Problems with computer locking up

epp_b

Froze again today ... I checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS immediately afterwards, and it was still at 34C. I'm quite sure there are no thermal issues here.
Of course, you can expect the normal temp after freeze and restart. It is not like the chip traps the heat or the hardware monitor reports the temp before it the chip reach temp threshold.I still think it is CPU overheating. If not, hardware config.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• Marsden11

• b2cm

• striker

Of course, you can expect the normal temp after freeze and restart. It is not like the chip traps the heat or the hardware monitor reports the temp before it the chip reach temp threshold.
I didn't expect it to, but I don't how long CPUs take to cool off.
I still think it is CPU overheating. If not, hardware config.
I'm pretty sure the CPU is not overheating. I ran it up to 100% for a good 10 minutes without any problems.In fact, I think I have found the problem: Konfabulator. That, or the fact that it is an older version of Konfabulator and there is still a registry mess from the newer version dubbed "Yahoo Widget Manager". I disabled it yesterday and have not had a problem since. I also recorded in Audacity (from the same source) for 20-some minutes straight with no lockups while Konfabulator was disabled.I'm still going to start my re-install in a few minutes...

I didn't expect it to, but I don't how long CPUs take to cool off.
I had a similar experience with an AthlonXP/ECS K7VMM years ago during video file conversion or playing a scrabble game. I couldn't pin down cpu overheating because as soon as I reset the computer and check the hardware monitor in BIOS, the temps were normal. I was sure it was overheating only after I removed the casing side panel, trained a fan at the mobo and ran some tests, and the lockup did not resurface. My long-term solution was to reinstall the processor, replaced the Redfox heatsink/fan that came with the 'tray' AMD chip, and installed a 120mm case fan at the rear.As to CPU usage, if you have inadequate cooling (cpu and case) you don't need a 100% level to overheat the chip and trip some BIOS-level overheat protection system.
In fact, I think I have found the problem: Konfabulator. That, or the fact that it is an older version of Konfabulator and there is still a registry mess from the newer version dubbed "Yahoo Widget Manager". I disabled it yesterday and have not had a problem since. I also recorded in Audacity (from the same source) for 20-some minutes straight with no lockups while Konfabulator was disabled.
I hope that is it.
I'm still going to start my re-install in a few minutes...
I hope that is a fresh install.

way to go epp_b ! I tried those Konfab. and other Widget things a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 minutes I dismissed them all from my system and restored an image. I found those "playing things" just ..... (four letter word). They destabilize the machine, at least they did over here on two of my machines I tested it on. Switched back to good 'ol Sysmetrix.

way to go epp_b ! I tried those Konfab. and other Widget things a couple of weeks ago. Within 10 minutes I dismissed them all from my system and restored an image. I found those "playing things" just ..... (four letter word). They destabilize the machine, at least they did over here on two of my machines I tested it on. Switched back to good 'ol Sysmetrix.
It's too bad, because Konfabulator is a very handy little program with some pretty cool features. All it takes to build a useful widget is knowing how to work with Javascript, XML and ZIP files.

First, find a way to rule out processor overheating, as this is the most obvious of the possibilities. (If you can and have, do next)Second, reset the BIOS to factory default and reinstall the OS. If you have installed any add-on card, remove it first. (If the lockup still happens, do next)Third, look for any BIOS update from ECS and the latest motherboard drivers from SiS.

I've already re-installed the OS. I have not changed anything in the BIOS. The only thing that was changed (from the shop) was disabling the SATA controller. I have no PCI or AGP cards installed.

Edited by epp_b

Thanks, Marsden - I've already done that. On my previous install, I started from the earliest drivers available (on the CD). It made no difference.Anyway, I'm running on my re-installed copy now, so I'll see if this makes a difference B)

Edited by epp_b

After all this going through I would return it ASAP to where I bought it from.This is not normal and has nothing to do with not giving up. (And I would - but that's just my personal opinion - ask another brand of mainboard)

Upon bc2m's last suggestion, I updated my BIOS to the latest available version direct from ECS. The flash went A-OK and I haven't found there to be any [additional] problems (yet).We'll see if this fixes the lockups.

Can anyone suggest some programs I can use to test my hardware (RAM, CPU, etc.)? I'd prefer something bootable to put on a floppy disk.I've already tried MemTest86 and I'm going to let run again (unless I find something better), but this time, I'm going to run it straight through tonight until tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by epp_b

Can anyone suggest some programs I can use to test my hardware (RAM, CPU, etc.)?
Very expensive.http://www.smithmicro.com/default.tpl?sku=...up=product_fullHave the shop do the diagnostics. Have them replace the motherboard. If itis going to be another ECS board, choose a full ATX board without onboard video. And choose one with an Nvidia or Via chipset.

It is an ATX board and I like the onboard VGA.
I know. What I meant was not to choose (if given the option) a microATX or FlexATX board. I've handled a lot of ECS and Jetway mobos over the years, and have seen their FULL ATX boards to work as well (speed, stability) as those from 'expensive' mobo makers. On the other hand, problemmatic ECS and Jetway mobos usually were microATX (and BabyAT) with built-in SiS or Via video.

My previous board (K7SEM) with a SiS Chipset and SiS VGA worked wonderfully for three or four years.I have no reason to use a MicroATX or FlexATX as I am not confined to a small space or anything like that. I might just ask for a replacement of the exact motherboard.Anyway, I ran Memtest86+ straight through from about 11:30 PM yesterday (Saturday) to 12:00 PM today (Sunday). It reported a total of 11:37 (HH:MM), 22 passes, and zero errors. Sigh...

Ran Audacity again and everything froze up within about two seconds :(Note that since my re-install, I have had several lockups and I have only installed Audacity a few minutes ago. Something is being invoked somewhere...but it doesn't seem to be any specific software in general...BTW, I've also ruled out my hard drives (as far as physical properites go) because I use two separate hard drives alternatively. Yesterday I was using the hard drive that is now sitting on the shelf. Today, I wiped the drive I'm currently using and cloned the hard drive I was using yesterday.

Edited by epp_b

Do you have one stick of 1 Gig RAM or two 512 's? I didn't notice that mentioned in any of the posts. If you have two sticks I would take one out at a time and see if that helps. Faulty RAM can sometimes pass a memtest86 test B) . Does Event Viewer offer any leads?

Edited by daveydoom

2x512. I might try that yet, but XP activation is going to stick me with one vote then <_<I checked the event veiwer some time ago, and there's nothing in it at the times of the lockups.I'm going to see if I can get a new motherboard, RAM, and CPU on warranty.

I'd try it with one stick at a time before taking the whole thing back. Easy way to tell if it's RAM or not B) .If activation is a problem afterwards just call M$ and explain, they'll be able to help.