Please somebody help

johnnywylde

johnnywylde

Hi! Being a linux newbie, I have faced some problems with Mandrake 9.1, I can't figure out what to do. Please answer even if you don't know the exact solution but you are sure what configuration text files to fiddle with. (I have tried every graphical configuration tool, including webmin, AND searched the net but I had no luck)Here we go...1) When dialing to the net for the first time after a reboot with kppp, the modem hangsup immediately after negotiation, with ppd error code 16. However if I try connecting a second time everything is OK and I get online. Strange, huh?p.s. Recently, and for no reason kppp *always* hangs up with ppd code 19.(from windows I can connect normally)2)Some apps after they crash, do not reload when I relaunch them. They just appear on the taskbar as loading and then dissapear with no explanation. I am using KDE.3) Recently , my linux system doesn't act as expected when I logoff. Instead of logging on again as a different user, as I have specified, it just loads the xserver and greets me with a command prompt in a white box, in front of the graphical background that appears just before KDE initialises. I have to type KDE to make it load. Or sometimes the x-server doesn't load at all and I have my command prompt in console mode4)When I delete files using shift+del in konqueror, the files first get deleted and then I get asked if I am sure. If I answer yes, sure enough the file is not found, and if I answer no, it's too late...5) why can't I run webmin by placing a shortcut on the desktop (which runs the program as root), and I have to type su root -> webmin on a console to launch it?if anyone knows something, I would greatly appreciate his help.P.S. Please don't answer with Mandrake/KDE/Linux/whatever sucks, change it, because I happen to like all of this stuff and I am looking for a solution, not an alternative.

Hi johnnywyldeI see this is your very first post, welcome to the forum. :)You seem to have a lot of problems there, let me see if I can bring some light. ( I tend to start at the bottom, don´t know why :P )

P.S. Please don't answer with Mandrake/KDE/Linux/whatever sucks, change it, because I happen to like all of this stuff and I am looking for a solution, not an alternative.
I´m a big Mandrake fan myself and would never advice you such things !
5) why can't I run webmin by placing a shortcut on the desktop (which runs the program as root), and I have to type su root -> webmin on a console to launch it?
Because your desktop is the ¨user¨ desktop, on the ¨root¨ desktop this would be possible, only it is not a good advice to be running a root-desktop, so the console-trick with su is the best alternative.
2)Some apps after they crash, do not reload when I relaunch them. They just appear on the taskbar as loading and then dissapear with no explanation. I am using KDE.3) Recently , my linux system doesn't act as expected when I logoff. Instead of logging on again as a different user, as I have specified, it just loads the xserver and greets me with a command prompt in a white box, in front of the graphical background that appears just before KDE initialises. I have to type KDE to make it load. Or sometimes the x-server doesn't load at all and I have my command prompt in console mode4)When I delete files using shift+del in konqueror, the files first get deleted and then I get asked if I am sure. If I answer yes, sure enough the file is not found, and if I answer no, it's too late...
This is a bigger problem, my questions are: did you download the ISO´s and did you do a checksum on them before burning them to CD ? What did you use to burn them ?Sometimes little integrety-faults can install fine but give these kind of problems later. How is the health of your HD ? Any bad sectors ?Also did you do ALL the updates in the MCC ? + 200 MB ? If you know for sure your CDs are 100% and you did the updates and your HD is healthy. the only advice I can give you is a re-install, it sometimes happens that an install is just not happy, doing it again often turns a smile on the install. ( sounds weird I know, but still it is ! )
Hi! Being a linux newbie
You know, johnny, we try to avoid the word ¨newbie¨, I think it does no right to the efforts we, also the starters, give to learn a new operating system. :D ( as you can see I took the liberty to edit it out of the title of your thread. :) )Hope you have some answers here, any more questions are welcome, just ask and we will try to give you the answers.B) Bruno

Yea-Bruno,Way to go, on letting johnny know this is one of the best linux forums around. We don't care what brand of linux anyone uses! Just don't call us ne@bie$. :) :D Johnnywylde! You have found a second home here! Bruno skipped the modem problem but if you give more information on your modem type, brand name and driver. I am sure it will be taken care of.mike180I know teacher. Don't end a sentence with a preposition. :P B) :)

You´re right Mike I should have included the modem problem in the big quote about general buggy software . . modem brand and numbers do help. Thanks Mike ! ( See Johnny that´s how we help eachother over here ! ):P Bruno

johnnywylde

Ok, thank you all for the warm welcome! :( My modem vendor & device id is (11c1,0442). Though I suspect it has nothing to do with it because other mandrake users have the same problems with their modems.My HD is quite healthy, never had any problems with it. I downloaded the installation images from a high speed conncetion from the university campus and burnt them on cds using a powerbooks superdrive. The installation was ok on other pcs. I am using reiserFS but I must admit I just had to press reset a couple of times when the keyboard and mouse went non-responsive. I just wish that there was a way to make the cpu power button shut down the system instead of cutting off power so that I wouldn't have to reset it. And once, ardour killed the X server the instant I launched it!!!I have not installed the updates because I cannot get my pc near a reasonably fast conncetion. If I could get them on CD it would be fine.Finally does anybody have any idea why linux installations in general (I have tried suse too but I don't like it) tend to lose stability over time? I mean some settings (display specific mainly, fonts, login,logout options) change all by themselves, I can't explain it.Is this caused by crashes?Don't get me wrong I think linux is a great OS with much better potential than Windowswhatever but there are some major quirks that need to be addressed.

Hi JohnnyPART 1Looks like your situation is not an easy one, but there are ways to get around it.

Finally does anybody have any idea why linux installations in general (I have tried suse too but I don't like it) tend to lose stability over time? I mean some settings (display specific mainly, fonts, login,logout options) change all by themselves, I can't explain it.Is this caused by crashes?
Well, you kind of did give the answer yourself here, crashes are not really good for the stability of your system, sometimes things get lost as the system filecheck fixes things. Pressing the ¨reset¨ button is something you NEVER should do ! There are other ways: check out the 2 first Tips in the thread: Tips for Linux Starters, and print the story ¨if all else fails¨ and hang it next to your computer.
I have not installed the updates because I cannot get my pc near a reasonably fast conncetion. If I could get them on CD it would be fine.
There is the major cause of your problems ! I know being on dial-up has its limitations, but if you had checked every few days for new updates, the amount would each time be reasonable. At this moment we´re at + 200MB of important bug-fixes and security-updates. DrakX, as an example is extremely buggy without those updates, mozilla too, X too, KDE too . . . . There is a way to download the updates on another computer, burning them to CD and then install them on your own computer. I will post the link in my next post ( have to do some research first, and their server is having some problems at the moment ).So, Let´s make a plan, here is the deal: you first do a checksum on those CD´s ( page 8 of the tips, different from normal checksum ! ), then do a complete re-install ( see basic rules page 8 of the tips ), I´m going after the updates and we´ll get those bug-fixes on your box. You never push the RESET button again, and we will get your system running sweet as candy !:( Bruno

Hi Johnny,PART 2Here is the info for the manual updates:The list of update mirrors Pick a mirror ( with a recent date behind it ) and look for 9.1. and then RPMS, these are all rpm so easy to install, it is an impressive list, I know, you will nearly need them all. ( if you do not run a server, you probably don´t, you can skip the apache and the snort packages, but do need all the lib packages, kde, gnome, mozilla, galeon, cdrecord, cups, drakx etc. etc. ). install the lib packages first.Here and Here are other pages you might want to look at. This is how to do it in the middle of the page you see:

If you want to upgrade manually, download the updated package(s) from one of our FTP server mirrors and upgrade with "rpm -Fvh *.rpm".
I do know that this version 9.1 is having more updates then previous versions, the pressure to come with new releases sometimes has a bad effect on the final product. The day I got my pre-ordered PowerPack already 100 MB updates were on the mirrors. Even after install and updating I found there were plenty of weak spots ( bugs ) still present. The second 100 MB updates, spread out over a month time, made a huge improvement on the stabillety of my system.Hope you will get things sorted.:( Bruno

johnnywylde

Hi Bruno you 're great!!!Thanks for all the trouble you've been into to help me out. :DUnfortunately I won't be trying it right away cause my university finals have just begun and re-installations are way too time consuming for me right now. But I 'll do that afterwards for sure. Meanwhile I will be visiting this forum and reading the conversations. Great job you 're doing here!Yannis

Yannis, you´re very welcome ! Was a pleasure posting with you. Glad you like the forum and did decide to stick around. Hope you will get a smooth running Mandrake soon !;) Bruno

KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS TO BRUNO. I'm so glad to have finally found forum, that has such a great companion; to let's us learn and experience different distros. A person that loves Mandrake; but is not stuckup about his distro, but willing to help and, even searches for answers.DUDE! You found us or we found you. "God bless us; everyone." (tiny tim @A Christmal Carol)THXmike180

Yes - We can't thank Bruno enough and the rest of the great people here that answer the questions people ask. Peachy is another one that has helped me out with linux questions. I've been using linux on and off over years, but I have learned more here in a couple months than I have in years. It's great to have a friendly linux section and I have been recommending it to other people that are just getting into linux also.I dont know if anyone has noticed but the linux section has the most posts. Now that there alone is a real eye opener.

:blink: I agree, we'd all be floundering around in Linux limbo without Bruno.
Floundering around in Linux without Bruno? Heck, I would be venting my frustration at Bill with nothing to do about it without Scot and Bruno. This is just a great place to hang out. I know I would not be dual booting without the forum. I am spending more and more time on the Linux side. Poor Bruno has had to tell me to go back to XP sometimes and quit trying to do everything in Linux at once. Must be all those crashes........__________________________Another SFNL Fan :)

YO! Bruno!Don't get such a sweald(BIG) head. My spelling su$#'s(not SuSE) :) ?Peachy and Thunder :D :) :lol: . Oh: and let's not forget Quint the forever tring this and that. :) ;) :blink: :lol: :lol:EDIT: SEWELD? SWLELD? SWELLED? SWEALLD? Is one of these right?thx to all that help in my spelling problens: problems; thanks.mike180

Bruno, thanks for all your time and effort. This is without doubt the most Linux user friendly group, anywhere. I predict that this forum's will grow rapidly as the word gets out. Also, special thanks to those other Linux users that track this group and lend a helping hand, too.Ken

EDIT: SEWELD? SWLELD? SWELLED? SWEALLD? Is one of these right?thx to all that help in my spelling problens: problems; thanks.mike180
swollen. We tend to use swell but that is not a correct usage. That would mean grand when what we mean is large or swollen!____________________Ever the teacher :blink:

QUOTE (mike180 @ Jun 10 2003, 06:01 AM)EDIT: SEWELD? SWLELD? SWELLED? SWEALLD? Is one of these right?thx to all that help in my spelling problens: problems; thanks.mike180swollen. We tend to use swell but that is not a correct usage. That would mean grand when what we mean is large or swollen!____________________Ever the teacher biggrin.gifHow did this get here??????????????????Wrong place ouch??!!!Thanks alot guysand gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!let everyone know I can't spell "I'll be back" he said.

QUOTE (mike180 @ Jun 10 2003, 06:01 AM)EDIT: SEWELD? SWLELD? SWELLED? SWEALLD? Is one of these right?thx to all that help in my spelling problens: problems; thanks.mike180swollen. We tend to use swell but that is not a correct usage. That would mean grand when what we mean is large or swollen!____________________Ever the teacher biggrin.gifHow did this get here??????????????????Wrong place  ouch??!!!Thanks alot guysand gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!let everyone know I can't spell  "I'll be back"  he said.
SWELLED It was # 4 of 5 spellings

My dear friends You´re a great bunch, but you should not exaggerate either . . . . . we´re in this together . . . the forum would be nothing without all of you in there. We moderators are there to regulate the traffic and give answers where we can . . . all of us ( including yourself ) try to give our best effort and create this great atmosphere . . . . . I´m just happy that we succeeded making it to the fine place it is. So, thanks from all of us to all of you . . . . let´s get to work and answer a few questions people are posting. :( :( Bruno

Hi ALL, I've been meaning to jump in here for the last few days, but just didn't get the chance. (except for my "R" rated video clip I linked in the Water cooler....Oooops! )I've been thinking that maybe we can get the Linux side of the Forum sub-Forumed(?). Like one for Hardware probelms, Software issues, Fresh installs. Configuration stuff, uh, Partitioning, etc. etc. I don't know enough to even think about what would be a good breakdown. But I DO know that I sometimes have a problem finding info I know I've seen there somewhere before.I think the support we get here is excellent, sometimes the answers come so fast, that some of you are actually computers yourself!!!! :(

Edited by Bruno

Hi ALL, I've been meaning to jump in here for the last few days, but just didn't get the chance.  (except for my "R" rated video clip I linked in the Water cooler....Oooops! )
Oh man, I miss all of the good stuff!! :(

Sorry teacher,Cross post over and under. You are right it is swollen head. So, Bruno! Don't get a swollen head but we love you. And all the other people that make linux and this forum so much fun.Thx all,mike180