OR re-activate XP completely online...right??

What exactly are you trying to avoid?MS is not keeping a list of your WPAs. They really don't care if your HD crashes one day or your MB the next day... these things happen!I just did a clean install for a client Thursday. He installed his OEM copy of XP last year around October. WPA was done over the Internet without issue. Technically it was the 2nd time for WPA on that machine. He did not have to copy the WPA file to avoid making a phone call. It just worked over the Internet.I have found it much easier to just call the freaking number than to spend soooo much time and energy trying to avoid it. What is your time worth???

Sheesh, I just want a simple answer to my question. Yes or No...?

1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without making a phone call?

I don't see where a Yes or a No will change anything so what difference does it make?FWIW I have never had to call MS$ for XP activation. I replaced both my MB and processor after shorting out an upgrade and didn't have to call. I've replaced hds and reinstalled the OS from vendor Recovery disks and never had to call. I've restored my image backup and never had to call. etc. I've never worried about the WPA.

1. I call in today to re-activate2. I re-install it in a week, month, or yearWill I be able to re-activate it online OR copy the WPA file to the installation without making a phone call?
Today... you will have to call in.In a week you will have to call in.In a month you may or may not have to call in.Copy the WPA files to avoid calling in. Sometimes copying the files does not work and you will have to call it in. Your mileage will vary.In a year you will not need to call in for WPA. It will be automatic over the Internet.

Well, I re-installed today after phoning for re-activation (on my current install before re-installing) and I was able to re-activate it (on the re-install) online. Interesting... :hmm:Copying the files did not work.Thanks.

Edited by epp_b

Thanks, Bambi. I found it kind of dumb that they use a voice recognition system when it would be much faster and more accurate to use a system that just picks up the number you dial. In the end, it didn't even work and I talked to some guy I could barely understand and who hung up without any indication of doing so...